how many inches should be between trailer bottom and truck bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barfife

The question is hard to fit in a small topic line.  I am new to rving.  I just purchased a 31' 5th wheel.  I am pulling it with a f-350 duelie.  Just purchased a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter.  When I got everything mounted and hooked up last evening, I only have 7' between the top of the bed sides and the bottom of the trailer.  How far above my truck bed sides should my 5th wheel set? Is 7" enough?  Should I have 12"?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks

Barney
Carrollton, GA

Should be plenty. My hitch manufacturer (RBW) says at least 5 1/2 inches in the hitch installation manual.

You're fine - if it's level.

Clench both fists.  Stack one one top of the other.  If they fit between trailer & rails you're ok.  That's the test they used when they adjusted mine.

Joel

I am new to fifth wheels as well and I have 6.5" of clearance. I am planning on driving in the western mountain dirt forest roads, dry camping. Do I need more clearance??? I am pulling a 30ft fifth wheel.

Sorry barfife, I didn't mean to steal your post, I just didn't want to post the exact same question.

We usually set them at 6". If it's more that's OK, too, as long as the rig is level. Sometimes the axle(s) have to  be flipped over to compensate. A lot depends upon the size of the truck.

thanks for all the replies.  I am now just about ready to hit the road for the first time.
Barney

I just picked up my new 5th a month ago and the dealer re-adjusted the height of my hitch after we hooked it up since it was a little to high, it has about 5 to 6 inches now and after I go back down a tire size on my truck to the factory size I should gain a smidge more as well as get the camper to level out a little more. Being new to 5th wheel towing it still seems a little close to the bed when going in or out of some gas station with more than average angles into the place from the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom