How long is your electric cord?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do make a 50A male to 30A female but you will still be limited to 30A by your RVs circuit breaker.  There are very few campgrounds that have 50A only pedestals.

I have a 50A Marinco inlet on my trailer and carry two cords for it, one a 50a cord, the other a 30a cord.

50a cords are big, heavy, and expensive.  I do have a 50a extension cord (big one, 45' long) but don't carry it in my trailer routinely.  It's something I bring along if I'm staying in someone's driveway for a week or two and am planning to wire up a temporary outlet at their breaker panel or something.  So for 50a service I'm limited to the 25' or so of my standard cord.

The 30a cord I carry has the Marinco on one end and an ordinary 30a on the other end, and I use that at my storage location or anyplace that doesn't have 50a service.  It's 25' long.  I also carry a 25' extension for it.  I use the extension once in a while, usually when I want to park farther forward or back in a site (to get a better view or make room to park an extra vehicle) than I could otherwise reach.

I also have a heavy gauge (#6), 60' long, 30a cord that I use, rarely; right now it's more or less permanently installed at my storage location.  Again too heavy for me to keep routinely on the trailer.

In addition to all that I have a 30a to 20a adapter and 12 gauge, 25' and 100' extension cords with the regular household plugs and sockets on them.  Those are for fairgrounds type situations or camping in driveways or other unimproved locations, and don't allow me to run much but the converter and fridge.

Not strictly on topic but I have encountered one or two older power pedestals that have fuses instead of breakers and while the office usually has spares it's handy to have a couple of extras on hand along with the other adapters and cords.

remember if you use that 30 amp to 15amp adapter plug, it's gonna limit you down to 15amps coming in, so you'll need to watch your electrical usage. you'll be tripping breakers and overheating wires if you try to run too many things at once, and trying to run the A/C on 15 amps risks the compressor and/or the start capacitors...    :)

Another vote for "get a 30amp extension". No, they are not cheap but the first time you really need one and don't have it, you'll regret it.

And something that has not been said - maybe I'm the only one that does it - if we pull into a site that's muddy (or I think it will get muddy while we're there) I will sometimes use the extension so I don't have to pull out the TT's cord all the way. I'll pull out the TT's cord just enough to connect the extension to it. This way, when we break camp, the TT's cord goes away clean and I can toss the extension in the truck and clean it when we get home.

From what I have seen the newer RV's have a separate cord that just plugs into the RV. This prevents Fuzzy Critters from crawling up the cord and entering the RV. My Old (2003) truck camper had the cord that just stuffed into the compartment but the one I have now (2008) Plugs into the side. Much better deal for weather and Critter intrusion  :) 

BTW I just bought a new 25 Foot 30 amp Copper extension of off Ebay for about 34 Bucks including shipping. Thanks for reminding me...  :)

Those are called Marinco inlets.  Several manufacturers have been using them for some time but they are not universal.  Cost is the main reason they aren't used on all rigs as the inlet itself plus the cord connector retail at around $100 in 30a and $150 in 50a.  They have a number of advantages over having a cord permanently installed in a cord locker:

1) less stress on the cord since there isn't a fold point near the RV end of it.
2) you can carry two cords which offers various advantages.  I carry 50a and 30a, so I don't have to use the heavy and expensive 50a at all when I'm at a 30a site.  Doing that also gives me a spare so if a plug melts I can just switch to the other cord until I have the time, inclination, and parts to fix it.  Some people also carry a 20a cord so they don't need to use adapters.
3) when the cord itself finally fails it can be replaced in its entirety without the involvement of an electrician or RV tech
4) You can remove the cord and take it inside or wherever for cleaning or repairs.

The main disadvantage is cost although I suppose also anything removable can, in theory, be stolen.

Joezeppy said:
Another vote for "get a 30amp extension". No, they are not cheap but the first time you really need one and don't have it, you'll regret it.

And something that has not been said - maybe I'm the only one that does it - if we pull into a site that's muddy (or I think it will get muddy while we're there) I will sometimes use the extension so I don't have to pull out the TT's cord all the way. I'll pull out the TT's cord just enough to connect the extension to it. This way, when we break camp, the TT's cord goes away clean and I can toss the extension in the truck and clean it when we get home.

that's a good idea joe, esp if there's a chance of rain while breaking down camp. much quicker to just roll that one up and toss it in the TV instead of having to stand there in the rain with a shop towel and dry the cord as i feed it back in. nice tip, i'm having one of those homer simpson 'DOHHHH" moments after reading that, LOL and THANKS

Marinco is a brand name of plug. This type of plug has been in use in the marine industry for decades.

You should be aware that it MUST be plugged in fully and twisted tight to reduce the possibility of a poor connection which will eventually create heat which ruins the spring tension in the plug and can eventually lead to fire. Many boats have burned because of poor maintenance of the boat plug. If the plug feels loose replace at least the female plug end.

Ken

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom