How old are your tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will run my 22.5's app. 8 yrs and I inspect them pretty regular no matter how new they are. I would not run smaller (trailer tires for instance) the same distance. The larger truck tires with good casings can be recapped up to 10 yrs and most failures I have seen have not been the fault of the tire (road damage). Mine are 7 yrs now so will be replaced sometime next summer. It's whatever makes you sleep good at night but I have no problem going 8 yrs.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Sorry, Sheltie, but the tire date code reads wwyy, two digit week followed by a two digit year.  0336 means those tires were made in week 03 of year 36, i.e. 2036.

See the RV Glossary under Tire Manufacturer Date Code or see http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Gary and zmotorsports,

I feel like the guy in the TV ad for the phone that allows you to talk and search at the same time who gets things bassackwards.  I just was too lazy to go outside and remove the wheel covers befor I answered Z.  I just did and, of course, you both are correct.  However, the fact remains that the DOT date tells me that it is almost eight years old.  Still two more years to go if nothing goes wrong.

[quote author=sheltie ]
........... the DOT date tells me that it is almost eight years old.  Still two more years to go if nothing goes wrong.
[/quote]

What could possibly go wrong, ....go wrong, ....go wrong ??? ::) :-\

aka Porky said:
What could possibly go wrong, ....go wrong, ....go wrong ??? ::) :-\

The same that could happen to any tire.  I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

[quote author=sheltie]
The same that could happen to any tire.  I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.
[/quote]
Nor will I.....

?Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.?  Robert Heinlein.
Happy motoring....

When I had my first RV I didn't know anything about date codes and the place that sold it to me somehow forgot to mention it!  I learned about date codes when I was trying to sell the rig and a potential buyer checked them and pointed out that my 17 year old rig had 9 year old tires on it.  I had driven my family 4500 miles on those tires in the 12 months preceding this notification.  Upon further inspection I found out that the inside duals were ORIGINAL and 17 years old!  Nothing bad happened to my family in that rig but it was mostly just a miracle! 

Brand new tires are being installed on Big Chuck today and that takes a load of my mind for the time being!  When it comes to replacement I will probably follow a 7 year pattern which amortizes this purchase out to just under $18 per month.  A bit steep but it is just part of the cost of ownership. 

1 year old and having them replaced tomorrow!!!!!! The tires on our TT are dryrotted. Bought this TT new last summer. Tread looks great but can not figure out why the dry rot. The spare tire is fine but the other 4 are ggetting replaced tomorrow. When we took the TT out of winter storage we noticed the problem. Dont know the cause.

My rear dualie tires and spare are 2006's and my fronts are 2010's.  Had a highway blowout on a 2006 tire last year (luckily no major additional damage) and at that time also discovered my spare was original (1993 tire on 1994 MH)!  :eek:  Had it mounted on the roadside for lack of other choices and amazingly made it home.  I then bought 2 new and rotated an '06 into the spare slot.  Make sure you check at least retain the newest "old" tire you have for a spare, when replacing the others.

klm9707 said:
1 year old and having them replaced tomorrow!!!!!! The tires on our TT are dryrotted. Bought this TT new last summer. Tread looks great but can not figure out why the dry rot. The spare tire is fine but the other 4 are ggetting replaced tomorrow. When we took the TT out of winter storage we noticed the problem. Dont know the cause.

Have you checked into warranty replacement on those 1yo tires?  Sounds like a manufacturer defect.

Currently my wheels are round about 3 years old. But I will replace them next season.

I just bought a "new to me" RV and the tires were ten years old.  One blew out thru the sidewall in my driveway which led me to replace all six.  The spare is two years old.  I wish I had known more before I bought the RV.  Expensive lesson.

When we bought our used 2003 HR, the dealer was proud of showing off the nice tread on the tires, in December of 2009. We made him put new rubber on all 6 wheels or no deal, so he did. The date code is 3709. I figure we have about 4-1/2 years left. We've only put 9000 miles on the coach since we got it.

Stan

Alright, here is my update.  New Bridgestone 8r 19.5 tires put on today at Costco.  1450.00 out the door.

The guy took off the old tires from 1993 and said he was suprised how good they looked.  I guess that is the difference between a garaged Rv and non garaged (Wish I had a garage like my neighbor who I bought it from) 

Oh well, I have some peace of mind now new tires, now if gas prices come down I can take a trip!

I blew out a left rear dual (Inner of course) on my class C when the tires had their 7th birthday as I recall.

Noting the damage it caused, I will not run a tire more than 7 years old regardless of the appearance. It isn't worth it.

I would be interested to know what tire selections people are going with when they change from their current tires. An active running list of what tires are performing well might be a nice reference for those researching a new tire purchase.

Joe

Our original tires are still on our 07 rig and looking great.  I suspect I'll replace them in late 2013 and will probably stick with Michelins.

Rick

"3906" for a 2007 MH.  Michelin.  One question though, the front tires are mounted with the date code on the inside which means it is very awkward to read.  The outside rears tires are mounted with the date code on the outside, very easy to read.  Is this "normal" or have the tires been mounted incorrectly?  Does it matter if the date code is on the inner sidewall or the outer side wall?

I don't think the tire mounter pay any attention to the DOT code, but I have noticed that they usually put it on the inside.  Take that for what it's worth :)

I have one tire with the DOT code on the outside.  I did check all 6 tires before they were mounted to verify the date codes.

The place that installed my tires put the DOT code for each tire on my receipt.  (One of the codes was 1 week newer than the rest?) 

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom