How to find used 5th wheel's that can take cold weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Derby6,  with a 12,500 tow cap what would you suggest he use for a weight limit?  I agree that they can do more than rated, but you also have to consider thatliability may be be in case of accident.  HAte thinking about accidents, but consoder car pulls in front, he doesn't stop in time, he is over cap because 'we all know we can pull more than cap'.  What do you think the insurance is going to do, plus the guy he hits lawyers? 

As an RV salesman I know the myth out there is that we all tell folks 'sure, you can pull it', but not so.  At the dealership I work at (occasionally), we have a safety statement, and if there is not sufficient excess capacity, we won't let you drive it away, and only sell it if we deliver because it will stay, or you are replacing your truck.  Customer signs a statement allowing that we explained it was not safe.  In case of accident, we at least have this form to cover us.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain that he should not pull that trailer with that truck. 

I hear ALL the stories, oh, my buddy does it all the time, or the truck salesman told me I could haul a house,  (he meant dog house I am sure, he just 'forgot ' to say dog....

Another item to consider, just cuz you can pull it doesn't mean you can stop it safely, or that the cooling system, the transmission system, the tire ratings are all up to the task. 

All boils down to, careful what you tell someone thy can do with what they have. 

Funny PancakeBill, you and me are so much on the same sheet its not even funny.  I mean what you just posted, I say ALL THE TIME.  I guess I disagreed with your original post because, like you said he is rated at 12500lbs.  I just compared and his Maximum Trailer Weight is actually 600lbs heavier than a 2011 F350 Crew Cab diesel.  How can that possibly be? 

Another example is that was pointed out to me that my 97 Maximum Trailer Weight is actually only 7,101 lbs.  Fact is my Toy Hauler GVWR is 13500lbs.  No doubt a newer truck would be better, but I would still exceed the Maximum, what are you supposed to pull it with.... I mean there is F150's with lil 5.4 motors rated MUCH higher than my Diesel F350 ...Yea mine is 13 years old and they have some newer safety features, but it makes no sense, there vehicles pale in comparison in pretty much every aspect....Lets Face it the newer trucks aren't made with more steel and sheet metal, there is less....lol

I guess I just see 1/2 tons puling HUGE trailers and it drives me nuts and I feel a guy in a 3/4 ton would be fine...UNLESS it was one of those HUGE 5th wheels, but I don't really know the weight on them either.  Pulling experience is another factor.

I don't know, I have pulled all my life and know my limits and those of my vehicles, many don't and I 110% applaud you as a salesman for being honest with folks.  You probably have saved a few lives.

Sorry we kinda hijacked the thread.

I had a 95 F250 and a 2002 F350 diesel.  neither was rated to pull what I wanted, sold the 02 and got the motorhome, pull a 96 Honda Accord Wagon. 

Don't forget, a lot of systems go into calculating the rating, brakes, suspension etc.  Not just pulling power. 

Heartland tests there Bighorns at zero deg, check out the Heartland forum for more info.
http://www.heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15344-Big-Horn-3185-RL-Woodland-Interior-Is-Finished...?p=119200#post119200

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom