How many use deisel additives and how frequently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good question. I bought a large bottle after reading several comments on various forums, but have not used it. The reason being, that since I have read numerous comments against it.

I use a diesel biocide when parking the coach for the winter at our Florida home. I worry about algae in the fuel when it sits for extended period in a humid climate. I also fill the tank to reduce condensation.

Other than that, I never use any kind of fuel additives. I don't see them as harmful, but neither do I see any benefit from them and all the engine manufacturers say they are unnecessary.

I haven't used any additives since we left Vermont in late 1997. In Vermont I used an anti-gelling additive in the fall so I could start the diesel in February for our winter vacation to Florida.

ken

I use it every fill-up.  I buy the big jug of Diesel Kleen (80 ozs) at Wal-Mart, pour it into 10 oz bottles, and use one bottle per fill-up.  It's a little more than the recommended for my size tank, but it's what I was used to.  Whether it helps or not, who knows for sure.  But it doesn't hurt.

We use no additives, even when parking for several months.  We do make sure to have a full tank of fuel before extended stays to minimize condensation.

I use Amsoil Diesel Concentrate at every fill. I use it only for the added lubrication for the injectors and injector pump. I have a 2012 and I don't know if it is really needed but I have read that it is. I didn't want to wait until it was too late and then wish I would have listened.

I use a few ounces of Diesel Kleen at each fill. I asked many mechanics and get both answers, not needed and needed.  It seems to boost my mileage and power a bit and engine runs quieter. Mines an old truck with a mechanical injection pump so I figure a little lubrication wont hurt.

Not sure but.... When I first got my 2005 Ford diesel truck, I inquired Ford about a fuel additive and was told in no uncertain terms not only no, but hell no. Well, last two times I had the truck in for service, I was given gratis a bottle of Ford's diesel fuel additive. What caused Ford to change their mind? Could it be the crappy diesel fuel the govt is forcing us to buy?

Like Ned, we use no additives. We keep the tank full at all times. Even if sitting and using the Aqua Hot alot we always take the coach for a long exersize run each month and fill the fuel before returning.

Well, I was looking for a concensus.  But as with many other subjects the answer is.......maybe, sometimes. :eek:
I get the impression that if you are rather constantly on the move then maybe not needed.  More yes responses when stationary.  Well we volunteer workamp and will stay in a place maybe 3-6 months.  Coach may sit that entire time as we live in it.  On the longer gigs I try to get it out on the road once or twice. But often sits for a couple of months.  I do try to keep tank filled but I have not been using any additive.  SHOULD I BE? Its a Cat C7 300.

If you're going to be parked for that long, then the only additive I would recommend would be a anti-microbial.  And keep the tank full.

As usual lot's of ideas so I might as well suggest another one. Howes has not been mentioned yet but been on the market since 1920. Available in any truck shop. I have run it religiously  since putting 7 lift  pumps and 3 injection pumps in 100,000 miles on a 5.9lL Cummins. I now run Howes in my M11 Cummins, my 6.6L Duramax and my Kubota. I use it every fill in the trucks and treat the fuel can for the Kubota. Howes claim overtreatment will not harm anything. When I park the M11 for the winter I fill and treat both tanks. If you need additives to keep fuel from gelling in winter why wouldn't it be a plus combating the gel effects of the all dreaded Bio Diesel.
On an earlier thread a gentleman spent $9000.00 repairing his Cat which broke springs in the injection pump. Would it be reasonable to wonder if that pump might be still going had it seen additives. He did indicate a fuel problem as well. Could fuel additives  have avoided fuel problem. Somethings have no answer after the fact.
Unfortunately it is hard to feel his pain unless you've been there. I've been there and it's hard to swallow $9000.00  repair for a $20,000.00  engine. On the other hand what is the repair shop supposed to do as they  didn't contaminate the fuel.
I guess what I'm trying to say is fuel additives are peanuts compared to repairs. The other problem with motorholmes is manufactuers have the horsepower maxed for warranty purposes knowing they only run 8000 miles a year but that 8000. miles could be several times more stressful than in truck applications where the are looking for up to a million miles. So the the additive is probably more important to RVs.

The importance of a diesel fuel additive largely hinges upon when your engine was made and what type of fuel that it was designed to burn.

As of 2007 we've been mandated by our government to use only Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (15ppm sulphur) which replaced the venerable Low Sulphur Diesel (500ppm sulphur).  If you're using a pre-2008 engine then using a fuel additive in my opinion probably is in the best interest of your wallet.  Personally I'm running a 1998 Cat 3126 and wouldn't think of not using additive, Stanodyne when available and Power Service when it's not.

I would recommend though that if you do use an additive to NOT over treat. It's not that it will hurt anything but you're just wasting your money.  Buy a "Ratio Rite" and add just what the additive manufacturer recommends.  In the case of Stanodyne it's .26 ounce per gallon and with Power Service it's .33 ounce per gallon, if you're burning a lot of fuel that will save you some money in additive.  Don't expect additives to increase your fuel mileage noticeably.

I did a brief search on Cat reconditions on fuel additives these go back before 2008  and are from Cat seminars at RV ralleys.

CAT recommends using CAT Fuel Conditioner (part no. 256-4968) with every tank of fuel. This conditioner is said to eliminate microorganisms during storage, while providing extra lubricity for today's Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel.

343-6210 is Cat Diesel Fuel System Cleaner that was recently released. It is a very effective detergent additive that cleans fuel system deposits. In field testing of this product, Caterpillar did see restored fuel economy from the standpoint of removing injector deposits that were adversely affecting injector performance. In caterpillars view they have not seen a fuel additive that truly improves fuel economy, they at best can restore fuel economy to like-new, which is what we have seen in applications using the Cat Diesel Fuel System Cleaner. But this can be a very significant benefit to an end customer who has fuel system deposits affecting performance.
Bill

BruceinFL said:
Not sure but.... When I first got my 2005 Ford diesel truck, I inquired Ford about a fuel additive and was told in no uncertain terms not only no, but hell no. Well, last two times I had the truck in for service, I was given gratis a bottle of Ford's diesel fuel additive. What caused Ford to change their mind? Could it be the crappy diesel fuel the govt is forcing us to buy?

Due to the government mandated change to ULSD the injectors are not getting enough lubrication.  Many that I know that do not use additives are replacing injectors between 75-100K miles.  The cost is over $6000 for the repair on the small cummins you find in the dodge PU's.  So if you think you're going to trade it before 75K miles, it's probably not necessary.  In my use, I find that the increase in MPG, pays for the additive at $20 a gallon, if it costs you more than that, the added MPG doesn't equal the cost of the additive.  You only need the minimum amount recommended on the bottle, you can even round down, it doesn't take much.

Also, not all additives are fuel anti-gels.  So read the bottle, and get the one you need.  Howes Meaner Power Cleaner is great for fixing sticky injectors, but won't keep you from freezing up.  You don't need an anti-gel unless you believe you will be driving in weather colder than 20 degrees F.  And if you're in a MH in that kind of weather, you must have taken a wrong turn.  ;)

Late comment. Sulpher in the diesel fuel provided needed lubrication in the past. The sulpher has been removed. Additives restore lubrication, some better than others. What's so hard to understand about that?

raytronx said:
I use a few ounces of Diesel Kleen at each fill. I asked many mechanics and get both answers, not needed and needed.  It seems to boost my mileage and power a bit and engine runs quieter. Mines an old truck with a mechanical injection pump so I figure a little lubrication wont hurt.

I have the same truck and engine (1994 Ford IDI Turbo diesel) and I started adding 2 stroke engine oil as a fuel additive when the low sulfur fuel came out.  I noticed the same thing -the engine ran more quietly and performance returned to the old fuel levels.

I verified the oil was making the difference by skipping adding it for a tank. The performance dropped off and the engine noise went up.

There were reports of lots of injection pump failures in that engine when the fuel changed. Knock on wood mine's still OK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom