How to keep mice from chewing their way into toy hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polaatx

Hello, I have a Carson Toy Hauler and to my amazement I discovered the bottom is made of some soft material that mice  can chew through!  I am in the wilderness where there are all kinds of vermin. I've already glued sheet metal on several regions that were attacked.

But now the mice targeted an area that I can't get to with sheet metal. They've gone into a tiny space between the waste tank and the bottom and chewed their way into the space underneath the toilet. This space is totally inaccessible to me (unless I pull out the entire toilet). So no way to patch up their handy work with sheet metal.

For now, I've managed to kill all the mice with traps but I'm leaving the country for a year-long trip and don't have someone to keep setting traps.

Wondering if there are any suggestions.

I am wishing if there is some chemical of some sort I could spray into that space that would repel the vermin (without giving human occupants of the trailer cancer). Does such a thing exist?

Note: there is no electricity and running water.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
I use the electronic devices to keep them away. You can get them at Walmart or Lowe's...They work very well at keeping the mice away. I use a pack of four in my 38 foot. Might be over kill but at least it works...

Can you shove steel wool into the tight areas? They can't chew through that.

mnmnutswer said:
I use the electronic devices to keep them away. You can get them at Walmart or Lowe's...They work very well at keeping the mice away. I use a pack of four in my 38 foot. Might be over kill but at least it works...

Hello, do these electric devices run on batteries or solar? What are they called - so I can search for solar version. Thanks.

whatever you do, be sure to remove all traces of food from the trailer.

rlratto said:
Can you shove steel wool into the tight areas? They can't chew through that.

Hello, I think it would be difficult. The tank is huge and without being able to see into the space no way to do it right. Even if I shove a whole bunch of steel wool in there no way to check to see if it is done right.

skyking1 said:
whatever you do, be sure to remove all traces of food from the trailer.

Yes. I am careful about food. I think they are interested in nesting not food. Already found and vacummed out and then covered with sheet metal  several nests elsewhere.

mnmnutswer said:
Hello, can you please give me the name of the brand you are using?
Some of these devices have really poor reviews. Most people seem to be saying they don't work at all. Like here: http://www.amazon.com/Bell-50104-Activated-Ultrasonic-Rechargeable/product-reviews/B003USMX7M/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescendingThat's why I would like to know which brand is working for you. Thank you.

I think the ones he is talking about have to be plugged into electricity and you said you don't have electricity...right?  I just recently read where bounce fabric sheets help to keep away ants and mice.  Might try putting a bunch of those on the bathroom floor!  ;D
I've been using them and they've seemed to stop my ant problem!!

Good Luck,
Mikie

We use "essence of peppermint oil" which can be diluted and sprayed with a garden sprayer. The peppermint deters the mice as it burns their lungs when they breathe it. They apparently steer clear once they catch a smell of it. We spray the bottom of the MH in the fall, and so far so good. You can buy peppermint oil on ebay. Not exactly cheap, but we find its effective.

jc55 said:
We use "essence of peppermint oil" which can be diluted and sprayed with a garden sprayer. The peppermint deters the mice as it burns their lungs when they breathe it. They apparently steer clear once they catch a smell of it. We spray the bottom of the MH in the fall, and so far so good. You can buy peppermint oil on ebay. Not exactly cheap, but we find its effective.

Just ordered some. Will report back. Cost doesnt matter compared to the havoc these creatures can unleash. Killed 6 and they're still coming . Could not find solar repellent with good reviews.

Don't think anything is 100% effective! The little boogers are just a pain.
Heard they don't like Irish Spring soap. Put some bars around in the MH. Found teeth marks where they were gnawing on the bars.
Tried the fabric softener sheets, they made nests out of them. Have cedar scented/mothballs, I can't stand the smell so they're out.
Plug the holes and no food. Still not bullet proof. I let the barn cat roam around the MH for awhile. Figure his scent might scare them off, who knows.
Tom B

Going on two months with the elect device in Motor Home as well as the garage and NO signs of LIFE....

I also use the electric devices and they do work. I think the first kind i bought were from lowes and the second ones that im using now came from walmart. I am sold on them. They put out a little vibration noise i guess that mice and other critters do not like.

Scjetb said:
I also use the electric devices and they do work. I think the first kind i bought were from lowes and the second ones that im using now came from walmart. I am sold on them. They put out a little vibration noise i guess that mice and other critters do not like.

I wish I could use the devices but don't have electricity and can't find a solar one with decent reviews. Most people on Amazon seem to be saying solar ones (which are pretty cheap too, under $20) don't work.

The August edition of FMCA's FamilyMotor Coaching (p.39) has an ad for Botanical Rodent Repellent which claims to be effective in keeping critters from invading a motor home. It is made by Earth-Kind Inc. See earth-kind for details.

I have no idea how well it works nor do I have any interest in Earth-Kind Inc.

Richard

mnmnutswer said:
Maybe a small solar panel can power them for you.

I do have a solar panel hooked in. However, if a device runs on 110v, the 12volt juice created by solar panel has to go through an inverter, which quickly sucks the batteries dry. So definitely not good idea to leave a 110v device running continuously.

I just got my shipment of peppermint oil and will report back.

The trouble is that I killed so many mice using traps (they adore peanut butter!) that they are not visiting anymore and can't reliably test any method. I am sure they will be back sooner or later but by I am leaving country Aug 18th.

RLSharp said:
The August edition of FMCA's FamilyMotor Coaching (p.39) has an ad for Botanical Rodent Repellent which claims to be effective in keeping critters from invading a motor home. It is made by Earth-Kind Inc. See earth-kind for details.

I have no idea how well it works nor do I have any interest in Earth-Kind Inc.

Richard

I have been using this product for 2 years now. It is not bullet proof, but has substantially cut down on mice activity in my coach. It is parked next to my driveway and is surrounded by wooded areas. I have tried everything that has already been mentioned, and this seems to work best for me anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom