How to drain fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srolfe

I had the rotten egg smell coming from my hot water lines. Drained the hot water tank, added bleach to the water tank, flushed out the lines. Now I need to drain and refill the water tank. I looked around the perimeter of the motorhome and I do not see a drain plug or valve. Does anyone have an idea where it is? I believe I can see the grey colored tank in the center of the chassis, but without crawling totally underneath I do not see the plug.

There may not be a drain on the tank itself but there should be on the water lines coming from it.  Look for one between the tank and the pump.

tvman44 said:
Could use the low point drain for the hot water line.

Nope, that's on the output side of the water heater and won't drain the fresh water tank.  It has to be drained before the water pump.

My tank does not have a drain either.  I am going to add one, so I can easily drain the tank to save the travel weight. While I am at it, I am going to add an outside pressure faucet to hose the beach sand off my feet. I can't believe the manufacturer did not add a drain on some RV's.

My  1989 Itasca  has a drain.  It has a small metal ring I lift up on.  It was easy to find after
I found a drain hose.

Disconnecting the hose/pipe from the water pump will also drain the water tank.  Something I need to do when winterizing the coach.

Jim

There is always a drain.... Finding it can be a major job but there is always a drain... I had one trailer where I never found the drain till a mounting band broke and the tank shifted, I found it while I was putting the tank back in.

It has to be drained before the water pump.

Not so, but you have to use the pump to drain the tank if the low point drains are it. That's the only way to drain the fresh tank on our coach. Seems dumb, but a gravity feed drain for my fresh tank would be inaccessible anyway so a pumped outlet is the only reasonable way to do it.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Not so, but you have to use the pump to drain the tank if the low point drains are it. That's the only way to drain the fresh tank on our coach. Seems dumb, but a gravity feed drain for my fresh tank would be inaccessible anyway so a pumped outlet is the only reasonable way to do it.

When I hear about things like that, I think Holiday Rambler is the only manufacturer that used "intelligent design" for their coaches :)

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yeah, but they lost that advantage when they became part of Monaco.  ;D

No argument there.  Our Endeavor was one of the last ones built as a pure Holiday Rambler.  The model changed, not for the better, starting the next year.

Our Itasca Meridian has a drain valve right next to the water tank in the first cabinet behind wheel well on the passenger side.  Really easy to release and drain.  I just wish we had a hose connection so that we could use the water when we drain it into our trees or plants!

Emailed Thor, will see if they know where it is. They should include model specific details with their generic owners manuals. How much could it possibly cost.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yeah, but they lost that advantage when they became part of Monaco. <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

And then Monaco figured it out when they built our Beaver. In the water bay (duh) there is a switch that says...get this..."fresh water tank drain"....and further...."open & closed".

I guess a couple of those HR engineers went to work for Monaco.  ;D

On a 2008 Fleetwood Tioga, 31M,  you open a cargo compartment on the passenger side and you can see the water tank on the upper half of the compartment. Right next to it is a valve to drain the tank. If you can see the tank, the valve should be nearby.

On our R-Vision, there is a little, looks like a fuel door, inside the right rear dually, right above the tire.  Even has a lock on it like the fuel door.  Inside is a big valve to drain the tank,,, and it takes a while if it's full. Park by your flower beds to drain.

Received a response from Thor, the drain line is buried underneath the vehicle. I used the on-board pump and drained the tank into the grey water tank and then drained that. I am too fat to be crawling under the vehicle in 110 degree heat.

I had one coach like that once - the drain was a screw-on cap on a tube that extended an inch below the underside. Once I found it, I could reach it without crawling underneath.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom