Hydraulic hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrider

We are heading out tommorow for a huge family camping trip and my daughter fifth wheel hydraulic hose  for one of the slide has a small pin hole leak. Is there somthing quick we can do to patch it until we get back?

IMO..because of the extremely high hydraulic pressure there is no temporary line fix that ever works.

one of my leveler lines had a cut and leak in it,  so I cut the line in two and put a 1/4" brass barbed hose splice fitting in it with a total of 4 high pressure fuel injection hose clamps around it.   

It worked,  but I never could get it to quit leaking so eventually I bought a whole new 15' line.

Unfortunately Tony is spot on. Because of the pressures involved there is not much you can do to "patch" a hydraulic hose.
On a good note your local NAPA Auto parts store can probably make you replacement hose when the time comes.

Ok, This is not going to work well (I dont' think) but it may work.

Lowes and Home depot carry a clam. it is stainless steel with a rubber liner.  Comes in assorted sizes. It is designed for metal pipe but it ***MIGHT*** work well enough to get you by for the weekend, I stress MIGHT.

One style this one at Walmart

Another style this one at ACE haredwarew

Note, neither of these is the size you need, and as I said and can not stress enough the key word is MIGHT work, NO guaranteee other than it wont' hold for long... But it MIGHT get you through the weekend.

We will replace when we get back but we just need somthing that will allow us to open and close slides twice
Until were home and able to replace

I would try a piece of metal pipe with a radius close to the hose external size, split lengthwise and wrapped tight against the leaky part with radiator hose bandage or self-vulcanizing tape. If the hole is tiny, that should keep pressure for a bit. Shade tree engineering!

Have some hydraulic fluid handy too! Probably Dexron ATF.

I vote for Tony's repair. Used it many times on high pressure lines in emergency. You can even use plastic hose barb connectors in a pinch. Wrap with gorilla tape after clamping.

here is what I used....Like I said it worked but it used to sweat fluid because there is actually a hose within a hose on high pressure lines.  the inside hose is liquid tight and the outside hose is for strength, that hose was 15 years old and those sharp barbs would cut through the inner hose after being stretched over the barbs then clamped hard.

I also tried a splice tube made out of 1/4" brake line, I double flared both ends and put 6 hose clamps....it spit it right off.

But then this was a leveler hose so it had all that pressure to lift and hold the motorhome up,  and for a couple years I lived with a replaceable rag wrapped around it.  Yours is for a slide, so this may work fine.

BTW  >>ONLY use the best quality fuel injection hose clamps you can buy..I found out the hard way about cheap hose clamps.
good luck, Tony

Attachments

• barbed.jpeg
    barbed.jpeg
    2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you all for the info going to try the repair and hope it holds for two times in and out.my rv dont have slideouts so i have 0 experience with slides.  If the repair doesnt hold and the slides are out is there a way to manually put the slides in to tow to a repair shop?

quadrider said:
Thank you all for the info going to try the repair and hope it holds for two times in and out.my rv dont have slideouts so i have 0 experience with slides.  If the repair doesnt hold and the slides are out is there a way to manually put the slides in to tow to a repair shop?

Typically, there should be a way to hand crank the slides in and out if you should loose power or a hydraulic hose burst.

quadrider said:
on my HWH system,  there are manual flip levers on the tops of each of the switching valves.  You flip that lever up which opens that part of the system and then slowly push or pull the slide where you want it to be.

Thx for info the daughter decided to tent for this trip and the rv is going to be repaired by a mobil repair guy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom