HWH Jack - One LED doesn't come on, system won't auto-level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmhudg

Hello,

I've searched for a similar HWH Jack problem but didn't find anything similar so here goes.

I have HWH jacks on my Tioga Class C. The deploy sequence is one press to turn on, second press causes the jacks to swing down, third press extends the jacks and auto-levels. A few trips ago, I noticed that the RR LED indicator on the panel did not come on after the second press to swing the jacks down. When this happened, I checked the jack and it was down just like normal. If I press the third time, the panel lights just turn off and the system does nothing. Another press will turn things back on. At that point, I can manually manipulate the jacks and level the rig and that's what I've been doing for the last several trips.

I took some time today to see if I could see what is happening and didn't get anywhere. One thing that is odd is that when the jacks swing down, the RR jack is somewhat extended whereas the other three jacks are still fully up - in other words, all the jacks are swung down but three are not extended and the RR is extended a couple of inches (but not on the ground - see pictures below). When the jacks are stored, all the jacks - even the RR - all retract fully and swing up fully.

Any thoughts on any of this - why is the RR LED not lighting? why is the RR extended somewhat after the swing-down sequence but before the extend sequence? I suspect that it won't auto-level because of whatever is causing the RR LED to not light.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
That's not the typical HWH system found on Class A coaches, so I can't help with the diagnosis. I suspect you are right that the failure of the rear jack to signal status is stops the process, but why it extends is a mystery. It's a computer controlled, auto-level system, so it may be getting some incorrect feedback from the jack or maybe the controller circuit board is messed up, but I don't know how to isolate which it is. HWH Tech Support ought to be able to help. Hope they are still providing direct customer support - too many companies stopped doing that when revenues went down over the last few years.

Called HWH as suggested. Got a call back from a Tech a few days later who had me disconnect a two wire connector at the jack and jumper them together on the harness (not jack) side. When I did this, the corresponding LED on the panel lit. Based on this, he said I probably had a bad warning switch on the jack. I gave him my credit card number and he said one would go out the next day. Cost: $27.

Hopefully that's it. I'll follow-up after replacement (fingers crossed).

Tom

Just to follow up on this for the next guy.

I got the switch and installed it. Just had to unscrew the old one and screw in the new one and then connect the wires. When I turned on the system, I got all four LEDs lit. When I hit auto-level, it all worked as designed. Cool.

So, nothing but good things to say about HWH tech support.

I always like to hear about a problem getting fixed so easily and inexpensively. Thanks for the update. It's also nice to hear when a manufacturer supports its products so well.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom