How to waterproof exterior storage compartments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

We have 2 exterior storage compartments that leak. Fortunately it was stuff that we can easily dry out. Hubby is looking at replacing the existing weather stripping with better/heavier or thicker weather stripping and wants to know if that is a solution or is there a better one?

We have 2 exterior storage compartments that leak. Fortunately it was stuff that we can easily dry out. Hubby is looking at replacing the existing weather stripping with better/heavier or thicker weather stripping and wants to know if that is a solution or is there a better one?
Are you referring to the ‘basements’?
Make sure the doors are closing properly, may be as simple as latch/ hinge adjustment.

Are you referring to the ‘basements’?
Make sure the doors are closing properly, may be as simple as latch/ hinge adjustment.
Thanks.
If basements are the storage compartments at the base of the camper all around the exterior, yes, we’re in a class c. We’ve done all of that, the one we adjusted the latches and now it seems to leak randomly, but it still leaks. The second one is new at leaking, we fooled with the latches but were just wondering if better weather stripping would solve the problem for good.

Since it is a 2023 model, isn't it still under warranty?
Kind of making me laugh…🤣🤣🤣 yes it’s under warranty, we didn’t take it to them when the blackwater tank fell off, we’re definitely not going now! Both Thor and the dealer let this heavily flawed vehicle out the door, we’re not going to trust either for anything. Stubborn country folk we are. Was hoping someone would say “do this and all your problems will be solved!”!😊

The door could be warped. One test is tape paper towels covering the inside of the door. Then spray around the door with a forceful stream from a garden hose. Open quickly and see if one area got wet. I hate to say this but your leak could be coming from a window and running into the compartment. If the paper towels are dry spray around the windows next.

I lined my big pass through compartment doors with this type of weatherstripping to seal a small leak. On the shelf at Walmart. It comes in two thicknesses. IMO there is no better weatherstripping. On the package It shows it is designed to separate in two U shaped air filled tubes. One tube fits the seal area perfectly on mine. Being extremely soft rubber it won't pull on the hinges or cause further warpage in tight areas. It never compresses like foam rubber does over time. Being self adhesive you have to completely remove the old weatherstripping and get the surface completely clean and dry. Make sure you start and end at the bottom in one continuous strip.
1707764723720.png

Stubborn country folk we are. Was hoping someone would say “do this and all your problems will be solved!
To give a simple answer as you want one needs to know for sure how the water is getting into the compartment. It quite possibly is a weather-stripping issue but to work the weather stripping needs to be the proper thickness and width. The way in which the door frame is constructed plays a part in which type of weather stripping will be best. If you use one that is too thick it could make the problem worse. If the problem is related to the hinges it could be that no change in weather stripping will help. Might the water be getting into the space via something other than the access doors?

The door could be warped. One test is tape paper towels covering the inside of the door. Then spray around the door with a forceful stream from a garden hose. Open quickly and see if one area got wet. I hate to say this but your leak could be coming from a window and running into the compartment. If the paper towels are dry spray around the windows next.

I lined my big pass through compartment doors with this type of weatherstripping to seal a small leak. On the shelf at Walmart. It comes in two thicknesses. IMO there is no better weatherstripping. On the package It shows it is designed to separate in two U shaped air filled tubes. One tube fits the seal area perfectly on mine. Being extremely soft rubber it won't pull on the hinges or cause further warpage in tight areas. It never compresses like foam rubber does over time. Being self adhesive you have to completely remove the old weatherstripping and get the surface completely clean and dry. Make sure you start and end at the bottom in one continuous strip.
View attachment 171163
Thanks so much! We’ll try the tests and hopefully the stripping you show is a solution.

To give a simple answer as you want one needs to know for sure how the water is getting into the compartment. It quite possibly is a weather-stripping issue but to work the weather stripping needs to be the proper thickness and width. The way in which the door frame is constructed plays a part in which type of weather stripping will be best. If you use one that is too thick it could make the problem worse. If the problem is related to the hinges it could be that no change in weather stripping will help. Might the water be getting into the space via something other than the access doors?
We’re going to try some things to discover where the water is entering. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom