How much does size matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierrasue123

Okey, I am now looking at some used RVS on Cruise America sales sight. I was wanting to stay at 20 to 22 foot for ease of parking, being able to get in small campgrounds, being able to drive around, etc.. I do not plan to have a toad. So, can some of you with 25 ft RV's tell me ?How easy is it to park this size around towns, in parking lots, etc. How about a little off road boon docking. I dont mean like 4 wheel drive type roads, but some easy to drive on dirt roads. Is 25 foot a good size for someone who wants to stay on the small size?

I lived alone in a 32 foot class A and that was too small for me. I recently upgraded to a 33 foot fifth wheel with three slides and it is about right. I never had a problem driving a 32 footer around town and parking it. Most every mall and Walmart have giant parking lots. You really don't want to drive an RV on dirt roads. They fall apart quickly enough driving them on paved roads.

I am an older lady who drives a 32' Class C, and have put 95,000 miles on it in five years of full-timing.  I have never towed anything, and have managed to get into almost everywhere.  Mostly, I shop at grocery chains that have large parking lots, and places like Lowes.  Larger shopping centers are also easy.  Generally, I park at the far ends of the parking lots where there aren't any cars.  Then I can take up two spots end to end.  Sometimes I park lengthwise and take up 5-6 spots, but only when there is lots of room. I try to find fast food places that are next to shopping centers, etc.

Almost all museums and attractions will have space for big rigs.  I always call ahead if I am concerned and take their advice on where to park.

And I have almost never found a campground too small for me to park in.  Almost all state and national parks can easily fit in a 35' vehicle.  Look around at campgrounds using Reserve America and Recreation.gov to see this.  You should have absolutely no problems with 25' unless you want to drive through downtown San Francisco, Boston, and similar. 

This came up recently and had several good answers. Here is the link:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,102874.0.html

When you first start out, a motorhome will seem HUGE, but after a few days on the road, you will get much more comfortable.  After all my travels, by the way, driving a car feels really weird.  Now, I will wait for Miss Mermaid to chime in, as she drives a 28' Class C without a toad, and has done so for longer than I have.  Both of us have electric bikes for tooling around campgrounds, however! 

My Class C is a 24' model. The motorcycle rack makes it about 26.5' without the toad. Until recently, the road in/out of the campground I store it at could have been classified as a 4x4 trail. The RV handled rather well on the rough road.

My RV will fit in two parking spaces that face each other. Or two spaces parallel parked on the side of the road. There are a few times I've had to walk a block or more to get to something in town. But I've never had a problem stopping at a grocery store or hardware store (for firewood) on my way to a campsite. There is usually a large enough parking lot somewhere in the part of town you want to visit.

For most trips, I have a Yamaha TW200. It's a highway legal dirt bike. Wonderful for site seeing and light shopping trips. It's like a large scooter with knobby tires. Also fun on dirt roads and trails.

I have a 28 ft Safari Trek class A (29.5 ft bumper to ladder), like the others have said most parking spaces mean taking up 2 spaces end to end.  However you really should count this as taking up 4-5 spaces, in a big box store lot one is hard pressed to keep a motorhome between the yellow lines with more than an inch or two to spare.  Which is fine until you want to leave, then you have to account for off tracking and tail swing which will intrude the neighboring spaces unless you can full forward out of your space.

However with a 178 inch wheel base if I can find a space at the edge of a lot with level green space around it, I can often back into the space and take up only a single space with the tail overhanging the grass.

I don't think anyone can answer that for you - I've seen people content living out of a tear drop. 

Mile High said:
I don't think anyone can answer that for you - I've seen people content living out of a tear drop.

Ditto on the above.  Everyone is different and their level of comfort is as well.  (I can parallel park a 44 passenger Blue Bird bus and drive a tractor trailer.  Not everyone can).

If you don't know how much space you need to live in, rent first.  It is much less expensive than buying the "wrong" one.

As to driving.  Go test drive a few of different sizes.  Wheel base will make more difference than LOA (Length over All) followed closely by "overhang" (how much vehicle overhangs the rear axle).

Our 25' Winnebago Reyo/Via is on a Mercedes Sprinter van chassis and has a great diesel. But the hood is a pain to open.

But we can get into any parking lot, frequently parallel park and get about 15 mpg over the first 40k miles. It has a huge king-plus bed, better storage than most bigger "Cs" and my wife loves to drive about 45% of the time. We just added a 3,000 lb 2016 Jeep Patriot (stick) toad, and hardly know it's there. Because the unit I short, storage is less expensive, and ferry boat charges on Alaska's Inside Passage are affordable.

We're mostly travelers, not parkers. But last spring and this spring we've spent two months in one place, which makes a 36' to 40' look quite appealing. This year we have an Arizona room, which is better than a 40-ft coach. But we want to get back on the road this summer. So we'll probably keep our unit the full 10 years we planned on when we bought the Reyo in '12. DW does NOT want a bigger unit. So I've stopped shopping for one.

6 months now on our Roadtrek 24 foot B, we enjoy it, and not too small for us. Sure, some things are not as convenient as our bigger rigs, but most is just as convenient, and driving is a pleasure rather than the chore it became as I got older. So nice with no toad, park about anywhere, we have gone from tents to pop ups to trailers to 3 class A's now to a B.

But everyone has their own feeling about what is big enough, you. Find your comfort level.

Well, I lived in a 20 foot Minnie Winnie a long time ago for 2 years. Traveling about quite a bit. It suited me just fine so am looking for similar size . Maybe go to 24 . Just was curious what others thought about length's .

It is highly unlikely that the extra 4 feet will keep you out of any campgrounds or parking lots.  If you want the extra space for living and storage, don't let campgrounds and parking lots worry you.  More important for you to be comfortable, and it sounds like you really want more living space than you had before.

I did not mind the 20 foot at all. But I will be looking up to about 24/25 I think. Not a lot of 20 to 22 foot RVS out there. And since you all seem to think 24/25 is just as easy to park, etc... then I will look up to that range. I just want something that drives and parks with ease. I plan to move around a bit and not just stay long periods in places. I dont realy plan to visit big cities much and if I do can do as someone suggests . Stay in RV park and bus into city. I hope to do a lot of boobdocking on BLM and such. And smaller campgrounds. I am not really into the RV parks (once in awhile is good, but not all the time ).

Back
Top Bottom