How to hang things on walls??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandk

Hi folks.  We are getting ready to fulltime in a fifth wheel in about a year, and I am pondering all of the things I presently have hanging on my walls.  I know that I will have limited wall space in the fifth wheel, but do you all use something in particular to hang things on your walls?  Are Command hooks the only option, and if so, do they work well for rv purposes?  Thanks for your info! 

I bought a giant roll of velcro from Walmart and use it to hang all kinds of things from my walls. Many times it can be removed without any marks on the walls but sometimes it will leave marks.

Between Velcro (industrial strength) and the Command Hooks we've hung all the things we need to hang.

Velcro works best on the textured wall surfaces.. for pictures & things.. and can be removed with a little heat (hair dryer).

The Command hooks work Very well on smooth(er) surfaces, for things like Towels, Coats, Jackets and the like ? They seem to Work As Advertised as far as removal, so far.

(I made up a "Made to Fit" Cork Bulletin Board for Temporary things ?)

Jus' an .02 ?

What Stu sez too ?  ;)

The first thing to find is the required wall space. Take down all the mirrors that these manufacturers install to make the place look bigger.

Just two words: Command Strips.

And a few other words: Command Strips. Command Strips. Command Strips.

;D

I use them for everything. Have used just the replacement strips to attach non-Command things as well.
I can't imagine using Velcro and trying to remove the adhesive - IMO, Velcro should only be used for things you plan to frequently take off the wall to use and then put back, and just assume you will never be removing the part that stays on the wall.

I have never had an issue with getting Command strips to stick to my (slightly) textured wallpaper.

Just an FYI -- you likely will be putting/storing way more things on the wall and on the inside of cabinet doors (where I sometimes use screw eyes) than you would dream of doing in your home. Walls = free storage space.

BIG JOE said:
Between Velcro (industrial strength) and the Command Hooks we've hung all the things we need to hang.

Our walls are mostly fabric-covered; Velcro and Command strips are useless.  In some places I've run wires to hold pictures up and in a very few I've (carefully) drilled into the walls to install anchors.

I use both - Command for things that need a hook to hang on (dog leashes, dish towels, etc.), but for pictures, mirrors and things that don't need to be removed, Industrial Strenght Velcro is the way to go.

SeilerBird said:
Yes, velcro is no good on fabric.

Have you tried using the hook part of the Velcro on your fabric wall covering. Essentially using the fabric as the loop part.

kdbgoat said:
Have you tried using the hook part of the Velcro on your fabric wall covering. Essentially using the fabric as the loop part.
No, I don't have any fabric on my walls. Just wallpaper, and it peels right off of if just like it does on wood. Where I do have a problem in with vinyl covered wood. But since this is a 23 year old RV I could care less.

I've screwed self-tapping screws into aluminum studs on our Keystone Outback trailer.  You have to be careful and start with a small drill bit.  Once you've found the stud and have drilled through, make the hole larger but a bit smaller than the screw you intend to use.  Then just screw it in.  Be careful though.  Aluminum is pretty soft so you want to do it right the first time.  Removing and reinserting the screw can stretch the hole and make it unusable. 

garyb1st said:
Aluminum is pretty soft so you want to do it right the first time.  Removing and reinserting the screw can stretch the hole and make it unusable.
If you do stretch the hole just pull the screw out, insert a few toothpicks and put the screw back in.

kdbgoat said:

It's a tight weave fabric and the hook portion of the Velcro doesn't get anything to latch onto. 

Thumb tacks.

I have an entire gallery wall, including a clock, a pair of fake deer antlers from target, a little shelf for a candle/tiny plant, some pictures, and a cork board, and every single thing is on there with a thumb tack. May have to remove a few things for travel but other than that it leaves teeny tiny holes you can't even see.

I know people have said command strips, but 3M also makes a TON of other command products, including a picture ledge (!!) and very nice little containers for the bathroom that are metal and hard plastic and don't look cheap at all.

Wonderful thread! I am brand new at RVing and my fiance and I just bought a small TT. I cannot WAIT to start decking it out, so this thread was very helpful! I love the idea of using thumb tacks!

I use it all!

I have velcro, command strips, I have brass hooks, brass screws, mirror clips, magnets, suction cups and double stick outdoor tape.

My RV came with 14 big windows and precious little storage. I have added baskets to the walls held up by brass hooks. Matter of fact I bought the 100 pack of hooks they are so useful for so many things.

I added some big mirrors, a big oval one, a big round one and so on. These are held with mirror clips.

I've included my favorite wall, the kitchen with a before and after.

Attachments

• double galley_Picture.jpg
    double galley_Picture.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 71
DearMissMermaid said:
I use it all!

I have velcro, command strips, I have brass hooks, brass screws, mirror clips, magnets, suction cups and double stick outdoor tape.

My RV came with 14 big windows and precious little storage. I have added baskets to the walls held up by brass hooks. Matter of fact I bought the 100 pack of hooks they are so useful for so many things.

I added some big mirrors, a big oval one, a big round one and so on. These are held with mirror clips.

I've included my favorite wall, the kitchen with a before and after.

Wow I love those hanging baskets! I'm looking for similar ones on amazon for my kitchen. I love the look but also I find them to be so functional.

Suction cups are a great one too! My wallpaper has a very slight texture though and so nothing sticks :( but works great on the inside of cabinet doors.

I use rivets. I hung two shelves and a utensil rack for my wife in the kitchen. They hold really well. Be careful when drilling the hole. I went all the way through to outside with one hole. Our little TT is narrow si I cut some shelving to fit (73") across that just lay on top of the window valances. We use one for kitchen stuff and one for clothes in the bedroom.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom