How to store an fifth wheel for the summer in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhoghvn

Hi,

I'm storing my fifth wheel for the summer in Florida for the first time and would like suggestions as what to do or not to do. I'm basically leaving it on my rv site with the power disconnected.

Thanks,

Fred

Disconnect the battery.
prop the fridge open.
make sure the garbage is out.
dump the tanks.
disconnect the water.
maybe put something like Amdro around the outside to keep ants out.
make sure windows are closed.
check the pantry for food that will be affected by heat.
pretty much any precaution you can think of if leaving your stick and brick for the summer in high heat and humidity.

I would put water in the waste tanks so that if there is any food products or crap in there, it will break down. Also the water will keep your valve seals moist. Put some water in your toilet and all your sink and shower traps. Then add two or three tablespoons af vegetable oil to the water. This will help to stop the water from evaporating.
You could put plastic over your exhaust vents for the furnace and water heater to stop small bugs from moving in and setting up a home.
No need to blow the water system down. When you come back, just sanitize it.
Do you pay for the electricity or is it part of the rent. It would be nice if you could run a dehumidifier.

Last edited:
Ventilation will be a concern, due to Florida's high temperature & humidity. A closed up vehicle or house can grow a fine crop of mold over the summer .

We've lived in Florida for 44 years and for the last 20+ we've we've closed up our house and left a vehicle stored while we travel for the summer. The best solution is to leave a/c running (ours is set to 89 F) and #2 is to install a dehumidifier. 3rd choice is some open ventilation, preferable with a fan to stir the air. Of course, the venting has to allow for Florida's frequent heavy rains, possibly wind driven.

A dehumidifiier chemical such as Damp Rid works too, but will need periodical replacement during the summer as it absorbs imposture from the air.

Keeping fridge, closets and cabinets open helps with air circulation and mold prevention. So does a through cleaning.

Ventilation will be a concern, due to Florida's high temperature & humidity. A closed up vehicle or house can grow a fine crop of mold over the summer .

We've lived in Florida for 44 years and for the last 20+ we've we've closed up our house and left a vehicle stored while we travel for the summer. The best solution is to leave a/c running (ours is set to 89 F) and #2 is to install a dehumidifier. 3rd choice is some open ventilation, preferable with a fan to stir the air. Of course, the venting has to allow for Florida's frequent heavy rains, possibly wind driven.

A dehumidifiier chemical such as Damp Rid works too, but will need periodical replacement during the summer as it absorbs imposture from the air.

Keeping fridge, closets and cabinets open helps with air circulation and mold prevention. So does a through cleaning.
I have to roof fans that I plan on leaving open. Each has a vent cover over them to prevent rain from entering. I'm still unsure about leaving the power on since we will not be here to monitor it if the 50 amp breaker trips for some reason.

Thanks,

Fred

Back
Top Bottom