How to Plan a Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevDen

We are fairly new to RVing with a 28' TT. I'm wanting to drive from Phoenix, AZ to the Columbia River National Park. However, as I've taken my map in hand, I realize how challenging it is to plan a route, select where to stay, and see along the way. Is there any pointers that you could give me? RevDen

I use Google Maps. It is free and easy to use. I start by making a custom map and put pins in every spot I would like to visit. Then I connect the dots in the most logical fashion. I like to keep my hops between 50 and 200 miles. It is senseless to drive long distances when there is so much to see in any area of this country. We do have a wealth of beautiful scenery. 63 National Parks and a lot of state and local parks. I spent 10 years full timing and I did visit all the National Parks in the lower 48 and I still feel I only saw about 1% of what I wanted to see.

i live very close to the columbia river but i never have heard of columbia river national park.
the columbia river is a very long river starting in canada please define where you wish to go or see

There is no such a place as Columbia River National Park. There is though a Columbia River National scenic area. The real wcenic part of the gorge is from just east of Troutdale to about 20 miles west of Hood River. It is basically I84. There is a portion of the old Columbia River highway from Troutdale to just east of Multnomah Falls. It is definitely NOT RV friendly, so you need to find a place to park, drive (1 day) see the numerous water falls.
From home get yourself to US395. Great drive, not a lot of traffic, plenty to see.

We are fairly new to RVing with a 28' TT. I'm wanting to drive from Phoenix, AZ to the Columbia River National Park. However, as I've taken my map in hand, I realize how challenging it is to plan a route, select where to stay, and see along the way. Is there any pointers that you could give me? RevDen
RVParky. Available in the app store.

Gas Buddy, these days, and Google Earth.

Hood River, OR, must see:

Happy Trails!

Personally, I think the scenic part begins where the Columbia River hooks up with the Snake River near Kennewick. One of my favorite campgrounds is LePage Park if I can get a spot directly on the river. Also, Cascade is a nice little town. And, I enjoyed stopping at Bonneville Dam. It has tours of the fish ladders and you can watch the fish swim upstream. There is also a very nice fishery there, where they keep several huge sturgeon to use for breeding purposes-- 8 - 9' long!!

And after visiting Portland, keep driving until you reach the mouth of the river at Fort Stevens State Park. Just east of there is Astoria, and the excellent Columbia River Maritime Museum. I have not tried it, but was told that directly across the highway from the museum is a fish and chips place where the fish is salmon. I would have stopped the last time I was there but the line was too long, so it must have been good!

Take the bridge across the river at Astoria and visit the Lewis and Clark museum and walk the beach at Cape Disappointment State Park.

I look at a road map first to identify my basic route. You can use old fashioned paper or electronic maps, your choice. Once I have the basic route identified, I look for scenic areas, historic sites, etc within 30-60 miles off the route. I come up with a list of places I want to visit and a rough idea of how much time I want to spend at each. Then I identify overnight spots to stay. I use AllStays Camp&RV to do that, looking up the reviews on CampgroundReviews to determine the specific place. Voila! A trip plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom