How to proceed after running AVG AntiVirus program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I would pass on what happened today.

My old desktop running XP had a popup window appear today from Mcafee saying that it had detected 2 Possible problems and asked if I wanted to fix them. I looked around to see if I could find what problems with recent searches and found a listing. One was good housekeeping and I didn't recognize the other. Neither me or DH has ever tried to access that site.

Funny thing is that I don't have Mcafee on any computer. I decided to see what would happen if I clicked the fix button. I was immediately directed to a site offering to sell me Mcafee for $39 and then the problems would be fixed.

Have they stooped the that form of advertising. I about call that a virus in itself.

Likely it was a phishing site having nothing to do with McAfee. Had you gone further, it would no doubt have asked for credit card info to buy McAfee...yeh, right.

Tom is correct, that wasn't a McAfee site at all.

Ned said:
Firefox keeps several generations of backups of your bookmarks file.  My current profile has 15 previous versions.  You can import the most recent backup to Firefox and your bookmarks will be restored.  If you're interested in this, I can tell you how to find those backups easily.

Yes Ned, I'd definitely be interested.  If you feel I might be able to do it, and you don't mind taking the time for the instructions, I'd certainly appreciate it and give it a good try.

First, open the Bookmarks by pressing Ctrl+Shift+B.  Click on Import, then point to Restore and a list of the backup files will show.  Click on the most recent one with all the bookmarks (it shows how many bookmarks are in each backup file).

Thanks for that information Ned.  I'll give it a try as soon as I can figure out how to get rid of that nuisiance MyStartSearch, which I assume may get worse the longer I leave it on my computer.  Seems there are quite a few remedys floating around but so far I haven't had any luck with them.  Am going to keep trying.

This is a good place to start, right from the horses mouth, so to speak.  If that doesn't do it, the a search on mystartsearch chrome will show more options.

Ned said:
First, open the Bookmarks by pressing Ctrl+Shift+B.  Click on Import, then point to Restore and a list of the backup files will show.  Click on the most recent one with all the bookmarks (it shows how many bookmarks are in each backup file).

I tried this procedure Ned, and it worked great up to a point.  It only listed files back to 2/6/15 showing only 15 items.  I'm sure I had somewhere between 150-200, and it's probably been since last fall when i screwed up and lost them all.  Is there any way to get the list to go further back in time?

Only if you have system backups that far back.  Firefox only keeps relatively recent copies, 15 I believe.

Back
Top Bottom