How much can you really secure your RV? What items should you invest in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV_Hokie

New to RVs and my new (used) travel trailer, but I know dead bolts are a must and a lock on the coupler should be a minimum (not sure what type is best, do you just need to lock the coupler with a pin-type lock or do you need something in the the ball socket as well?)

But my main question is how much more is useful for securing the RV and for personal security while inside?  I like the idea of a dog, which I happen to have, just to sense things that may be going on outside while I am inside, so I will have my best friend with me on most trips.

I have seen all of the following and wonder just how much we are fooling ourselves or are we just at least making some would-be criminals move on to an easier target, but not really securing anything, which is not a bad thing, just wondering what is worth investing in?

- Chocks that go between the wheels and expand for more stability with locks to prevent theft of chocks and movement of wheels to possibly tow (steal) the trailer
- Bar that runs through slots in wheels to the axles or backing plates (not exactly sure) with padlocks on the wheels to prevent moving the wheels
- Lug nut lock to prevent theft of wheels
- Lock on the spare tire, but what about the U-bolt mount on the bumper that just has regular nuts that hold the spare tire bracket to the rear bumper?
- lockable covers for potable water fill, electrical cord, city water connection
- locks for storage compartments
- locks for the covers for the refrig, or hot water heater
- intruder alarm for entry doors
- full-blown alarm system like a car or house might have

Also, how would you go about locking the external LP tanks, battery, and electrical connection box?  I have not seen items for these, but wondering about these as well.

So, what is worth the money and what is a waste? 

[edit]restored original text[/edit]

Haven't done any of that and don't intend to. Do have a dog however, which will lick any possible thieves to death. Been RVing for years and never had a problem. Maybe it's because of the This RV Protected by Smith &Wesson sign but not hardly. Most criminals probably can't read it. ;D ;D

Tony
Chill.  You have an 89.  Does it show evidence of being stolen?  Broken into?  Previous owners killed in their sleep?  Where you planning on camping?  Don't mean to minimize your concerns, safety and security is paramount, but you have to balance against threat.  Three is just not all that much threat to be too concerned about. 

If you will be storing off site, then you need to do certain things.  I use the ball lock for the hitch, the normal door locks.  Don't leave other stuff out.  I wouldn't worry about the tanks, but you could put a cable lock on it.  Elec cables leave insidie. 

While camping, I have never had an issue.  Been doing this off and on since 72.  I do know that there have been instances, here and there, but just be aware of your surroundings. 

Let common sense prevail.  If you pull into a campground and the other residents are sittin on picnic tables smoking crack, don't set up.  Leave.  I would consider that place less than safe. 

Tony

I don't know. Don't have a dog, don't have a weapon, usually my bay doors are unlocked, usually leave our chairs out on extended stays and happy hours, missing a couple of locks (replaced by pins) on our tow setup, life is good. We also seldom lock our door at nite but also seldom park overnite where we are not comfortable.

We don't do any of that stuff either. And if I thought I needed to, would probably not be RVing much, if at all.  It's one of the nice things about RV life.

I'll grant, however, that there are places where a few precautions might be desirable, especially around metro areas.  Mostly we avoid such places, but if we need to be there, then I lock the bay doors and do not leave stuff outside overnight. If I thought I needed to do more than that, I would move on.

We also have left our chairs, grill, satellite dish, carpets and such out and only once did we loose anything.  That happened in Traverse City state park.  I had moved the MH about 200-300 ft to the dump station to dump the tanks leaving the jack blocks and carpet and grill where they were.  While I was at the dump station a guy in a CC had stopped in front of our spot and disconnected his toad.  Didn't think much about it then but when I returned to the site the jack blocks and carpet were gone.  I had an opportunity to talk to the CC owner and during the conversation I did mention the items were missing and asked if he had saw anything  to which he said he didn't.  Shortly after the CC departed a guy across the street from us came over and told me the guy in the CC had lifted the missing items before reentering the coach after disconnecting the toad.  This could very well be the case since the only time I could not see our site was while he was parked in front of it.

For what its worth there are very few thefts and we feel quite secure where we park.  If we didn't feel secure we would simply move on.

