Hydraulic jack leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had our RV power washed at a semi truck wash and noticed at our next campsite that our front jack baseplate had fluid in it, red fluid and are wondering could they have broken a seal when they washed, as was fine until then.
Also where should we take it to find out what is wrong. Neither My husband nor I are mechanical and cannot get under to see, and wouldn't recognize what we saw if anything anyhow. We have a 2006 Monaco Knight and do not know where we would add more fluid either.
On our build sheet it says Jacks pump: Power Gear. We are currently in a campgrounds near St. Cloud Minnesota.
Thank you

I would think that Minnesota [farm country] would have plenty of shops that work on hydraulic systems. You don't need an RV shop, and few of them have hydraulic repair techs anyway. They would probably just replace the entire jack.  Sometimes you have to have somebody remove the damaged hydraulic unit and take it into another shop that does the actual re-build of the component.

There will be a fluid reservoir somewhere, probably near the back on your diesel coach. Look in a rear bay or access panel.  The fluid level in the PG system is checked only with all jacks UP.

To give you an example,, my American coach has the reservoir located in the rear most curb side lower bay. That bay door exposes the curb side of the engine, the exhaust system, the air dryer, and the hydraulic reservoir (it has a dipstick for checking the level),  the hydraulic "pump" doubles as the power steering pump,,as Gary said be sure the system is in the "up" position when checking the fluid level..>>>Dan

papergirl16 and hubby said:
We had our RV power washed at a semi truck wash and noticed at our next campsite that our front jack baseplate had fluid in it, red fluid and are wondering could they have broken a seal when they washed, as was fine until then.
Also where should we take it to find out what is wrong. Neither My husband nor I are mechanical and cannot get under to see, and wouldn't recognize what we saw if anything anyhow. We have a 2006 Monaco Knight and do not know where we would add more fluid either.
On our build sheet it says Jacks pump: Power Gear. We are currently in a campgrounds near St. Cloud Minnesota.
Thank you
  Is it working? If so maybe some dirt/crud caused a little fluid loss? Top off the res. and monitor the fluid level and or leak? Owners manual should tell where things are?  ATF trans fluid?

You also should occasionally spray some silicone spray on the jack shafts to keep the seals clean and lubricated,,any thing to extend the life of parts will save you money.>>>Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom