How HIP are you? Can you sing along to any of these Billboard top 10 songs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Well, I suppose that even the term "hip" is out of fashion, but obviously I am as well. Looking at this list of Billboard's top 10 songs, I only recognize three artists. All the others, songs & artists-- never heard of 'em. Am I just too "out of it" these days?? :unsure:

1. Anti-Hero - Taylor Swift
  2. Kill Bill - SZA
  3. Unholy - Sam Smith & Kim Petras
  4. I'm Good (Blue) - David Guetta & Bebe Rexha
  5. Creepin' - Metro Boomin, The Weeknd & 21 Savage
  6. Die For You - The Weeknd
  7. Rich Flex - Drake & 21 Savage
  8. As It Was - Harry Styles
  9. Bad Habit - Steve Lacy
  10. Something In The Orange - Zach Bryan
Ok, never mind. It looks like I answered my own question. Looking back at the top 10 in 1970-- I recognize all ten-- songs and artists. :rolleyes::(
  1. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
  2. (They Long to Be) Close to You - The Carpenters
  3. American Woman - The Guess Who
  4. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head - B.J. Thomas
  5. War - Edwin Starr
  6. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
  7. I'll Be There - The Jackson 5
  8. Get Ready - Rare Earth
  9. Let It Be - The Beatles
  10. Band of Gold - Freda Payne

All my life I have been into Country Music. But I do recognize and remember several from the second list. Absolutely none form the first.

Sonny James, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsey Cline, Hank Snow, Marty Robbins, Dottie West, Loretta Lynn, Farron Young, Patti Page, Buck Owens, Roger Miller, The Browns (also Jim Ed Brown who went solo from The Browns), Conway Twitty, Floyd Cramer, Jim Reeves, Tammy Wynette, Lynn Anderson, Jerry Reed, Freddy Fender, Statler Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, Roy Rogers, Kenny Rogers, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Skeeter Davis, Jimmy Dean, Reba McIntire, Jeannie C Riley, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams (and the Junior), Hank Locklin.... and oh, the list goes on and on.

I suppose that's why I STILL listen to "Willies Road House" on my XM radio in the truck (Channel 59), because they play all the oldies there.

Don't get me started on Bluegrass!.....

I get a total "F" = ZERO
Have never been interested in music/singing, not do I particularly enjoy it.

I recognize a good handful of artists in the modern top 10 and definitely the older top 10.

I’m Good (Blue) is actually a remixed / re-imagined song from the 90’s and it’s kinda fun, if you don’t mind the swear word.

I guess music doesn’t really define who I am, I can like just about anything. But you’ll rarely hear me listening to country…not sorry. Like hymns or something, you gotta have a reference point to get into it and I was not raised listening to country music.

"The problem" with modern music is that it's engineered. Some of the stuff you might enjoy in modern genres might not be entirely up to you. it's designed to evoke the good feelings and brain orgasms induced by audio and certain rhythms. In short, music has become a formula to make revenue. It's a different kind of artistry, and there is still real talent in music. Autotune and algorithms have changed everything, however.

I go back to Cher as a good example of this. Cher is older than dirt and I love her. She was old when I was hitting early adulthood. My parents loved Cher.

Cher went electronic in the late 90's. Remember the song "Believe" with its transformer-autobot noises and strange imaginations of Cher's voice? The song was remixed over and over in every dance flavor possible and was wildly popular. Because Cher has actual talent. And the music industry engineered the sound for a young audience.

All my life I have been into Country Music. But I do recognize and remember several from the second list. Absolutely none form the first.

Sonny James, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsey Cline, Hank Snow, Marty Robbins, Dottie West, Loretta Lynn, Farron Young, Patti Page, Buck Owens, Roger Miller, The Browns (also Jim Ed Brown who went solo from The Browns), Conway Twitty, Floyd Cramer, Jim Reeves, Tammy Wynette, Lynn Anderson, Jerry Reed, Freddy Fender, Statler Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, Roy Rogers, Kenny Rogers, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Skeeter Davis, Jimmy Dean, Reba McIntire, Jeannie C Riley, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams (and the Junior), Hank Locklin.... and oh, the list goes on and on.

I suppose that's why I STILL listen to "Willies Road House" on my XM radio in the truck (Channel 59), because they play all the oldies there.

Don't get me started on Bluegrass!.....

There's a distinction between Country music and Cowboy music. Marty Robbins made Cowboy music. Still listen to him today.

I recognized 5 of the second 10, both song and artist, and none of the first 10. That's pretty good for me, since I rarely found anything pop to enjoy much past the mid-60s.

Don't get me started on Bluegrass!
I love a lot of bluegrass (not all), but I don't like a steady diet of it, mostly.

There's a distinction between Country music and Cowboy music. Marty Robbins made Cowboy music.
The genre used to be Country and Western, which included both (still does, a little), but Marty made both styles and rock and roll/pop as well (White Sport Coat, for example).

But Classical, folk, and a lot (not all) of several other types (blues; jazz; rock and roll, as distinct from rock; etc.) are on my listening list, in addition to traditional Country (not the disguised rock under the Country name) and most Western (including Ranger Doug's show of the early stuff on XM).

Well, I suppose that even the term "hip" is out of fashion, but obviously I am as well. Looking at this list of Billboard's top 10 songs, I only recognize three artists. All the others, songs & artists-- never heard of 'em. Am I just too "out of it" these days?? :unsure:

1. Anti-Hero - Taylor Swift
  2. Kill Bill - SZA
  3. Unholy - Sam Smith & Kim Petras
  4. I'm Good (Blue) - David Guetta & Bebe Rexha
  5. Creepin' - Metro Boomin, The Weeknd & 21 Savage
  6. Die For You - The Weeknd
  7. Rich Flex - Drake & 21 Savage
  8. As It Was - Harry Styles
  9. Bad Habit - Steve Lacy
  10. Something In The Orange - Zach Bryan
Ok, never mind. It looks like I answered my own question. Looking back at the top 10 in 1970-- I recognize all ten-- songs and artists. :rolleyes::(
  1. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
  2. (They Long to Be) Close to You - The Carpenters
  3. American Woman - The Guess Who
  4. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head - B.J. Thomas
  5. War - Edwin Starr
  6. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
  7. I'll Be There - The Jackson 5
  8. Get Ready - Rare Earth
  9. Let It Be - The Beatles
  10. Band of Gold - Freda Payne
Nope to the first ten and yes to all of the 2nd ten. But these days I don't listen to secular music much. Almost all contemporary Christian.

There's a distinction between Country music and Cowboy music. Marty Robbins made Cowboy music. Still listen to him today.
Marty Robbins began as a pop N rock singer in the early 1950's (he also made a few western movies), as did Garth Brooks in the late 1070's. They both made the transition quite well IMO.
Marty Robbing wrote and sang "A white sport coat". That caused me to wear one to my senior prom.
Today there is little distinction between country music and rock music.

Last edited:
I have the original Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs" and "More Gunfighter Ballads". Both on vinyl that my dad used to play on our RCA turntable (the kind that was set on springs to keep it from vibrating). Love those old cowboy songs.

I do agree there is very little or no difference between today's modern "country" music and "rock n roll" music. I absolutely do not like today's country. You just confirmed it for me. I've been telling my wife for the last few years now that I feel todays modern country music is more rock n roll than rock n roll was (back in the day).

Yes, I also agree there is difference between "Cowboy songs", and Country music. If you really want to fine tune it, I think there is also a distinction between "Cowboy songs" and songs from Texas too.

I find it interesting that "yesterdays" Rock n Roll is more soothing than todays modern Country music.

If nothing else, I think pretty much everyone on this thread are old timers, and we all enjoy the style of music we were introduced to in your younger years and most of us still listen to it over the new stuff today.

Today there is little distinction between country music and rock music.
With the "modern" country I'd agree with you, but there is still some "traditional" country music being released (a small percentage though) and there are a number of younger artists who mostly do traditional style.

I feel todays modern country music is more rock n roll than rock n roll was
If you'd left off the "and roll" I'd agree with you. But the "traditional" country music has, to quite an extent, merged with rock and roll (50's and early 60s, mostly) -- even Brenda Lee, Elvis and a number of other rock and roll singers are now considered country -- so it's a tad strange to one who grew up with rock and roll and doesn't care much for most rock (of umpteen varieties), but likes traditional country (mostly).

Hey..... does anyone remember ... "MY DING-A-LING!" by Chuck Berry!
Chuck Berry's only number one song on the Billboard Hot 100.

I find it interesting that the huge majority of people think that the very best music was created when they were 17 years old.

I have the Rick Burns documentary on Country music. It is excellent. But the thing I can't figure out is why some people are so polarized as to exactly what is and what isn't country music. There is no real definition since it keeps changing depending on what is hot at the moment. Personally I don't care for pigeon-holing music and giving it a genre. Good music is good music no matter what the genre. If you love rock and roll and great guitar playing check out Brad Paisley's 'Life Amplified' live DVD. He is a good a picker as most of the rock guitarists.

I felt pretty old the other day when talking with my niece. She said she went to a music venue, so uncle asked what the scene was like. "Riot grrl" she said. I said I felt old and out of touch...what's it like? She's 20, so there was still some eye-rolling. I told her she has to explain this stuff to me in a way I can learn, like I explain old-people concepts to her. We learn from each other.

All I needed was some context. Riot grrl is many things but her grandmother in the music world would be Joan Jett. Oh heck yeah! Modern music is still alright if there's influence from Joan Jett.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom