How to tow a Kia Sportage on the acme tow dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyjohn

Some of these cars today the steering wheel will lock up if you turn too far either to the right or to the left. On the acme tow dolly the steering can not be in a lock position. I called acme and they told me that I needed to pick up one of those battery disconnects and mount it on the negative side of the battery and then put the ground wire back on the disconnect. Then go and put the key into the Acc. mode then go back out and turn the green knob (green on mine) till you hear the buzzer to off. Go back into the car and you should be able to turn the steering wheel both ways with out locking up. Now you are ready to go (after you do this with the car on the dolly). Leave the key in the Acc. position.
By the way. I found out the hard way that when you get out of some of the new cars and you turn the steering wheel too far to the right or left, the steering wheel will lock up. We were on a trip and did this and could not turn the key to start the car. I figured I pulled on the wheel as I was getting out and because the key was not in the ignition is why the wheel locked. Thought we were going to have to call someone to fix this. But I kept playing with it and finally got the key to turn so I could start the car. What you have to do is: try to turn the key like you are trying to start the car and as you are doing this, turn the steering wheel both to the right and to the left and the car will start. 

I believe you should leave the key in the run position with the battery disconnected to prevent steering lock. Leaving in acc position is for using accessories. If your steering lock gets bound up tight enough where you can't relieve the tension by turning the wheel just jack up a front wheel to relieve the tension. I know that may be difficult for some but it may be much faster than waiting for a tow truck to come to you. Then tell you it magically fixed itself or worse charge you for repairing something that wasn't broken.

Bill

When the steering locks, try turning the wheel one way and turn the key.  If still locked, turn the wheel the other way and try again.  This will work 99% of the time.

The steering column is only locked in the last, LOCK ignition position.  It is unlocked in all other positions, at least on all cars I have had.  If you have indeed disconnected the battery, then any position other than LOCK will work fine.

driftless shifter said:
I believe you should leave the key in the run position with the battery disconnected to prevent steering lock. Leaving in acc position is for using accessories.

Leaving in acc also works. Does leaving key in run make the steering turn more easy? I do not see what the advantage would be?

I don't know if it's true for a Kia but I have seen some makes where the steering will stay unlocked in acc position until the actual key switch springs out a fraction of an inch. With it in the on/run position this can't happen. A bad bridge expansion joint may be all it takes to make the switch do this. If the battery is disconnected though a switch, as mentioned by the original poster, there would be no problem leaving the key in the on position.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom