How old are your tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blacknightrain

I have been reading about tires lately.  Guess they are supposed to be in replaced 5-7 years.  This discussion could generate alot of opinions and beliefs, but I am more curious how old are the tires that people are running on their motorhomes.  Maybe your like myself and thought that tires were good until they had sidewall cracking or the tread ran out.  I learned from this site about date codes and life span.  Not looking for a discussion on tires,  or any horror stories...just how long you have ran them before you changed, or how many years you have on your current tires.

Be honest!

I'll go first....  1995 Winnebago Adventurer 20,000 miles, (stored inside since 95') original tires. (replacing them next week)

What is your plate number so I know to stay clear? Our tires look to be in good shape but at 6 years old this will be the last season on them.

I just replaced mine after running them for 7 years.  :eek:  They cost me $ 200 more than my first NEW CAR!

I am glad that I am running new ones now and don't have to worry about them--- ;D Except of course to check them for correct pressure.  I am currently saving up for tire pressure monitors.

Any suggestions on the best ones??

Mike and Claudia said:
I just replaced mine after running them for 7 years.  :eek:  They cost me $ 200 more than my first NEW CAR!

When I replaced mine a couple of years ago, they cost me about $200 less than twice the cost of my first NEW CAR. :'(

My steer and tag axle tires are two years old and my drive axle was replaced spring 2010.  They were original on our coach with DOT dates of 20ish 02 on an 03 coach.  So my steer and tag were replaced at 7 years and my drive at 8 years of age.  They still looked good with no cracking but it was time.  Mike.

Mine are six months old. I replaced 6 year old tires that I thought were in very good shape until they were removed. Two of them had cracks down between the tread all the way round the tire. I am so happy that I did not take another trip on them, and so thankful that they made it through my last trip.

The front tires were good and I kept the younger one for a spare. The remaining tires went to a used tire store for farmers or local truck use.

Ours were 6 years old on the TT so we did what an good red blooded american would do to help stimulate the economy. We bought a new TT instead of new tires.  Also the new TT has a much better floor plan and more suited to our life style now.

Mike and Claudia said:

My '97 Bounder uses very small tires (16") and that is still almost a true statement.  Sad isn't it?

Mine are 2 months old 8) The ones I took off were 9 years old. Didn't know about age limit when we picked this one up drove 1200 miles thru TX,AR,TN,MO and half of IL to get it home.

DOT date of 0336, still looking great, going strong.  Good for another 2+ years, all things being considered (Michelins).

sheltie said:
DOT date of 0336, still looking great, going strong.  Good for another 2+ years, all things being considered (Michelins).

You may want to re-look at your number.  The number you listed represents the 3rd week of the year 2036.  I would think it is maybe 0306.  Mike.

My current tires are the ones that my rig was built with.  They have a date code of around 5001, the end of 2001.  My Chassis date is January of 2002 and my Fleetwood origin date is around Late February/Early March of 2002.  But it goes in this afternoon to have brand new one put on tomorrow morning.  :)  I have to spend my severance on something it might as well be my rig right!

Jeff Brown

We replaced ours about a year ago after having a major blow out on the drivers side front on 9 year old tires that looked brand new. That was before we new about tire codes and recommended time of service......We know now....! ::)

one year and 4 months old. old ones replaced at 6 plus years because i was worried not because they looked worn out.

zmotorsports said:
You may want to re-look at your number.  The number you listed represents the 3rd week of the year 2036.  I would think it is maybe 0306.  Mike.

Nope, it's 0336, the 36th week of 2003.

Nope, it's 0336, the 36th week of 2003.

Sorry, Sheltie, but the tire date code reads wwyy, two digit week followed by a two digit year.  0336 means those tires were made in week 03 of year 36, i.e. 2036.

See the RV Glossary under Tire Manufacturer Date Code or see http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Mine are 6 months on the date and new to me. I just bought this motorhome and the tires were 10 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sieldenchannel
Back
Top Bottom