How long is too long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvtravelers

I know this question has probably been asked before but I?m trying to figure out how long of a trailer is safe to pull. I want to upgrade to a larger RV. I have a ram 1500 with the tow package that can to 10500 lbs. I have found several Rv in the 32 to 34 ft range that would be great. Just wondering if 34 ft is to long to tow safety.

I don't believe yo would see much difference towing a 34 ft over a 28 ft TT.  But  I have only towed 28 ft trailer.  Just as long as you stay within the truck's specifications for towing. A long trailer may feel more side wind effect from passing trucks.

Also watch your trailer loading.  A long trailer has more overhang behind the rear axle and thus more storage behind the rear axles.  You need to keep 10-15% of the total weight on the hitch for proper handling.

are you sure about the Dodge Ram towing capacity? I have 2017 Nissan Titan and it's towing capacity is quite a bit more than the ram 1500 and it can only tow 9650 lbs. the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 stock is only 7600 lbs. unless your 1500 is a Big Horn with 5.7 hemi? to answer your question, there is a little difference towing a longer camper mostly because if your running down the road, and it happens to be windy, you have more surface area on the side of the longer camper, thus more of a reaction to the environment and reaction time. but not enough to not get it. I would be more concerned with the towing capacity.

Your payload will probably limit you.  What is the carry capacity of your truck?  It's on the yellow sticker in the drivers door.

About length and safety with a 1/2 ton.  Personally, I wouldn't go much over 25'.  Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75Sm7XaIdY

I'd be leery of towing a longer trailer with an F150, say over 30 ft. These days a half-ton has a car-like suspension and many of them have very modest payloads, even though they can pull a lot (meaning a strong engine, tranny & driveline). Heck, many of them now come with P(Passenger) car tires instead of LT (Light Truck) tire.  Fine for town driving and the odd trip to a Home Depot, but not the most stable for towing a larger trailer.  A large travel trailer has a huge frontal area and long slab sides, making it hard to drag thru the air and very susceptible to side winds (including passing trucks).

I don't think you are going to find any 34 footers that are under your 10,500 limit anyway. Remember, you have to use the traler GVWR, not the dry weight. It's going to be loaded when you tow, right?  Even a 30 footer typically hits the 10,000 lb mark. Besides, a 10,000 lb trailer puts at least 1000 lbs on the hitch and many F150's have a max payload of around 1400 lbs, which has to handle passengers and gear as well as the trailer tongue weight and the WD hitch weight.
Realistically, you need to be looking at trailer with a GVWR of around 9000 lbs, which is probably going to be 28-30 ft. 

Check the weight and tire placards on your F150 door post for max cargo capacity. Be prepared for the possibility that you will want to change the tires to LT type for better towing manners.

What year is your ram? 6 or 8 speed transmission? Know what gearing in the rear end is? My 2014 I had maxed out at 7800 lbs. it had a 5.7 hemi, 8 speed transmission with 3.22 rear end. I know the 6 speed transmissions can pull more but don?t know exactly what it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom