How does one contact Forest River?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireFighter38

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows how a person can contact Forest River directly, hopefully through email.  There is nothing listed on their website on how to contact them.  I have a Surveyor trailer purchased on the Mainland of BC and I live on Vancouver Island.  The dealership on the island really doesn't want much, if anything, to do with my trailer since I didn't buy from them and it costs too much to take it to the mainland just for warranty work.  I'm curious if there are any local RV repair shops that are authorized to do warranty work or what Forest River can suggest as an alternative.

Thanks for any help!!
Corey

hi corey it is ed are you having trouble with your surveyor fw if so is it something i should watch for when i pickup my surveyor fw?
ed

this is what i found

Forest River, Inc. strongly encourages our retail customers to purchase from their local dealership whenever possible due to the following factors:

Our Dealers are as a rule, independently owned and operated businesses. Outside of those customers they personally sold products to, they are not contractually obligated to perform warranty service on Forest River products that were purchased elsewhere. There may be an occasion that you would be required to return to the point of purchase to satisfy warranty requirements.
    * Although many dealerships will eventually service products not purchased at their place of business, they will usually take care of their customers and other Forest River customers who are traveling away from their local dealer as they would their own.
    * Local purchases allow a customer to establish a relationship with a dealer close to home. This relationship provides the customer with a convenient location for service and support from a "home town" professional.
    * The opportunity for a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and product orientation is an additional benefit of buying from your local dealer. Further providing the opportunity for refresher courses or the ability to get questions answered much more conveniently.
    * For our Canadian customers, there are also requirements which must be met to bring an RV purchased out of the country to their home. Although not insurmountable, these requirements may involve such things as additional inspections and certifications, taxes and fees. Your local Canadian Dealer is a professional at meeting these requirements.

Forest River's goal is for all RV Owners to fully enjoy their RV experience. In light of this goal, and considering the advantages of buying local, we encourage you to be thorough when determining what product to purchase and which dealer to purchase it from as both are key to your ultimate satisfaction and the realization of your dreams.

It appears that Forest River wants to stay at arms length from their real customers - not a good sign.

I found this statement in a product recall notice:

"OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FOREST RIVER AT 1-574-389-4600"

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, I am beginning to realize that I should have bought from the dealership in my city.  I only bought from the other dealership because of all the good things I had heard and, from what I knew at the time, it was the closest one to me.  I stopped in there on my way back home while on vacation to check out the Surveyors... I didn't actually expect to walk out actually purchasing a trailer!!  No regrets for the most part though.  Afterwards, I got off of the ferry on Vancouver Island and as I drove past the RV dealerships located on the highway, I saw that one of the dealerships also carried the Surveyor, I didn't realize it.  When I had looked up Surveyor dealerships online, all I found was the dealership I bought from and another one in the Okanagan.  The next day, I went in to the local dealership and tried to make a deal with them thinking that I'd just cancel the other deal since they said the trailer wouldn't be ordered for another couple of days.  Well they were open but only had one salesman who was sick and the salesmanager couldn't help me out.  They just didn't give me the warm and fuzy feeling so I stayed with the dealership I had already purchased from. 

My dealership in Abottsford said that it's no problem for me to deal with the other dealership on the island, however, the local dealership keeps delaying my appointments for the past 4 months now.  Are dealerships usually the only places that do warranty work or are there authorized service centers at local RV repair shops that are not dealerships??  I guess I can call around and ask.  I will though try the number that you gave me RV Roamer, thanks for that.  You would think though that a business makes loads of money from warranty work so they would want all they can get.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Fordman said:
hi corey it is ed are you having trouble with your surveyor fw if so is it something i should watch for when i pickup my surveyor fw?
ed

Hi Ed, well there were some troubles I found during the PDI which were as follows.... 

- caulking in the outside fridge panel was not sealing everything so they redid it.
- Some caulking was missing around the stripping on the front nose cap.
- an outside rear corner strip was not attached properly, was starting to come off after the trip from the factory.  Its driven all the way from the factory in Goshen, Indiana and I guess it was coming off in the wind.  They said that the repair is much stronger than what gets done at the factory.
- There was a tear, which had been re-sewn, on one of the bunk matress covers.  I didn't want a fixed one so they ordered a new one which they offered to do anyways
- The fabric finshing around some of the windows was discoloured, looked white, so they reordered new valances.
- The fabric trim over the wood on the back of the seat (between table and pull out couch) looked as if it had been rubbed and was worn down to the wood.
- The stereo has a lot of hiss to it and they think something was installed wrong.
- one of the outdoor speakers don't work.  I never tried the sppeakers during the PDI.

Basically, I went through pretty much everything with a fine tooth comb and they were fine with that.  They fixed things they could at the time and reordered things that they couldn't fix.  Anyways, these are a few of the things that you can keep you eye open for as well.  Take care....

Corey

hi corey sorry to hear about your trouble with your fw but it sounds like your dealer is good about it
i hope you get everything fixed the way you want it
i get my fw in about three weeks so i will check out everything well good luck and i will let you know how mine turns out
ed

Thanks Ed, when you get yours pay particular attention to the caulking, that was the biggest area on mine (the window valances being discoloured were a big area as well).  They had everything caulked but it looked like a very quick, thinly done job and the dealer will redo it for you if you aren't happy with it.  They even told me that is usually an area done by some teenager doing a quick job.  I look forward to hearing how yours turns out.  I was very impressed overall.  Looked great especially since I was expecting last years interior colour, what a nice upgrade they did in the colours this year.  You'll love that electric awning!  Can't wait to finally go out and use it!!

Corey

hi corey   
and thanks for the info i will take a close look at my trailer
anyway is there any good places to camp  where you are?
i would like to try it if it dont cost to much to get there
if you ever come to edmonton send me a email lots of nice
lakes around her.
well take care corey talk to you sooner or later

ed

Thanks Honest John for the email addresses, I appreciate it.

--------------

Ed, loads of nice places to camp on the Island.  Check out http://www.discovercamping.ca/searchbyregion.aspx?region=vi .  I live almost right beside the Goldstream Provincial Park which is quite nice and just outside of Victoria (20 min).  Further up the island, about 35 min outside of Victoria is Bamberton which is even nicer in my opinion because its very close to the ocean.  Even further is Rathtrevor, just north of Nanaimo and pretty much on the ocean which is a favourite of a lot of my friends.  Gordon Bay, Elk Falls, Miracle Beach, Sprout Lake all really nice ones.  Lots of really nice campgrounds on the island, some are a little small though or in an area where I wouldn't bring my trailer, none of which I mentioned though.  In the interior of BC, my favourite is Shuswap Lake Provincial Park... and in Alberta, Kananaskis has to be my favourite for all the paved biking trails they have there.  I'm actually going to Edmonton in July but without my trailer.  I'm going to take the kids (and wife) on the train through the Rockie Mtns to West Edmonton Mall.  I'm in the military and Via Rail has an offer for military members for travel in July that I just couldn't pass up.  Myself and my kids were free and my wife was 50% off.  Unreal.  Anyways, guess I'm starting to ramble on here....  take care.

Corey

These might help:
Forest River Ph. Number, 574-389-4600
Forest River Parts Dept. 574-262-2212
Rockwood & Flagstaff (219) 533-5934
3010 College Ave
Goshen, IN 46517

Forest River Accessories. 574-537-8016
Mailing Address:
Forest River Accessories
P.O. Box 3030
Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030

Shipping Address:
Forest River Accessories Div.
3010 College Ave.
Goshen, Indiana 46528

Please use the following phone numbers for parts & warranty information for Forest River Flagstaff

Flagstaff Sales:
Gene Cronin: [email protected]
(810) 635-3682 Fax (810) 635-4717

Main Phone Number Millersburg Plant: (574) 642-2640
Fax number for Parts Millersburg Plant: (574) 642-4999

Parts Dept
Tent Camper Parts - U.S.A.
Stephanie Little: [email protected]
(574) 642-2640 Ext. 121

Tent Camper Parts - U.S.A.
Jerry Haas: [email protected]
(574) 642-2640 Ext. 127

Travel Trailer Parts
Sherry Hoover.
email: [email protected]
(574) 642-2640 Ext. 118

Travel Trailer / 5th Wheel & Shamrock Parts - U.S.A.
Todd Stringfellow: [email protected]
(574) 642-2640 Ext. 125

Warranty Contact
8' Travel Trailer Warranties
Jeff Richardson: [email protected]
(574) 642-5166
Fax (574) 642-2633

Flagstaff Sales Coordinator
Jean Neely: [email protected]
(574) 534-4789
Fax (574) 533-2965

Thanks alot for the info.  I think I'll try calling the number you provided me for Goshen, IN because that is where my trailer was made (Surveyor), although a different address, same street though according to the tally plate on my trailer.  Thanks again for the numbers.

Corey

hi corey did you get your fifthwheel fixed the way you want it?
i have my surveyor fw now and it is pretty good for the most part.
i am having some troubles with the hot water tank and the way
the drawers are installed but other then that it is good.sorry corey
i should tell you it is ed talking
my comp crashed and i lost all my bookmarks or i would of sent you a
email when i got the fw so i thought i would drop you a line now.
we had the fw out two times so far and not much trouble so
i hope it stays that way
well send me a email and bring me up to date on your fw
ed

good luck getting through to any of those #s. My dealership was having problems getting some issues approved. o I started making calls daily without even a returned callback. My dealership ended up taking care of everything. I dont know if they ever got paid without the repair approval. I do know they have a happy customer

Hi Ed, congrats on your new fifth wheel!  Whats the problem with your hot water tank?  I saw your model at a dealership and had a look, very nice!!  Mine is all good to go except for the fabric that they keep ordering which shows up as the wrong colour.  Definitely not a show stopper.  I to had problems with a couple drawers.  They realigned them and they work fine now.  The only problem I am having now is with the solar charging system I had installed.  I upgraded to 2 AGM 12V batteries with a 130 watt solar panel (all part of the deal) but they never seem to keep a charge past 12.4 volts.  A friend of mine has the same system but with two 6 volt batteries and his keeps a charge in the 13+ volt range and is rarely below 13 volts after a weekend of use.  The dealership told me that its because there is always a draw on the batteries with the stereo and the CO2 detector but then again so does my friends trailer I would think.  No idea what to do or how to get it checked really.  Guess its time for another post on here, hehe.  Anyways, hope you are enjoying your summer so far.  Take care!

Corey 

Sorry Ed, just read your post on the issues with your ho****er tank after I wrote my last message to you.  I had an issue with mine as well but it was all me.  I didn't know about the bypass valve and the dealer had winterized my unit.  This past spring when I de-winterized, I could get water in the hot water tank, a simple call to the dealer told me exactly what to do.  Have you called your dealer and mentioned this problem to them??  I also had one other issue with the hot water but I will post that in the proper thread you started.

Corey

I'm expecting to pick up my new Forest River Rockwood 8319SS on the 29th of the month.  I did not know that Forest River was such a hard company to deal with. 

We were looking at an Okanogan Trailer and found a discrepancy between the tongue weight on their website (550 pounds) and the brochure (995 pounds) I was able to phone the manufacturer (googled the company) and was given a clear answer (995) and chatted with someone at the firm.  I didn't give a second thought to not being able to connect with the manufacturer if I needed to.  Making me nervous here. 

Since receiving the phone numbers from this post, Forest River has been, let's say, not great to deal with.  The person I spoke to on the phone had no idea what customer service is and made me feel like I was just some idiot newbie.

As for Okanagan, my parents are on their second one now and love the service they get straight from the manufacturer.  They actually live in the Okanagan Valley about an hour away from where they are made.  They recently had a problem with the trailer and the manufacturer contacted a dealer in their city (they didn't buy the trailer in the same city where they live) and worked with them to get it fixed. A lot of dealers do not like to deal with warranty issues if you did not buy the trailer from them because the manufacturers don't often pay back the dealer for all the work that was done. Okanagan knows this and this is why they dealt with this other dealer and authorized them to do the work that was needed.  I had some warranty work done with my 5er at another dealership from where I purchased from back in May and am still waitng to be reimbursed for the cost.  I had to shell out the dollars to get teh work done and then submit a claim to the dealer I bought the trailer from to get reimbursed.  Both dealerships told me that Forest River often screws the dealers in warranty work which is why dealers don't like to do warranty work on your trailer if you didn't by from them. 

Anyway, pretty long winded here but for service, Okanagan wins hands down.

Corey 

Well we went for the Forest River product, a Rockwood 8319SS.  We did go look at the Okanogan but were very unimpressed with the dealer (well at least their sales people).  The trailers were also were too small, or rather our truck was too small to pull the one I would be happy with - the price was also almost 50% more than the Rockwood. 

I'm hoping our dealer was being straight with me when he said he's never had any issues with Rockwood warranty work.  I bought from a small dealer in a small town, counting on great service.  His prices on the Rockwood were 10,000 less than a similar unit in the city at the "volume dealer".  No fancy showroom, no sales team (bought from the owner / operator). 

We've taken it out for one weekend and so far so good.  It is close to the max my current truck can pull, but the lease is up in 2010 and we'll upgrade the truck to fit the trailer better then, in the meantime it can pull it OK. 

Based on what I've read in on-line RV forums I'm thinking the $100 second year bumper to bumper would be a good investment.

Back
Top Bottom