I-40 at NC and Tenn border to open 4/27

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriadThinker

Ever since a rockslide in October, I-40 has been closed in both directions near the NC and TN border. It is supposed to reopen April 27. Enjoy the Smokies!!!!

thank goodness but a little late for us....we drove from florida to gatlinbur/cosby tennesse to the jellystone campground (which is totally awesome by the way) and they routed us through the mountain on 72? i think. good lord what a white knuckle ride in a 35 foot class a...wife and kids were terrified on the way up. they routed us around on 81 on the way home...everything in bloom was gorgeous but added 2 hours to the drive....i love that area and plan on buying a campground up there soon...

It could have been worse, ever drive on "The tail of the dragon"?  U.S. 129, on Tenn./ N.C. border,  318 curves in 11 miles.  Took it by accident with T.T. Was not fun at all, but was totally beautiful in November.  Dave

I hope they got it open.  They were routing traffic through Asheville which was taxing the area.  That entire area is rich with roads that nothing longer than a pick up truck should be on.  Problem is, much like the dragon, they're marked as state routes and by the time you see a sign, it's too late.  I've been on the motorcycle behind a 40' pusher on that road.  Probably the most harrowing experience of that poor guys life.  If you go to their website, there's a whole section dedicated to oversized vehicles trying to negotiate the road.  Ironically, there are landslides on that road too this summer so it's suffering the same fate as 40.  There's a video out there of a guy driving right into and onto the rockslide in a white car.  Good example of taking your attention from the road for a minute to look at the camera. 

I love that area.  The last time we were down there we got nearly 10 clean passes on the dragon on a Wednesday afternoon.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom