How to prevent chewed wiring in the engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taoshum link=topic=124171.msg1134350#msg1134350 date=1569462821 said:
I've heard that "dryer sheets" will annoy the wire chewing varmints... anyone tried this?

Oh, these are the scented, fabric softening sheets that are heat activated when placed in a clothes dryer with a load of clothes...

I tried the sheets one time because I had a bad mice problem the year before. I had them all over the trailer and several on the bed. They ended up using our bed as their bathroom. The ruined the bedspread but the RV did smell good in the spring. Then I started using a bucket trap.

Small bowl with  holes in lid.Moth balls inside sit under coach sure fired way to prevent Vermon of any kind. Experienced it Costly experience. Has never knock on wood happened again. It works.

TonyL said:
I have noticed trucks in RV parks with the hood slightly raised, when I asked the owners why, they explained that the critters don't like any openings above the best. Not sure if they were having me on or if it really works.,
I am now at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument in AZ. The day I got here, a few days ago, a park worker came by and told me that I should raise up my hood, just like the other vehicles in this park. It's also in writing on the info. boards here about the problem with pack rats eating up everything not made from metal in the engine compartments. So it must work, or else everybody here has been put on by the park employees!

-Don-  OPCNM, AZ

billwild said:
In Arizona they have pack rats that like to crawl up and chew on wiring in vehicles left in driveways and garages. To prevent that, they plug a trouble light in with a low voltage bulb underneath their vehicles. They say that works for them, the critters do not like the light. May work for you.

Bill

Apparently they, critters who like to nest and chew, only come out at night so makes a lot of sense. Another option is run a string of LED lights, like what some people do to decorate their RV, around the vehicle.

A guy could install a string of these in the engine bay (away from hot engine & exhaust) and use a timer to turn them on every night. Just run an extension cord from the closest 110 volt plug with the timer on it.  https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Kitchen-Christmas-Included-Daylight/dp/B00MHLIFO8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=10%2Bfoot%2Bled%2Blights%2B120%2Bvolt&qid=1577056352&sr=8-6&th=1

Hey, good idea.  LED lights, especially at Christmas -- or even all year 'round.  And a timer solves the problem too.

When I took in Winona (the motorhome) for some work a couple weeks ago, another Winnebago was in for the same problem of chewed wiring.  Their's looked much worse though.

4 or more outdoors only cats.  Feed them but only put out as much food as they will immediately consume.  This will keep them fed but not enough for them to get "fat and lazy." Some cats will hunt for the fun of it.  Most will hunt if they are a little hungry.

Since I started with this approach several years ago I haven't had one incident of rodent damage and I live in the country where the mice are looking for a new home every fall when the crops are harvested.  No squirrels around here either.

mark in MN

Just one outdoor cat works for us even when they aren't hungry. We have lived on different acreages in 2 states for 30 years. A cat will kill a dozen or more a day until the mice become extinct. I know some people hate cats but they are man's second best friend.

muskoka guy said:
I highly suggest anyone planning on setting conventional mouse traps drill a hole in one corner, and tie a string to it. This way you can anchor the string to something. My mother was having trouble with mice in her car. We set a few traps, and a few mice were caught. The next time, the trap was gone from inside the car. By a week later you couldn't stand the smell inside the car. We tore that car apart trying to find that mouse. We thought it was behind the dash, so we sent in to a garage so they could disassemble the dash. Turns out the mouse, with the trap still attached, made it two feet up the air duct under the passenger seat then got stuck. They found it with a camera scope inserted up the ductwork. It cost us $500 bucks to find that rodent, plus the effort trying to get the smell out of the car. I will no longer put traps anywhere without securing them down. Maybe a different style might be better, but someone needs to invent a better mouse trap.
Yup, we have mouse issues every winter in our house. I have seen some squeeze through 3/8 gaps under the cabinets while dragging the trap.

This past weekend, I was working on a project car. I drained the coolant into a pan a few months ago, but never dumped it since I occasionally get a splash from cavities in the engine. I am finally done with coolant, so I pulled the pan out from under the car and I noticed that there were a bunch of mice in it...like 8.

Apparently they love the sweet smell of antifreeze and a can of it works really well as a mouse trap. They fall in and can't swim out.

cerd said:
This past weekend, I was working on a project car. I drained the coolant into a pan a few months ago, but never dumped it since I occasionally get a splash from cavities in the engine. I am finally done with coolant, so I pulled the pan out from under the car and I noticed that there were a bunch of mice in it...like 8.

Apparently they love the sweet smell of antifreeze and a can of it works really well as a mouse trap. They fall in and can't swim out.

Bad to do if there are any friendly critters ( dogs , cats, etc. about)

winona said:
So my question is -- how do I keep the critters from gnawing away?  Mechanic says...

Any other tried and proven methods?

Should be a interesting thread to read, comment and keep alive. to hear what comes out of the Peanut Gallery.

I have no answer, but I can tell you I once lived in a HOA that had a 2 pet limit.  With the 2 dogs I had in my Pack I was in direct violation of the rules of the HOA.  That squirrel living in my Attic Cost me $400 to get rid of.  I plugged the gaps but I saw a rat once get thru the bars on a hamster cage when I was about 6 years old.  I know for a fact it would be hard to get that 100% fool proof, works all the time remedy. You will find some interesting options though here on the RV forum.  I love to bring good threads back from the dead, too.

glenn268 said:
Bad to do if there are any friendly critters ( dogs , cats, etc. about)
If you put a can in the engine bay, dogs won't be getting into it. You can keep cats out by only putting an inch gap on the top of a can and fastening it down.

Dragginourbedaround said:
Why not start a new post?

Gene, you just dragged my point out of these posts for me.  You got to dig into it to RV Forum to get to the juicy stuff.  Search and peck around, the answers are here.  Some spend alot of time Reinventing the perfectly good wheel.  Me I am only looking for bits and pieces so I can decide what path in life to follow.  I don't have time sit around twiddling my thumbs.  Life is too short for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom