How Far South?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Whenever there is a question about winterizing, someone usually recommends driving south until it is warm. Don't know how far south that is required now. The forecast for Thanksgiving Day in Goodyear, AZ is high of 58? and a low of 28?.

Funny...I was just wondering the same thing.  Looked like the southern edges of the US lkie Padre Island area of Texas and the southern tip of Florida. (I think commonly called The Keys??)  One of those is where I plan to be next winter!

If anyone is in their RV in Las Vegas, they're expecting a hard freeze for the next two nights (Wednesday and Thursday) so be sure to take in your water hoses and protect any plants you might have taken outside.  Not far enough south!

ArdraF

I always heard that you should duct tape a snow shovel to the front of your vehicle and start driving south.  When people point and stare and ask you what it is, you are far enough.

When I was in Bozeman, Home Depot had their snow blowers out in Oct. Down here in Texas, they got the tillers out.  ;D

Our home base is in north central Florida and we get some freezing nights in January & Feb. Nice days, but still really cold nights. You have to get south of Vero Beach, FL to have nights above freezing.

A couple of years ago we were in Death Valley freezing our ho-ho's off. Headed south to Joshua Tree. Froze off what was left there (low was 8 degrees, RV park ran out of propane). Kept going south. When we got to Salton Sea, the highs were in the high 60s which felt delightful to us. We were prepared to continue traveling south until we were no longer cold.

Wendy
San Elijo State Beach

From the deep dark depths of the frozen arctic waste comes the mournful cry of the kiki bird. KIKIKIKEERIPES IT'S COLD. -5C here today, coldest Nov 23 on record. Supposed to rain Thursday.

Bernie:

Come up to Surprise, Weather Underground is only forecasting 32F for us. :mad:

COMer said:
I always heard that you should duct tape a snow shovel to the front of your vehicle and start driving south.  When people point and stare and ask you what it is, you are far enough.

Now THAT is funny! ;D

We get that reaction to extension cords hanging over the front bumper. ;D Seriously, in most of the Great White North, we need to plug our vehicles in to make them go in the morning.

Last year we stopped for the night in Lake
City AR.  There was a couple from WI sitting by there trailer having a brew.  Being from WI originally I struck up a conversation with them.  They had left the day before and had stopped to dewintertize.  I was cold at 50 degrees, they were basking in the sun in shirt sleeves.  Just goes to show, everyting is relative.

COMer said:

You do not appear to be a southerner. Duct tape on anything would not raise an eyebrow in the south.  :D

rjf7g said:
Now THAT is funny! ;D
True story from when I moved from New Hampshire to the Los Angeles area 10 years ago.  I was telling the folks at my new job how I had to sell a lot of my home and garden gear, as it was no longer necessary in my new L.A. home - things like my lawn tractor and attachments, roto-tiller and snow blower.  One of the folks (an L.A. native) gives me a blank stare and asks "What's a snow blower?"

When we left So Dak 17 years ago, the truck was so full we hadto leave several things behind including 3 worn snow shovels.  I said I will get a new on next year.  It hasd been 17 years and I still do not own one.  Here in Arkansas we practice the heavenly form of snow removal," The good lord put it there, he will take it away."

It's not just south but lower... we're pretty far south but it was 6 deg last night.  Heat wave tonight 16.

Back a few years ago, I lived in McAllen, Tx - that's pretty far south for those of you who never look at a map.  Many homes have automated lawn sprinkler systems buried in the ground and ours was one of them.  We came back to good ol Missouri for Christmas one year.  When we headed back to Tx, a winter blast hit us on the way, forcing us to drive on icy roads between Austin & San Antonio (which is another story).  The cold front continued south just ahead of us all the way to McAllen.  When we got home, our yard looked like a winter wonderland.  It had frozen in McAllen.  Our automated sprinkler system was pretty smart in that when the temperature got below freezing, it would turn on to keep from freezing the underground pipes.  Well, that part worked.  We had 2 or 3 sprinkler heads spraying a fine mist into the air which promptly froze.  Around each sprinkler head it looked like some kind of big ice covered bush.  The only thing was, it was just ice.  Also, our yard was a bit torn up.  Seems the neighborhood kids took advantage of the ice and turned our yard into a winter playground.

During this same cold snap, many homes had pipes burst in their attics.  Seems a lot of builders put water heaters in the attic and ran plumbing up there so they could save the expense of plumbing on a concrete slab floor.  My boss at the time had gone to Chicago for Christmas.  When he got back, his sunken living room was a swimming pool.

So, how far south is far enough?

When we moved south I tied a snow shovel on the roof and drove until someone asked me "what that thing was?". That's far enough south for me!!

Seriously, drive until you see coconut palms, they don't do well in the cold and they love the tropics,, If you are going to Florida anything south of Tampa is generally safe.

taoshum said:
It's not just south but lower... we're pretty far south but it was 6 deg last night.  Heat wave tonight 16.

Tucson is about 130 miles SE of us but 1,000 ft higher elevation. It has been colder during this cold snap.

If you are going to Florida anything south of Tampa is generally safe.

Most of the time.  One year at Christmas we had snow in Sarasota.  Not much and it didn't stick but it was cold and we were wearing the parkas we brought for the trip north after Christmas.  Our nephew wanted to go into the water at Siesta Key.  Took a couple of steps in and practically jumped out!  It was a good photo op - walking in the water in a parka.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom