Hunting down a leak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

castlewood57223

Good Day Everyone,
Hunting down a leak and thought I had it all, even after some torrential 4" downpours, but today I discovered that I have water once again, but this time it wasn't puddled up, it seemed to be more like it was a wind blown splatter. So that leads me to think that the edge of the storage area door isn't sealing right.

Has anyone run into an issue like this?    If so, what did you do to correct it?

We like our TT and need to get this cured before we have real issues and before fall hits and we start having low temp problems while fixing it!

Now you have my questions of the day, hope someone else has run into this and found a cure.
Chuck

Hi Chuck. It depends on how the storage compartment door is supposed to seal, but if it's got a rubber gasket that compresses against the door when it's closed, you may be able to reposition the gasket so it seals better, or remove and replace it with a better one. If you could post a picture of the area that's not sealing, it would help me - maybe others.

Kev

I have a double door on one of my side compartments. One door has 2 thumb locks and the other door, which closes last has 1 thumb lock and 1 key lock. I use to always just use the thumb locks but I was getting water in the compartment. I started also using the key lock and no more leaks. It as just enough to make the gasket seal.

I'll get pictures, and I don't recall any gasket seal on it, just metal against metal.
Now I'll have to check the others too, curious now.

Thanks All!

Can you get inside the compartment while someone outside closes it and goes around the door with a bright light?  This may help identify the part that is leaking.

grashley said:
Can you get inside the compartment while someone outside closes it and goes around the door with a bright light?  This may help identify the part that is leaking.

Or set a smartphone or GoPro inside facing the door if it's too small to crawl into.

I had my daughter sit in one of my compartments with a flashlight while I hosed it.
Found that the quarter turn thumb latches and key locks are not sealed.  It leaks through the mechanism, and not just through the gasket around the mounting hole.

I saw some listed for sale online once that were listed as weatherproof, but clearly the ones Thor uses are not.

just food for thought

Here's what it looks like.  Appears like a spray pattern from the corner.
had my brother outside with a LED flashlight run around the edges of the camper access door, didn't see any signs of light.  It was quite the gymnastics crawling under the bed to the storage door.  So it was pitch black while I was under there.  So... checking on some of the suggestions to get things sealed up.  I'll post more info as I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160912_183505301_75.jpg
    IMG_20160912_183505301_75.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 26
One Forum member said that he put one layer of duck tape on the door where it met the compartment to solve his leaking problem. He said the metal was not smooth but had a slight texture to it and he thought the texture was the cause of the leak.

Quillback 424 said:
One Forum member said that he put one layer of duck tape on the door where it met the compartment to solve his leaking problem. He said the metal was not smooth but had a slight texture to it and he thought the texture was the cause of the leak.

Ok, next step!  There is a dent on mine, and a small area that the metal has a tiny gap, less that 1/16 of an inch, but at this point I am not discounting either one!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom