How to add additional solar panels to existing with OEM plug-and-play capabilities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pauline.may

We just took delivery of our 2024 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS a couple weeks ago. It has capability of adding two more 190w solar panels in addition to the one 190w existing on the roof. We’re not able to find where to connect the additional panels. If anyone has info on this, we’d appreciate it.
I’ve emailed Coachmen’s service department but no answer. I haven’t called yet, but am fixing’ to do that next.
Anyone have any advice? TIA
***EDIT: The trailer supposedly has been ‘prepped’ to add more panels. We just don’t know where and how to connect those additional panels. We’re hoping to add two more portable panels on the ground and not roof-mount. Hopefully that clarifies it.

Last edited:
There are connector called "Combiners" That can connect all three panels into one pair of cables.

You do need to make sure that your cable running from the panel to the charge controller and then to your batteries is large enough. Usually about 10 gauge for 400 watts and maybe 8 gauge for 600 watts.

This is called hooking up in parallel and the output is basically 12 volts or slightly higher.

The three sets of cables from the panels end up as one set of one red, (positive) and one black, (negative), cable. Basically what you have now, hopefully heavy enough wire.

There are connector called "Combiners" That can connect all three panels into one pair of cables.

You do need to make sure that your cable running from the panel to the charge controller and then to your batteries is large enough. Usually about 10 gauge for 400 watts and maybe 8 gauge for 600 watts.

This is called hooking up in parallel and the output is basically 12 volts or slightly higher.

The three sets of cables from the panels end up as one set of one red, (positive) and one black, (negative), cable. Basically what you have now, hopefully heavy enough wire.

Thank you so much for this information.

My Cougar has this option. My external connection for 1 more panel is located by my dump valves, which is inside my front storage area. Doesn’t your manual show where it is at? Did you ask the dealer where you purchased the RV? Maybe check there web site.

Panels wired in parallel can have different power ratings, but their voltages must be the same. If they are different voltages the lowest voltage panel will pull the other panels down to it's level. This isn't a big deal if there's only a small difference between the panels but, for example if you put an 18 volt panel in parallel with one or more 36 volt panels it will reduce the 36 volt panels to 18 volts, effectively cutting their outputs in half.

Back
Top Bottom