I-70 Questions between Grand Junction and Denver (Vail Pass)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arch Hoagland said:
raybbj...I assume you will give us a report of how things went in May after you go over I70?

Sorry - Full Disclosure, and look at my signature.
I'm still in the research phase of our adventure. It won't be this coming May.
I didn't mean to give the impression of anything else.

Having said that, I've definitely decided to travel via I70 rather than I80 or I40. Sure I'll be going slower with a gasser, but that's fine with me.
The trip from Vancouver to DFW will most likely be every year or every 2 years, so it's possible I will choose I40 or I80 on different trips just to change it up a bit. In fact, one year we plan on doing I5 from Vancouver to San Diego and then I10 all the way to Texas.

raybbj said:
Sorry - Full Disclosure, and look at my signature.
I'm still in the research phase of our adventure. It won't be this coming May.
I didn't mean to give the impression of anything else.

Having said that, I've definitely decided to travel via I70 rather than I80 or I40. Sure I'll be going slower with a gasser, but that's fine with me.
The trip from Vancouver to DFW will most likely be every year or every 2 years, so it's possible I will choose I40 or I80 on different trips just to change it up a bit. In fact, one year we plan on doing I5 from Vancouver to San Diego and then I10 all the way to Texas.

That's a good way to do it.
We make regular trips from Denver area to Coastal Maine, so we try to find a different way to go each trip.
I have a nice list of routes that are less than optimal, now, and a couple of very nice routes.

We hope to get up your way in the next year or two, as well.

Wherever you're going, there are lots of ways to get there. Some are more interesting than others.

2 lane or 4 lane you still need to stay in your lane, so there is little difference. 

Keep in mind that by the time you get to SLC and Provo you should feel comfortable driving the rig. 

If you are going to take I-70 by going all the way down I-15 to I-70 you will be going way out of your way.  Also there is a steep drop on I-70 between I-15 and Green River.  This drop will sneak up on you if you are not alert and it will be hard to slow down if you hit the drop at 65-70mph.  Going from Provo to Green River, via Price is not only much shorter, you miss this drop on I-70. 

About passing or being passed.  I pass another vehicle almost never on 2 lane or 4 lane roads.  I don't worry about being passed on 2 lane roads, but I do pull over on passing lanes. 

Even driving fairly large RV's for 12 years, I still dislike driving through the big cities with all the traffic.  Much, much more stressful than any driving I have done on 2 lane roads.  Just something to think about when you think about going though Denver. 

I have been driving: 33' travel trailer, 35' 5th wheel, 40 diesel pusher, 26' class C and now a 29' Class A. 

If you still decide to come over I-70, make sure you do it mid-week. If you try it Friday through Monday, you'll get to enjoy the I-70 parking lot...

lone_star_dsl said:
If you still decide to come over I-70, make sure you do it mid-week. If you try it Friday through Monday, you'll get to enjoy the I-70 parking lot...

Good point. Coming East on Friday is not too bad. Even Monday is not really bad. But don't even think about it Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom