How many of you guys pull a TOAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

If we get a small Class C, it might be something like a Coachmen 21QB on the Chevy chasis, only problem the tow capacity is only 3,500Lbs.; and not sure if we really even want to tow anything. Neither of our vehicles are 4 down capable, and are too heavy anyway; so we would need to buy a TOAD.

So just wondering how many of you guys get by without a TOAD.

Thank you

We got by for a year without one.  This year we are planning to pull a 2005 Malibu that we purchased.  We would not have purchased a dedicated tow vehicle, because we only use our m/h about 40 nights per year, but the Malibu makes a good daily use vehicle, in addition to being towable 4-down.  Since we needed a car anyway, we looked for, and found, a malibu at a good price.

I have never pulled a toad. I live full time in my 27 foot Allegro and I take it anywhere I want to go. I don't ever hook up to power or water so using the motorhome is very easy. However, lately I have been rethinking my strategy. I am planning on upgrading to a 33 to 35 footer and possibly towing. But right now I don't give that more than a 25% chance of happening. I used to live in a 39 footer and still didn't tow so I got around it the 39 footer but there was problems, since there were places I could not go.

We just started towing a toad with our new to us motorhome. It is a 2004 Honda CRV. It weighs about 3400 lbs. So that would be really close to the limit for you motorhome, and that does not include the weight of the hitch and wiring and cables, and Brake Buddy.  I don't think I would chance it at that weight and your motorhome.
Bill

We also did it for a year.  I think it depends on where you are.  If you can entertain yourself in the campground by hiking, fishing, swimming or other activities and can carry enough food and supplies to last as long as you'll camp then sure.

We still don't have a toad but are looking at Escapes (about 3200lbs) and will probably get one in the next month or so.

Something along the lines of a used Ford festiva in a stick shift ( 4 or 5 speed) is only 1300 Lbs. and can be had cheaply, also about 45 MPG.>>>Dan

I will qualify my response by first stating we are not full timers, and we have a much larger MH.  That said, we do pull a TOAD - sometimes.  We do carry a Honda Ruckus - sometimes.  We are looking to buy a Cricket (small golf cart) to carry on a rack or within our TOAD - sometimes. 

The configuration depends on where we are going and what we will be doing when we get there.  As an example, one of our trips last year was from our S&B in VA to Fort Wilderness.  We did not pull a TOAD because we didn't need one for the two stops on the way, or for our stay there.  We did rent a golf cart from them ($$$$$$s) while we were there and were able to go everywhere we needed to.  On one of our trips (to Mt Rushmore) we just rented a car at the campgrounds when we got there.  On other trips where we are staying at multiple locations and want to explore the area we will pull the TOAD.

So, short answer - depends (not the diaper either)

Bob

My Toad is a 2009 Honda Fit.  It can be towed with all four on the road.  It is so light weight that the only way I know it is being towed is by checking my monitor.  I have an Even Brake system with a Protect a Tow.  The lights are connected into the wiring system of my MH. 

When I had my 20 footer I never towed anything. I did all of my sightseeing in the MH. I could always find a parking space. I always did all of my shopping prior to arriving at the CG. You just have to plan well.

For a 21' class C, you can easily get by w/out a toad IMO.  We did that for years, no real problem, in a larger C.  No problems getting into parking lots, etc.  You'll get real good at breaking camp to run around.  ;) 

Now that we're in a 35' A, we pull a Honda CRV. 

Gordon

We didn't tow for the first year and found our biggest obstacle to be having a dog and therefore now pull a toad the majority of the time. IMO, no pet, no prob, especially with that size unit ;D!

When we had our 21' Class C, a run to the grocery store was no big deal, but with our current 33' Class A, we love being able to jump in our RAV4 toad and go where ever we want to without having to break camp.

We are just weekenders and sometimes a few weeks here and there.  We didn't tow a vehicle with our old 34' Super C and usually that worked out fine.  We brought bikes and could ride around on them.  Most of the places we stayed had small stores and things to do.  We also went with friends who did tow a vehicle, so maybe that's why it didn't seem like we needed one.  With our new mh we are in the process of setting up our jeep wrangler to tow.  I really think it depends on the type of camping you're doing.  If you are going to places to just camp...fish, eat, drink, visit, then you really don't need a tow vehicle!  But, if you're wanting to get around too, then I think you need to tow something.  JMO

Certainly there are some places/conditions where a toad may be superfluous, or you can at least get by OK without one, but all too often we have wished for one.  So after almost a year of traveling with no toad, we're tired of having to walk, having to break camp, or having to depend on others for transportation beyond a block or two, so we just bought a Wrangler for future travels. We don't even have the tow bar, etc. yet, since we just picked it up a couple of days ago. After a lot of research, including opinions on this forum, it looks as if Blue Ox is the way to go.

4ducksrus said:
We are just weekenders and sometimes a few weeks here and there.

That's about how we are too, in a 35' Class A.  We have a tow dolly and tow occasionally, but the majority of our trips are without a toad.  Generally when we go to a CG, we are going there to stay... so not having a car is no big deal.  If we are going someplace with another destination in mind (the CG is just a place to sleep) then we'll bring a car along.  Although currently I don't own anything small enough to fit on the tow dolly.  Last year I traded cars with my folks for a week, gave them our Chrysler Pacifica and took their Pontiac Grand Prix camping.  ;)

As others have mentioned, you really shouldn't need a toad with a 21' rig or something similarly sized.

Well ~~ even with a 19.5' ClassC we USED the toad a lot while on a sight seeing road trip.  Parked the MH in CG then took daytrips in various directions in the TOAD without having to break camp every day.  Same thing now with a 27' ClassA ~ Just easier shopping/sight seeing in smaller vehicle.

HOWEVER ~~ When going to local (Yos/KingCyn/Seq) CG we do NOT pull a TOAD as know we are just going to enjoy the area on foot. 

Its not Mandatory to have a TOAD but is convient at times.  Your own personal call dependent on type of activities you & your family enjoy.  JM2? ~~ YMMV

Had no toad with smaller motorhomes, but eventually got tired of the hassles of always unhooking stuff when we wanted to go somewhere.  Our first toad was a Geo Tracker.  It was a great little car to pull behind a smaller Class C.  With standard transmission and manual hubs we not only pulled it four-down, but it performed quite well off-road.  We didn't really plan of four-wheeling, but with that car we got more and more adventuresome, especially after we started attending RV Forum rallies and had friends with whom to share our 4WD experiences..  Eventually we got a 34-foot Class A diesel pusher and traded the Tracker for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  We discovered having a toad can make things like grocery shopping easier, but there are inevitable emergencies and when you have one them a toad is worth every dollar you pay for it.  We got our Tracker between our first and second trips to Alaska and we saw much more on the second trip because we could go places we couldn't take even a small motorhome.  An example of the latter is a small residential street high above Homer AK where there is a fabulous view looking out over the sound and to the distant mountains.  Yes, we saw them from down in Homer but not like that!

I think you'll find having a toad makes RV life much easier and more fulfilling.

ArdraF

I didn't mention above, but a Tracker IS near the top of my list for a toad.  If/when I need another daily driver, I'll probably look for a good, used one to double as a toad.  The older models weigh in under 3000# which would work to be towed by almost any RV.  I'm not sure about the newer models, I know post-2000 the Tracker (and sister model Suzuki Sidekick and/or Grand Vitara) got a little more robust and are probably heavier.

We pulled a 2008 Jeep Liberty behind our B+. We had no problems and was up to 8400ft doing it. We kept the Liberty which we now tow behind the Class A. I would not be without a toad even though I see some who do not pull a toad, I personally do not want to have to break camp and re set up everyday to go sightseeing or running to the market. I believe it is a personal thing.

Back
Top Bottom