How much snow is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

We have a lot of snow up here in upstate NY, so when do I have to shovel it off the roof?  Today I pulled off 4 inches of snow under 1 inch of ice topped by 4 more inches of snow.  There has to be a roof load limit.

Attachments

• Snow_Camper 014.jpg
    Snow_Camper 014.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 99
Mike - I'm here in western NY and whatI go by is if the snow's going to be real wet (Early Late season) I try to keep it less then 4". Real dry snow I don't worry too much about till it gets packed down and over 6". I also put my corner jacks down to help with the snow load, and  I know some say don't and others say do it.  Most roofs are built for a person to walk on them and I don't figure snow load per Sq In. is more then when you walk on it,  only thing being snow load is there for a prolonged period of time.

I have over 10" of snow on my roof. It is a 34' 5 th wheel Keystone and I do not know what to do. Get a ladder and push it off? Put a ladder on snow and ice to clean my roof? More snow on the way! How much is too much? :'(

How much snow is too much?
.....one snowflake!.... 8)

No one has ever seen a picture of Adam and Eve shoveling snow.

There's only so much you can do.  It's not worth risking life and limb climbing up on a snow/ice covered roof to shovel it off.  I don't think any RV roofs are actually tested for overall weight-bearing capabilities, so there's probably no known answer to the "how much" question.

Just hook up and drive real fast... ;)

Most of the articles I have read conflict with one another.  Some say you risk too much damage to the roof, others imply it will certainly collapse if you do something...fast!  We've got 12" of snow on tap for this week (Central IL) so I'll be checking in on my rig.  Just not sure what I'm going to do when I get there :-\!

C'mon spring!!

It has me a little upset to see the snow and I do not want anything to happen but how do I put up a ladder on ice and snow when I am not good with height in the fires place? More ice and snow on the way! I hope my wife will be OK on the ladder. I will hold it steady for her.

Yes, the roof does have design for limited foot traffic. However add 4-6 inches of snow and you have a pretty significant sustained overall gross weight from the roof structure to the side frames...primary floor frame and suspension/tire system.

I suggest an attempt to minimize snow and ice accumulation on your parked RV roof.

a. Step one...remove-brush off..use roof rake..tow it for short trip..the accumulated snow & ice.

b. Step two. Go to Walmart and buy this stuff (3 dollars a gallon)..it's the best...better than Peak and Rain-X.

http://www.prestone.com/products/print/434?popup=1

c. Step 3. With a one gallon hand pump sprayer (garden variety), coat the full roof section before the next storm.

d. Step 4. Raise or angle your rig 2-3 inches minimum with front hitch lift crank. This should allow snow-ice accumulation to melt or slide off/pull off easy with a push broom or a roof rake.

I use this product on the glass plates of my roof mounted solar array (4.2 KW). It really works great. One gallon should meet your needs.

Charlie

This will make my problem go away. I will get the fluid and I will brush off the roof. I have the trailer level. I will raise the front end. Thank you for the guidance! This had me upset I had no idea what to do.

skirk55 said:
This will make my problem go away. I will get the fluid and I will brush off the roof. I have the trailer level. I will raise the front end. Thank you for the guidance! This had me upset I had no idea what to do.

Great. Don't fall for the cheaper Peak or Rain-X. Go Prestone!
http://www.prestone.com/products/print/434?popup=1

Charlie

Well the amount of snow on the roof wasn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling, so I got up there and shoveled it off.  I have a RV cover on the trailer, and used a plastic snow shovel to remove the snow.  We have more snow coming this week, so I thought it was time to do something.  I was concerned about the weight most of all, and also the the way ot layed on the roof.  I didn't try to clean the cover completely off, but I removed the majority of the snow.  I know that as it warms up the snow compacts into ice, and that is what I'm most worried about.Snow flexes, ice doesn't.  I didn't want puddles to form and freeze and create weak spots.While I like the idea of parking it at an angle, the weather is too cold for a while for it to melt.  I know my house roof is designed with a snow load in mind, but a flat camper roof can only bow if it gets too much.  I was hoping some one here had a number like 4" or more, shovel it off.

Attachments

• Snow_Camper 009.jpg
    Snow_Camper 009.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 43
You may want to call the manufacturer and see what they have to say about the amount of weight the roof is safely capable of holding. After all...they made it. I'd assume each manufacture builds their roof structures a bit differently...hence, different load capabilities. On the other hand...they may not have a clue! :)

I keep my trailer inside but if I had a snow problem I'd just turn the furnace on, set the thermostat to 90 degrees, and wait for a day.

When in Utah, I cleaned it off after every snowfall of when it accumulated to 4-6 inches after a few minor snowfalls. (Used a ladder from the side)  Every year I would break a vent. :mad:
My newer trailer here in AK, I did the same thing, except I walked on the roof, for 2 years and did not break anything. (including myself...lol)  I was gone one winter and payed for covered storage.  Covered, but not heated.  Now I am back but still pay for the covered storage.  I just feel the approximate $600 cost is well worth protecting my investment...I do question my decision every year though. :-\

Jammer said:
I keep my trailer inside but if I had a snow problem I'd just turn the furnace on, set the thermostat to 90 degrees, and wait for a day.

Hmm there's an idea, I wonder what the associated LP cost would be for a day of serious heating like that?  ;)

We are supposed to get anywhere from 12 to 20" Tuesday to Wednesday.  I'll be shoveling the roof clear this weekend.  I remember hearing that is you have so many inches of snow on the roof of a house, it is equivalent to the weight of a 747 jet.  So 12 inches of snow is equivalent to how many people on the roof.  Would you be comfortable with 10+ people on your roof?  I don't think my roof will collapse, but I don't want to open any seams/joints.  The biggest problem is my snowblower can't throw the snow high enough to clear the piles from the previous snow storms.  It is higher than my mail box.

Anyone had any luck blowing the roof off with a leaf blower? Most of the snow around here has had too much water content plus for a few reasons I haven't attempted it. 1 is getting on an icy ladder. I was amazed at how well my new blower did with piles of leaves in the fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom