how to cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunrisor

Here in the northeast, the camping season (at least for us) will coming to a close.
We are RV newbies, this is our first season with our TT. We bought a cover for it over the summer, and I've got to thinking: How in heck to I get 50 lbs up a ladder and on to the roof? Without a trip to the ER...
I didn't see any threads that talked about this so I thought I would put it out there. Maybe someone has a trick for getting it up on the roof, that could be done at least, somewhat safely. Maybe, I could get lucky and someone will have a method of getting it unfurled without actually going up on the roof.
I don't mind climbing a ladder (no...not the one attached to our TT), I mind trying to lug 50 lbs, and me up a ladder.
Thank you in advance (or my wife thanks you in advance;))!!

Not sure what length your trailer is, my 21', the cover only weighs probably 25#. It certainly is an art doing it. I have all my sharp edges covered with swim noodles. The trick is to have it rolled up, so when you get it on top, it unrolls as desired. I have all 4 corners unzipped, unroll, position it, than zip them. I really don't even get on top anymore, it's all about having it pre-rolled as you need it. Do that in a large, dry lawn if you can.

Not sure what length your trailer is, my 21', the cover only weighs probably 25#. It certainly is an art doing it. I have all my sharp edges covered with swim noodles. The trick is to have it rolled up, so when you get it on top, it unrolls as desired. I have all 4 corners unzipped, unroll, position it, than zip them. I really don't even get on top anymore, it's all about having it pre-rolled as you need it. Do that in a large, dry lawn if you can.
Sorry, forgot that part, 34'. I was planning on using an 8' step ladder, thinking, once it was up there I could unroll it. I was hoping someone had a neat little rope-and-pulley trick or something, to hoist it up there.

Seems to me that covering it during winter will bring a set of problems with snow, rain and freezing on the roof.

The topic of effectively of cloth covers comes up from time to time, and it seems to come down to a local climate issue, in some climates they get shredded by wind almost instantly, in some they do more damage than good due to rubbing, holding in water, etc. In my opinion the only covers worth considering are made from steel.

Sorry, forgot that part, 34'. I was planning on using an 8' step ladder, thinking, once it was up there I could unroll it. I was hoping someone had a neat little rope-and-pulley trick or something, to hoist it up there.
Ya, I'd roll it up, start at the back, take a broom lift it to center, have helper wiggle sides up. I'm in central Indiana, snows, freezes, I'd never go a winter without one.

Years ago when we parked our 33' motorhome long enough to winterize it, I used to roll the cover out along one side, and then tie a length of light rope to the first grommet at the front and toss it up on the roof. Climbing up on the roof, I would pull the cover up a little at a time as I walked the length of the rig. Once the top and the opposite side were on the roof, starting from the front, I dropped the remaining side down and centered the top, working my way back to the ladder. It was a bit of fussing, but not all that strenuous. Back on the ground, all that remained was fastening the tie downs.

Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated.
I try to avoid youtube as much as I can, but I gave in and watched a few videos. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it will be.
If I'm not incapacitated, will update this thread and let you all know how it turned out.
Thank again!!

How we did it on our little 23 footer was mostly with hopes and prayers.

I don't think I'm covering my 27 footer this year. First year we are going to store it at the house and its going to be positioned so that the garage is going to be a wind/rain/snow block. The dream is a pole barn for the camper and the toys.

As a long time boater of a 31' X 10' boat here in Mass I've always shrink wrapped. As I have no indoor storage I'm consider just having the roof of my RV shrink wrapped, only going maybe 1' down the sides from the roof. I see no reason why this wouldn't provide the same effective results.

Obviously, on the boat a frame is built to shed the snow, my concern is a water proof barrier between sitting snow and my roof.

How we did it on our little 23 footer was mostly with hopes and prayers.

I don't think I'm covering my 27 footer this year. First year we are going to store it at the house and its going to be positioned so that the garage is going to be a wind/rain/snow block. The dream is a pole barn for the camper and the toys.
Ours is too big for our property, it's in a public storage. In 1 year, 4 months, 2 hours, 29 minutes: we hope to change that!!

As a long time boater of a 31' X 10' boat here in Mass I've always shrink wrapped. As I have no indoor storage I'm consider just having the roof of my RV shrink wrapped, only going maybe 1' down the sides from the roof. I see no reason why this wouldn't provide the same effective results.

Obviously, on the boat a frame is built to shed the snow, my concern is a water proof barrier between sitting snow and my roof.
Shrink wrapping the roof is a bad idea. Trapping moisture under the shrink wrap will allow mold to grow. Most covers are water resistant, not waterproof, and breath, but do keep most of the dirt from penetrating. Snow on the roof should not be a problem. On your boat you have an air space because of the framework.

Here in the northeast, the camping season (at least for us) will coming to a close.
We are RV newbies, this is our first season with our TT. We bought a cover for it over the summer, and I've got to thinking: How in heck to I get 50 lbs up a ladder and on to the roof? Without a trip to the ER...
I didn't see any threads that talked about this so I thought I would put it out there. Maybe someone has a trick for getting it up on the roof, that could be done at least, somewhat safely. Maybe, I could get lucky and someone will have a method of getting it unfurled without actually going up on the roof.
I don't mind climbing a ladder (no...not the one attached to our TT), I mind trying to lug 50 lbs, and me up a ladder.
Thank you in advance (or my wife thanks you in advance;))!!
I fold my cover in such a way that I can pull it up over the back of the trailer. Lay the cover on the ground so the underside is on the ground and fold the sides onto the top. Roll the cover from the back so the front portion being the first part up onto the trailer and pull the entire cover onto the roof from the rear then drop the sides down.

Shrink wrapping the roof is a bad idea. Trapping moisture under the shrink wrap will allow mold to grow. Most covers are water resistant, not waterproof, and breath, but do keep most of the dirt from penetrating. Snow on the roof should not be a problem. On your boat you have an air space because of the framework.
You make good points.

Do you have a relative that could help you get the cover up the ladder? Maybe you have a neighbor with a sweet tooth you can give some home made cookies to.

Do you have a relative that could help you get the cover up the ladder? Maybe you have a neighbor with a sweet tooth you can give some home made cookies to.
..hhmmm...cookies? May not be enough of a draw...adult beverages might work...afterwards of course!;)

Back
Top Bottom