how much snow is too much!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hi:
I don't have any covered area for our class C. We have been pounded with winter storm in western WA for the last week. Today I got a chance to go on the RV roof and plow the snow off of it. There was over 15-16" of snow on it. I am worried if too much weight has caused any issues. Should I be worried?

I wouldnt worry its been so cold the snow is light. We are just above in Calgary and its cold you need to worry more about the heavy march snow and even then you should be fine unless you get like 3 feet or more

Not likely. We've had well over three feet on the roof of motorhome with no issues.

I'll generally use a roof rake to keep it under a foot or so, since I'm out there clearing the roof on the back side of the house anyway. If you do clear snow off the roof, be very careful not to damage the antenna or vents that will be invisible under the snow.

My thoughts- How much do you weigh? And your standing on the roof. I seriously doubt 16" of snow equals your weight in the same sq. footage.  8)

I know I've had 3-4 inches up there and had the slides out.  Sorry - live in Albuquerque which has a weather bubble over it and we never get anything here :)

-Kyle

I have spent days making mathmatical calculations on this and i have come up with a formula that works for me.  When the little white flakes start to fall, that is too much snow.  lol  :p

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
djw2112 said:
I have spent days making mathmatical calculations on this and i have come up with a formula that works for me.  When the little white flakes start to fall, that is too much snow.  lol  :p

One inch of snow, on average, weighs one pound per square foot.
A 8' X 20' RV with only 1" of snow will weigh 240 pounds more.
However when the snow on a 8' x 30' RV roof reaches 30 inches deep the RV will weigh 7,200 pounds more.

mel s said:
One inch of snow, on average, weighs one pound per square foot.
A 8' X 20' RV with only 1" of snow will weigh 240 pounds more.
However when the snow on a 8' x 30' RV roof reaches 30 inches deep the RV will weigh 7,200 pounds more.

Based on that calculation if you wanted to move your RV with the snow still on the roof you would need a bigger truck.  8)

HRDWRK said:
Hi:
I don't have any covered area for our class C. We have been pounded with winter storm in western WA for the last week. Today I got a chance to go on the RV roof and plow the snow off of it. There was over 15-16" of snow on it. I am worried if too much weight has caused any issues. Should I be worried?

We might be in the same general area. Where are you? It?s been a heckuva winter for sure and they say we might get another little blast this weekend! We got a shelter put up (see another thread in the Newcomers section) just about ten days before that storm hit ? that was sure a relief. We still have a foot or more here in the Maple Valley area. I bet you?re fine though!

SeanAndKaty said:
We might be in the same general area. Where are you? It?s been a heckuva winter for sure and they say we might get another little blast this weekend! We got a shelter put up (see another thread in the Newcomers section) just about ten days before that storm hit ? that was sure a relief. We still have a foot or more here in the Maple Valley area. I bet you?re fine though!
I am in Snohomish. Just outside of the town.
Good to know snow doesn't cause much issue. My other concern was as snow covers all the vents, as it melts the moisture can leak in to the RV. I guess I am just too worry.

HRDWRK said:
I am in Snohomish. Just outside of the town.
Good to know snow doesn't cause much issue. My other concern was as snow covers all the vents, as it melts the moisture can leak in to the RV. I guess I am just too worry.

HRDWRK,  I know that it won?t help this winter, but as you live outside of town.....have you considered a pole barn, with roof designed for your area ?snow load?!  We don?t get nearly the snow that you do, but the pole barn saves your RV from all of the elements. Pole barns are relatively inexpensive....and if large enough can be used for a multitude of other things!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom