Huge Breasts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

I was vuccu packing some meat I bought yesterday; a rib roast I cut into about 3lb slabs and several boneless, skinless chicken breast. I pulled the first chicken breast from the pack and thought this thing is huge. I weighed it and it was 1lb 10 oz. I would be very afraid of that chicken if I met her in a dark alley.

I see those regularly here when we buy the packages of frozen breasts. Some of them would cover most of a dinner plate. Some of the bags of thighs are the same way.

I pulled the first chicken breast from the pack and thought this thing is huge.
That is a result of genetic modification. And even more successful is the breast of a turkey. Back in the 50's as a boy my parents used to raise broiler chickens and also laying hens and the broilers could hardly fly while the egg layers could fly for a short distance. I also worked part-time for a neighbor who was raising turkeys for the meat market and they too could still fly a little and the breasts in both birds are much larger today than they were back then.

You can see some of that same thing in the production per acre of grain corps as that too is much increased. My dad was happy to have 20 or more bushels per acre and today the average is about 50 bushels per acer.

A result of added estrogen. Eat too much chicken and you may have the same problem :)

That is a result of genetic modification. And even more successful is the breast of a turkey. Back in the 50's as a boy my parents used to raise broiler chickens and also laying hens and the broilers could hardly fly while the egg layers could fly for a short distance. I also worked part-time for a neighbor who was raising turkeys for the meat market and they too could still fly a little and the breasts in both birds are much larger today than they were back then.

You can see some of that same thing in the production per acre of grain corps as that too is much increased. My dad was happy to have 20 or more bushels per acre and today the average is about 50 bushels per acer.
Genetic mod has continued. I raised broilers and layers in the 80s. For broilers, I raised Rock Cornish Cross chicks. They grow so fast that some actually outgrow their legs and become unable to walk. According to the supplier, 10 weeks was max age. I would dress them out at around 6 weeks and would have 6-7 lb whole chickens. I only fed them organic grains (no estrogen, no antibiotics), so the only thing impacting their growth and size was their genetics.
For layers, I bought Rhodes Island Reds. I tried having a rooster for a while, but he was bothering the girls to the point that he decreased egg production. (Yes, the old joke about the rooster doing all the laying was, to a point, true.)

Believe it or not.... Just about 2 months ago at Tractor Supply Company at St. Francisville, LA, they had live baby poultry for sale. And actually.... ABSOLUTELY true ... a bird that was a cross between a chicken and a turkey. It was a funny looking "thing" for sure. I only regret not taking photos of them. They were cute!

Boy I have really enjoyed these past few weeks here on the forum. I put several of the most obnoxious trolls on my ignore list. I do not come here to show off my knowledge, my finances or my hatred. And certainly not to argue. Arguing on the Internet is pointless.

That's what they used to do. When a laying hen got old and stopped laying, she became a stewing hen!!
I tried that once. Hen stopped laying, we dressed her out and made the absolutely worst chicken dish EVER. Guess it’s possible I didn’t do something right… but I tried a couple of different things. When pressure cooking resulted in tough, bland flavored chicken, I gave up and said never again to the idea of eating used up layers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom