how to cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update as promised. We just put the cover on. I'm not a fan of ScrewTube (topic for another forum), but I broke down and found a video of someone installing a cover without getting on the roof.
Well, some of the info was useful...however... the struggle was actually getting it ON the roof. The cover is heavy (approx. 50 lbs), I can lift it, but getting up a ladder with it, is another story. I ended up using a rope to hoist it up an extension ladder (with help from the wife). I can't imagine someone trying to cover a 45' fiver. WOW!
Once it was up there the rest went pretty smoothly. I used a rope that was wound inside the roll to unroll it across the roof from the ground, then used a step ladder and a hook to unfold it (and to get it over the front a/c unit). Once the sides started down, it kinda slid down...mostly.
If you ask me now, if I plan to cover it next winter...uhh...NO!! my answer might be different next winter. It would really be different if I didn't have crappy knees and the wife's bad back.
...fortunately, nobody was around to watch...woulda made a great AFV video:p

As a long time boater of a 31' X 10' boat here in Mass I've always shrink wrapped. As I have no indoor storage I'm consider just having the roof of my RV shrink wrapped, only going maybe 1' down the sides from the roof. I see no reason why this wouldn't provide the same effective results.

Obviously, on the boat a frame is built to shed the snow, my concern is a water proof barrier between sitting snow and my roof.

Do not use that on the roof. Unlike your boat, the plastic cover will trap moisture since there is no airflow under it. The roof will likely be covered with mold when you remove the cover. Trailer covers are water resistant, not waterproof so the can breath. Used to keep the roof clean.

I contend for the amount of time it's covered, when properly vented (just like on boats) and with everything protruding from the roof to allow air space, this can be done without fear of mold.

Having said that I have choose not to cover mine, this is my first winter with it. Also, I would only extend approx. 2' down the sides of the coach, just enough for purchase to secure, if I were to attempt this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveGraham
Back
Top Bottom