Add us to the list....we don't do anything special. We might lock the door but the windows are usually wide open. We don't have a gun but we do have a large, loud dog. We've never had anything stolen. We stay in private campgrounds, state and federal parks, and we boondock a lot. Like others, if we felt uncomfortable somewhere, we'd move on. I can only think of a handful of times that happened. Frankly, I worry more about weather than about crime.

Wendy

Another listee here...

I don't worry much when I am in most campgrounds. It so happens I am such a nice guy that no one wants to hurt..  ;D ;D

My worst event happened in a condo parking area in Cabo San Lucas,(free stay-family owned) at night and again the next day during daylight hours.. go figure.  Broken windows, ransacked the inside of the RV, ripped out the built-in TV, found my favorite tool set, but left everything on the floor; must have been interrupted during the attempted robbery. Hotel security, Mex police... all were useless in getting any assistance. We left in a hurry and went to a regular RV park.

Seems like the safest place is in a good ole US campground.

carson FL

If I had to worry about that stuff I would not leave home base.  I lock my trailer ball receiver with a ball lock when I am going to be away for the day but that is it.  I took the locks off my bay doors because they were a bear to open and now just have twist closure knobs (no lock) on them.

I have never locked my doors on my trailer while camping. I do lock my tow vehicle and cover on my pickup bed as that is where anything of value is kept while I am sleeping.  I don't even lock the trailer when traveling.

Campgrounds and RV Parks and Resorts have always been a safe place for me.

I have a little dog and a gun but the dog is 5 lbs and the gun is in my safe.  Have never needed to have it at the ready.

I suspect that we are all a bit more comfortable with this life than RV Hokie is. He may gain some confidence from our words, but I suspect it will take some time spent RVing among friendly and trustworthy folks to build the confidence to be as free and easy as most of us are.

RV campgrounds and RVrs in general, are, in my limited experience,  safer and more trustworthy than most other aspects of life.  I, like most, leave 'stuff' outside, doors and windows unlocked (though not necessarily over-night) and have never had a problem.  Occasionally I may secure any bikes left outside, but that's about it.  I have come across one or two property thefts, but usually by 'outsiders' entering the park looking for stuff to filch.

Methinks RVHokie doth worry too much...With a few trips under your belt, you will soon relax and appreciate that fellow RVrs are like-minded friends.  OTH I would definitely take a more secure approach if I became concerned about my immediate surroundings...to the point of moving if possible.  Don't have a dog.  Do have a very light-sleeping other half.  Do have a handy S&W but never had the slightest need for it.

BT

Ron said:
As for the LP bay it is illegal to have a lock on it.

Didn't know that, Ron.  Had wondered why there was no lock as two gas cylinders are worth a few quid at a flea market - particularly when they're full of propane :p

Is it, then, illegal to cable-lock the cylinders to one another etc?

Keith

The reason there is no lock on the propane has to do with fire safety.. in the event of a fire the dept wishes to be able to access the shut off valve and/or remove the tanks to a place of safety.  Not that there is time to do that in an RV fire but if it's your next door neighbor's rig that's aflame.. Then perhaps.

I lock my doors if I'm not in the CG for a period (IE: when I go to church) otherwise I'm in and out too much

I do have an ultrasonic motion detector I'm considering putting in the rig at home... I mean all it does is make noise but some people don't like noise.  OF course the noise maker I'd like to design and put in would simply play a CD

About 30 seconds (For an RV) to a minute (for a house) of digital silence,, all zeros,,, followed by one sound effect.

The sound of a shotgun being pumped.

I am not sure but I suspect the reason they don't want the LP bay door to be locked is so the shut off valve is accessable at all times.  There is no way anybody could remove the propane tank from any motorhome we owned in an emergency.

To add to the consensus... we've camped for years and for many of those we were tent campers. 

Tents are really, really hard to secure!

We never tried.

We've never added any anything to any of our RVs, though our current one is probably more secure than anything we've ever had.  The key ring that came with it has FIVE keys -- and none of them are the universal industry standard that most RV storage compartments are locked with.

We've never lost anything.

The only time we ever lost any camping equipment was when we returned from a camping trip and hung our sleeping bags on the fence around our front yard to air out. They disappeared. Nice expensive sub-zero temperature bags, too. No one ever took them when we left them drapped over rocks or picnic tables in campgrounds.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom