How to get more power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckWmson

I have a 1999 Safari Trek with a 6.5L Chevy diesel engine.  One thing that I have always felt, is that it is underpowered for the unit weight.  Since the time I have owned it, I have tried different things trying to get better performance.  I have added a Gear Vendor splitter with great improvement in drive ability.

For years I have heard about reprogramming the computer chip and would consider this if this group would support this thought.  If reprogramming is something to look at can someone suggest where I might get this done and what kind of expense would I be looking at.  I am in the Los Angeles area.

Chuck

SeilerBird said:
I think that if you do anything to increase power you are running the risk of failing smog inspection. Proceed carefully.

I don't know about other states, but North Carolina does not require diesel powered vehicles to have an
emisson inspection, safety only. 

I did have to have an inspection station check several years ago.  I believe it was just a safety thing.  No checks with connections to exhaust or anything else that I can remember.  Believe they did check the fuel cap to see is it was sealing properly.  Of course, California will be one of the first for smog tests, but I would be willing to chance it.

Chuck

California is already asking for smog checks on diesels. I would stick to air intake and exhaust for any mods, personally.  On my Ford 7.3L daily driver I changed out the exhaust and added a cold air intake..These passed my last smog check. I should mention that it is a 2001 and the original exhaust had no cats. As for "meatier" modifications I find that it is like peeling an onion...if you modify one thing something else gets compromised and needs attention, so on and so forth. My two cents...

There are many performance "Enhancement" systems and programs out there, Some of them actually work, or so I'm told, Banks Power Pack is marketed with Diesels in mind but they make 'em for Gas engines too,  They are expensive (For the full kit) But they are a proven performer and most vehicle manufactures accept the Banks mod without a lot of hassle should you need warranty work. (NOTE they will hassle, but Banks has good lawyers too).

Ultra Power,  Marketed more to gas owners but I'm not sure they have it for your engine, is another proven performer, far less expensive than banks.

On the other hand there are DOZENS of cut rate chips out there and some of them .. Well some of 'em might work,, Some of 'em might just cost you a brand new engine as they blow the pistons out of the one you have now.  I recommend against the cut-rate chips.

I do not recommend any modification, but I recommend AGAINST the cut rate, If you got to do it, go first class or prepare to pay much more than you counted on.

Oh, there are some lesser enhancements, Like better air and exhaust management systems (Headers, better exhaust) those are usualluy safe.

Before going with the Gear Vendor I checked with Banks in about 2000 and they don't support Chevy diesel before Duramax.  I have checked with them again and they still don't.

I checked with several performance shops and have been told they do not have exhaust or intake parts and said they probably would have to fabricated for this particular application.  So, maybe my best bet is to just try to be satisfied with what I have or upgrade.  Neither are satisfactory solutions, but unless something else comes forth, that is what I have.  Thanks for all the input so far.

The reprogramming of of chips can be a real problem if it takes the head off the block because of using less than knowledgeable programers.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom