How Others See Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
murphysranch said:
hahaha! DH turns 60 next month and I'm right behind him. I like Senior discounts at SaveMart every Tues at 5%. But I don't go there often, as it is very full of OLD people! And I don't think I'm old, except that I do have this disease - CRS. Its been very difficult to deal with lately. I simply Can't Remember Shxx. Sigh....

In case you don't remember, in which case this caution is too late, CRS is a progressive condition....

Where was I going with this, ahhh, doesn't really matter. Did I ever tell you about CRFT? It's a condition.....

Frizlefrak said:
I clicked over 50 trips around the sun last fall.  This year my doctor insisted on doing a particular exam....I'm sure you gents know which one....."because of my age". 
As Ed Stelmach, former Premier of Alberta said a few years back, "I'm looking for a doctor with small hands."

Now to really make you feel old, Fifty (50) years ago, in Flushing Meadows New York, Walt Disney gave us "It's a small world" via the 1964 Worlds Fair. The Pepsi Pavillion....

The 64 Worlds Fair was a testing ground for Disney World which opened in 1971.  GE, FORD, GM the list goes on.

Old is when that sweet thing who just wandered into your field of view smiles and holds the door for you. :-\

I went on the Small World ride at the Worlds Fair in 64, dang song is still stuck in my head.

Well, working in the park with many young people keeps us young, but right now we are in a 55+ RV resort and they had a dinner tonight, started at 4:30, we got there about 4:35 and the line was out the door!  Reminded us of the dinners in our FL park where we lived.  Back to the present.

Writing this I just realized, when we moved into the FL resort I was 55, just coming up on 56.  I am now just coming up on 65.  WOW, 9 years has flown by!

My neighbor is 67 and hates to go to Arizona and California to visit his daughter in the winter because the stores, highways and restaurants are filled with old people.

I'm 61 and in my fourth year of retirement.  Two exciting things happen this year.  I'm eligible for a lifetime park passport for $10 and I start collecting my SS.  Kind of ticks off the DW as she still has a few more years.  I told her I'd share my park pass and to cheer up remind her that she's so much younger than I am.  Doesn't seem to help.

The other day my wife of 56 years and I entered a Jeep dealership.  The sales manager referred to us as a "cute couple", probably because we were holding hands to support each other in our walking.  He was probably thinking affectionate (true, but not the primary reason)

It worked.  We now have a new automobile, and it has been "toad" some 800 miles over the past weekend.

Wendell

Folks, I've said it before.....

Every time I want to complain about getting older, I think of all those who never got the chance.  Growing old is a privilege.....treat it as such. 

Here's what I posted on my Facebook page the other day.....

"I've had a very good life. I've long surpassed every goal I ever set for myself. All that I want now is to grow old with the woman I love. Today, I woke up, and am one day closer to that..."

Attachments

• dear god.JPG
    dear god.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 26
I went on an aid call early one morning to a little old lady that had fallen and couldn't get up. Concerned for her I asked whether there was someone we could call to come be with her as there was no medical reason she couldn't stay at home. She said her grandson came by every morning and it was only a few hours until he would be there. We helped her back to bed and then confirmed again that her grandson would be by for sure, he wouldn't forget or get called to work early or have an early class or some other type of problem. "Oh no", she said "since he retired he comes by every day".

I only wish I could live to see a grandchild retire.

Ken

rebelsun said:
Lately I've realized I'm getting old, because I forget what I went into the next room for.
I laughed for a very long time when I read that. Very funny, but I hope it isn't true.
I'm only 48, but I feel it. I am afraid how I will feel in 15 years. :(

Good luck with that Jim. You just might make it. Many of us did retire in our 50's so if they've done everything right and have a little good luck it might happen for them too. Even though I was able to retire at 53, my Mom passed 5 months before, Dad missed by 3 years.

Ken

A new thing I've noticed that makes me feel old is doing taxes for retired persons younger than me.

One of the things that hinders a lot of folks from retiring in their 50's is that company sponsored pensions that guarantee an income for life are largely gone now.  They were replaced by 401K plans and the like.....many of which took a massive hit 6 years ago.  And a lot of people just didn't play their cards right.

When the wife and I started retirement accounts in our 20's, our friends and family laughed at us.  When we bought half the house we could afford, they asked us why.  Our co-workers giggled when they found out we had a 13 year old TV, and the wife drives a 18 year old truck as her daily driver.  We saw the crash of 2007/2008 coming, and converted everything to cash equivalents beforehand....we rode it out nicely.  We've enjoyed life along the way, taken trips, and lived well but lived relatively frugally while everyone else was going nuts and buying everything in sight.....

Nobody is laughing at us any more.

We will both retire comfortably at 55....me in 4.5 years, her in about 9.  I won't quit working altogether....but won't be showing up every day at the stress factory anymore either. 

How do others see us?  I have a 20 year old nephew that is VERY interested in how the wife and I did it....been trading and investing for a year now, and he seems to have a knack for it.  I couldn't be more proud.  :)

My folks were very impressed they lived long enough for Jolene and I to full time in our RV, plus have kids eligible for SS.  My Mom's Mom passed at the age of 56, so Mom was very happy to see 60, she will be 85 next month.  They still RV as well. 

When I retired last spring at 71 I made up my mind that I wouldn't become a couch potato. So I started going to the gym. That led to getting interested in the weights. Now i am into power lifting, and I think my first competition will be this fall. I don't know how others see me, but I now see myself as better than any time since I played football in college.

Last year at our RV park in AZ they had a band playing Moody Blues tunes .
They were so good I thought they actually were the Moody Blues
Looked around and there were all these old people dancing
Then I realized I was one of them 

boogie on  and on  and on  8)

A quote from George Carlon...."If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom