How to RV with pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
denmarc said:
Exactly.  Our German Shepard knew her cage as "Your place."  Tell her to go there, and she would run into her cage and give us the "Did I do good?" look.  Immediately followed by the "Do I get a treat?" look.

Go figure.  ;)

Very Cool!  ;)

Currently traveling with 2 yellow labs. 

When i leave the RV without them on work or go to the store, i shut the windows and tun on the AC & set it at 75 or so depending on how hot it is out.  That way it wont be too hot for them, and if they do bark at a deer or a passer by - it wont echo threw the RV Park.  Never had any complaints.  While i have been to a couple of parks that do not want you to leave your pets in the RV - there are times when you need to, so i tend to ignore those "Rules".

I have seen where people will leave there dogs in the RV and leave with the Windows open - And then the Dog(S) proceed to bark at everything that moves and annoy the crap out of all in the area.

Close the windows, turn on the AC and all should be OK.  If your dog is destructive, use a kennel in addition.  I'm lucky - mine just sleep on the couches.

Some parks are more strict than others when it comes to Leashes - I have been to a few that once they meet my labs. they are OK with me playing fetch off leash in a out of the way area.  Both my labs are big butter balls, so i know they will now do any harm.  Other parks like State and National have no leniency and are happy to hand out tickets.  YMMV.

I'm with zzyzx;  our cats don't bark and we don't have to take them out in the pouring down rain to go potty.

Attachments

• Rusty 3.jpg
    Rusty 3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 7
Those who caution against AC failure or recommend crates for travel are spot-on.

I am a retired dog trainer and showed my own dogs in obedience and occasionally in conformation. Several years ago while at a show all but two or three of one handler's dogs died when the AC on the motorhome failed. He sent his assistant out several times to check but the assistant just listened for the generator and didn't go inside. Hearing the generator, he assumed the dogs were okay.

It was one of the saddest days of my life watching them bring all those lifeless bodies out of that motorhome. The ones that did survive were never the same because of brain damage.

About crates: If you have an accident and your pet is loose, chances are it will become a missile or be thrown from your vehicle. Crates are not only safer, there is a much higher survival rate. Another dog show friend had an accident while carrying seven dogs in crates in his van. All dogs survived; the one riding loose was never found.

That being said, we use a seatbelt adapter. You harness your dog (never attach to collar), thread a short leash (like a traffic leash) through the coupler and attach to harness. There are all types of safety harnesses out there if you don't want to use a crate.

Besides, you seatbelt yourself in for safety, why not your beloved pets, too?

Linda

I'm extremely allergic to cats, so they're not in our RVing future. Most of our cat-owning friends understand and either entertain us outside their home or RV, or move kitty elsewhere when we visit.

No offense to cats or their owners, and I respect everyone's choice of pet.

One exception to my allergy is a "bengal" owned by long-time friends and RVers. We first heard about this kitty when they visited our home while Tim and Marsha were here. We had been invited to their home the following evening, and I (mis)heard "we have this bengal that weighs 150 lbs". When we rang their doorbell the following evening, I was expecting a large animal to greet us  :eek: It turns out that the bengal is a small kitty, has colors like a bengal tiger, and has a significantly different coat from any cat I've come across.

AC failure would/should be a worry if you only have 1 unit.  I have 2 - i set the main living area at say 72 and the rear one to 75 or so.  That way if the main fails the rear will kick in barring a total power failure in the RV or the Park.

Having to deal with that after AC failure would be very sad to say the least.

Tom,

How do you do with Siamese as their coat is not like a cat fur but it is one that I am not allergic too.  There are a few others but they all seem be be Asian varieties Burmese, etc.

I have been thinking about all the concern for pets.  We do leave a vent open and the fan on with the thermostat set in the mid to high 80s.

That said, I propose a test for those that are concerned with the temperature inside you RV.  I have done it as I was concerned with cold temperatures but this summer I have had the thermometer in the water bay and another on in the kitchen counter.  These are cheap Radio Shack ones that record highest and lowest temperature seen since reset.  Typically my MH internal temperature on the kitchen counter lags the outside temperature by 6? to 10? F.  the other day and again today our outside temperature was in the mid to high 90s.  The MH only got to 83? before the outside temperature started down.  Right now the out side temp is 77? and the MH counter is at 79?.  The gap will widen as the outside temperature goes down till the difference is in that 6? to 10? range.

This is with the MH all closed up, no cushions in the vents, vents, closed, DayNight shades down and the front windshield covered by the internal drapes.  There is no shade in my Driveway, the awnings are stowed and there are no outside window coverings.

Once you know the way your RV heats and cools, you may rest a little easier when thinking about your pet in an RV.

One real hard rule, there must be adequate water for your pet.  In our case a pint is sufficient for the cat for a day, even on a hot one..  Our neighbor has a Great Pyrenees and I think that dog uses at least a gallon in 8 hours in this weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MN Steve
Back
Top Bottom