Howard Power Center Steering System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Godward

I ran across an old brochure from Howard PC Steering and am willing to copy it for anyone wanting a copy.  It is not an installation document but is a sanitized English version of the technical paper Dee wrote and was published in the IEEE journal.  The one in the Journal has all the equations etc. but this one is fairly readable.

Let me know and I will send a copy in a few days.  I'll be available for email but will not have access to my copier till this weekend.

Hello Jim,

I would appreciate a copy and emailing it is fine to rbdtanasi at gmail.  I have the Howard System.  It is a shame it is no longer being produced.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat 40 PBD

Rex,

I have you address printed out and with the document.  I will be gone early and back late.  It will copy as a PDF and come as an attachment and will be in color as printed.

We sold our Beaver which had the Howard Power Center system on it. My big mistake was not removing it and installing it on the Monaco we have since purchased. The friend who purchased the Beaver won't even discuss parting with it.

If anyone ever hears of a Howard system that is available, I would sure like to purchase it. This system phenomenal.

Rex said:
I would appreciate a copy and emailing it is fine to rbdtanasi at gmail.  I have the Howard System.  It is a shame it is no longer being produced.

Rex,

I just noticed that the 2nd page is screwed up with a bad page and another good copy follows it.  You have all the pages and one extra that is bad.  I thought I had deleted it.

Jim,

Thanks very much.  That is an interesting document that I had not seen.  I have the manual for this system should you ever need a copy.  Love this system.

Rex

Rex said:
Thanks very much.  That is an interesting document that I had not seen.  I have the manual for this system should you ever need a copy.  Love this system.

It is a great system.  Dee was a good engineer and this was a sideline for him.  Most of his efforts were in control of airplanes and he did well there!

I doubt I will ever need the manual but if we do cross paths, I would like to look at it.

I wonder how the TRW system that is now in Newmar and other MHs works?

Jim Godward said:
I ran across an old brochure from Howard PC Steering and am willing to copy it for anyone wanting a copy.  It is not an installation document but is a sanitized English version of the technical paper Dee wrote and was published in the IEEE journal.  The one in the Journal has all the equations etc. but this one is fairly readable.

Let me know and I will send a copy in a few days.  I'll be available for email but will not have access to my copier till this weekend.

Jim, If you send me a copy, I appreciate it. I believe you should have my email address.

Thanks,

Jim:  I would like a copy if you don't mind.  I have the system on my 92 Wanderlodge.  Love it.

A neat story.  Dee did a steering modification for me to my old 83 Wanderlodge.  It had a very poor steering radius.  I had a pitman arm manufactured custom that was 1" longer than the original and he had his crew install it for me along with modifications to the link.  It had to be bent to prevent it from hitting the air brake cylinder when turning tight.  The 83 then had a turning radius as good as my 92.

Ron from Big D said:
Jim:  I would like a copy if you don't mind.  I have the system on my 92 Wanderlodge.  Love it.

Ron,

I don't have an email address for you, please send via private email.

Chet, Yours in on the way.

Jim, I just became a member and I saw your write up, is there a chance you still have a copy of the old brochure for the Howard PC Steering, I am new to this system and would like to know more about it. I have been having a bit of a problem keeping my RV straight, not sure if I have the Howard PC Steering adjusted right, I have new tires and am about to replace the shock to see if that will help. I have a 30ft 1998 Safari Sharia, I love it when I'm going 30mph, drives real straight. get it going up to 60mph and I drift all over the place.. if any one can suggest a good shock or anything else it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Danny B.

We had a Beaver Marquis that was equipped with the Howard Power Center steering system. When we sold the coach I made the mistake of not removing the HPC system. We now have a 45' Monaco coach and I wanted a HPC for it. Turns out that HPC are no longer in business. Carry Kaiser at Kaiser Alignment in Eugene, OR, who is quite familiar with the HPC systems recommend a Safe-T-Plus with the Henderson trim adjust option as the closest replacement for the HPC system.

I have now driven almost 7000 miles with the Safe-T-Plus system and Henderson Trim Adjust installed and can say that is is just as good as the HPC system was in controlling the handling of the coach, especially in cross winds and on roads that are crowned. It is possible to have a 90 degree cross wind that has flags standing stright out from their poles, set the trim, take your hands off the wheel and the coach will not drift out of the lane you are in. The same holds true for severely crowned roads. I just hope I never have a chance to test it's performance in a front tire blowout situation but I feel it's there if I need it.

Chet18013:

Might you still have the installation information for the Howard Precision Steering System?  I have an installed unit which appears to be stuck pulling slightly to the right.  Possibly the installation manual will give me some hints as to which parts might have failed.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Hi
I have a howard power center steering system that I would like to sell was taken off a 2006 Monaco dynasty needs seals in the cylinder

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom