How Much Should I Ask For My '84 Lance 300?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimJam83814

Hey everybody,

Apologies if this isn't the most appropriate place to pose this question, but it seemed to be the most relevant. In any case, I have a 1984 Lance 300 camper that I'm thinking about selling - if I can. I was full-time RVing for the past year and a half and just moved into a more permanent location, so have no need for the tuck camper anymore.

The interior's in fairly decent condition, but practically nothing works except for the gas stove top. The oven is missing the component that the gas lines connect to (not sure what it's called), the (fairly new LED) overhead lights have some sort of electrical short, the fridge has a coolant leak (strong smell of ammonia when you turn it on), the top of the Shurflow diaphragm pump on the water line blew off so it spews water when the water's hooked up, the gray water tank has a small leak, the door doesn't always latch all the way (I have to ratchet strap it closed - especially when transporting it), the laminate around the overhang is sagging down (which I may fix if I determine that it's worth taking the camper off the truck bed), I took the mattress out, some of the handles to the storage compartments are broken off (you need to slip a screwdriver in there to disengage the latch), there's evidence of water damage, and there was a wood-burning stove where the bathroom facilities would otherwise be. It was meant as a boondocking rig, and I also used a 5M canvas belle tent for the majority of my living quarters that also housed my cassette toilet, camping shower, and camping fridge; so the absence of functional components wasn't that much of a hassle.
The jacks are in pretty good shape, with the two back ones being only a couple of years old, and I just purchased a brand new one that's still in the box and was going to install it since the passenger's side jack failed right before this new living opportunity came up.

The prior owner was a retired contractor and did a really professional job with the wood stove install. They installed a fire-resistant backing behind the tile work (that acts as a radiant heat source even after the fire is extinguished), installed a fire extinguisher mount next to the door, a vent directly above the stove, and an egress window above the sleeping quarters.

My question is: how much, if anything, do you think I could get for it? I can't really find any good comps for a camper in this condition. I would also like to keep the wood stove, but not if that would make a substantial impact on the price. Considering it's a $300+ Cylinder Stove, I can't imagine that any decrease in price would be commensurate with any additional money I could get with its inclusion.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

IMG20220821160832.jpgIMG20220821160841.jpgIMG20220821160927.jpgIMG20220821160927.jpgIMG20220821161013.jpgIMG20220821161220.jpgIMG20220821161257.jpgIMG20220821161353.jpg

IMO if anyone offers you $300 for it, take the money and wave bye as they haul it away.
Mentally adding up what I think repairs to what you told about would IMO add up to over $3,000 for a DIY person.
You didn't mention the huge gap in the aluminum above the truck cab, so I didn't include that in my rushed estimate, which could run as much as $3,000 depending on the amount of wood rot. So there's approx. $6,000 required to restore a 36 yr. old truck camper to livable condition.

With that gap in the overhang above the truck cab, you'll be lucky if you can give it away.

I might work OK for a while as a hunter's cabin tucked away on someone property, but it will never ride in anyone's truck bed again.

I'd advertise it as free and wouldn't look back. My Brother-in-Law had a similar situation. i gave him the same advice. At first he was offended but in the end he took my advice and moved on. He'd now tell you he's happy with his decision.

Last edited:
If it's usable it should be worth at least $500, but I would say that gaping panel in the cabover area and other shortcomings puts it in the junk category. Since you like the stove, I suggest you take it out for your own use and sell the jacks & whatever else you can as parts. Then give away whatever is left or scrap it.

I remember years ago I put something like this up for sale with a "make offer" on it with the WC Fields assumption that there's a sucker born every minute. Some guy from Argentina bought it from me for $300. Turns out he bought used campers and shipped them to Argentina.

There is someone out there who will buy it. I bought one in similar shape for $100. I ended up finding a ton of rot and turned it into a Sawzall pile.

The stove might be worth saving and maybe the sink...

1661278933760.png

No good deed goes unpunished. A while back I listed some "free" items on craigslist and it surprised me the number of people that asked if I delivered. The first guy that said he would be over with some friends and a trailer won the prize.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for all your feedback guys! Yes, I was leaning more towards a giveaway myself, but I do like the suggestion of initially trying the "make an offer" tactic. I am a little bummed about the new camper jack though since I would need to install it in order to get the camper off the truck bed. That thing's worth a couple hundred bucks in and of itself. Is there any way of I could get away with keeping that as well?

Thinking that I may have to offer it for free and deliver it, but ask for gas money / a delivery fee. Then I can drop it off and remove the new jack, or possibly all of the jacks. I can probably get at least $300 for the brand new jack and the two reasonably new jacks. Does that sound reasonable?

Probably more like $150 for the jacks. If I were the buyer there's no way I can be assured they work.

Also if you pull the jacks and the stove I don't think I would take the camper even for free. I mean if someone takes it they probably intend to try and use it and if they can't lift it onto their truck...

A truck camper doesn't come with jacks - it's an accessory. You can sell it with or without the jacks, or sell it for $0 w/o jacks and $xxx with them. Ditto for the wood stove. Price it any way you like, but remember the buyer is likely to counter-offer.

I'd remove the items and price the camper alone, even if it is $0. Then say (or advertise elsewhere) that you have some accessories available for sale as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom