I have < $100,000 to spend on a Class A Diesel Pusher. Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I would do if I were you is look at the slightly older, very high end coaches. Right now, there are some tremendous buys out there on Newell, Monaco, and even some older Prevost coaches. There are a number of these older, but very well built coaches that cost over 500K when new that are in your price range. Some even have very low miles and have usually been stored inside. These high end coaches often were years ahead of the mid range coaches in features and creature comforts also.

Look at a 92 to 96 Newell, you'll be amazed at what you can get.

But then again, almost all the really good coaches sleep 2 and occasionally 4, but never 8.

Chet18013

Thanks to all that replied.

Mr. Bojangles,
        I apologize, but the statement you are referring to was meant as a bit of a joke (hence the smiley face after it). Sure, I would love if it were to happen but by no means do I expect it. My intent of this thread is to gather as much information as possible to make in informed decision. Making a decision based on sales brochures is of course a bad idea. I was having a hard time separating the fluff from what was really good.

Rando,
        Why a diesel? I have read a few threads on the gas vs. diesel debate and what it comes down to for me is that I want to be able to maintain speed as best as possible through all terrain, plus most will agree that diesel has advantages with higher miles traveled. I essentially work for myself and travel anytime I will work, thus, if things work out like I have them in my head (fat chance) I will be using the coach more than what I see as typical. I appreciate your statistics. Things like that are helpful. One think I am is a mainstream guy. I buy what is popular because chances are, the company is more stable and their product better tested. Of course that is a very generic statement.

Chet,
        Upon your selection, I did a search for Newell. What I had falsely thought is that the older coaches didn't have slide outs. I found a 95 that is still too much for me in terms of price, but has a slide out. Wow, that is one luxurious coach. I will do some more searching down that path and see where it leads.

Thanks to all of you!

GT

GT,
You want torque in a motorhome rather than horsepower. That's why the diesel is superior to a gas engine for those loads. "Superior" doesn't mean the gas engine is inadequate, but given your desire for performance, the diesel is the way to go. As an example, I have a Cummins ISL engine rated at 370 hp but delivering 1100 1200 ft-lb of torque. The same engine is available with 400  and 425 hp, but all have the same 1100 1200 ft-lb of torque and there isn't  much difference in performance among them. The torque peaks occurs at different RPMs, though, and that's probably the major difference.

These days you can get a several year old high end coach for around $100k and that's what I would be shopping for. They are well built, use quality materials and usually have been well-maintained.

In the years you would be shopping I like Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Newmar, Alpine, American Coach, Travel Supreme, Country Coach, and Tiffin Allegro Bus. An Alfa might appeal to you too. There are a variety of models, floor plans and prices in that set, so look around.

The Alpine you are looking at is a fine one, but check out as many as you can before deciding on one. Each one you look at will open your eyes a bit further as to what you like and dislike.

Gary,

Thanks a lot for the reply. What do you think of the Newell as suggested by Chet? I have been looking at those ever since posted it. I like the idea of a coach like that, plus, I'm guessing they won't depreciate as badly especially considering that any I could afford would be 15 or so years old (a lot of depreciation already occurring). The biggest downside of the Newell that I see is lack of inventory. In my price range there are about 4 that I can find for sale.

Monaco keeps popping up on the radar from many of you so I'll start looking there specifically. Thanks a lot for your help!

GT

Personally I would suggest American Coach, Tiffin, Monaco all of which have a very good reputation for their support.  Others to consider would be Newmar and Country Coach.

GTHill said:
Chris,

On to the coach thing... I really wish someone would just post a link to the best deal for what I am looking for. How hard can that be? :)

GT
It is extremely hard to do that. I just bought a motorhome for $100k and it took me about 5 months of intense shopping to find it. A motorhome is an extremely complex piece of equipment and there is a lot to learn before you buy one. It is nothing like buying a car, it is like buying a car, a house and finding a wife all in one. There are thousands of motorhome online for sale. You need to figure out what options you want, what floorplan and spend a lot of time reading about motorhomes on forums and elsewhere. Don't expect someone else to do your shopping for you.

RV Roamer said:
As an example, I have a Cummins ISL engine rated at 370 hp but delivering 1100 ft-lb of torque. The same engine is available with 400  and 425 hp, but all have the same 1100 ft-lb of torque and there isn't  much difference in performance among them. The torque peaks occurs at different RPMs, though, and that's probably the major difference.

Gary

Has Cummins downrated the ISL? Mine (400) has 1200 ft-lb and I believe the 370 that was standard had the same torque. The chief engineer at TS felt that that the 370 was a better bang for the buck.

GT:
Wow....., coming back to this thread, I see that you are a considerate and thoughtful person. Thanks for apology, I can see the funny face now, and must conclude that I did wake up on the wrong side of my bed.
And as usual, the forum sure is giving you "food for thought", all is good, Happy Holidays! 
Respectfully  ;),
Mr. Bojangles
P.S. Keep us posted in your quest

I just saw a beautiful new (2008) Fleetwood Bounder DP that sleeps 6 and is only $150k - http://cheekandshockley.rvusa.com/inventory_item.asp?id=506155.

The same dealer has a gas Bounder (2008) that sleeps 7 for $92K - http://cheekandshockley.rvusa.com/inventory_item.asp?id=491771.

I was proud of myself for only walking away with the dump valve I went in for...

Any opinions out there on Winnebago? I have an opportunity to buy a 2003 Ultimate Freedom for $90k. According to other listings and NADA it looks like a good deal, but would like to see what the opinions are on this coach? Thanks!

GT

Winnebago has been around for many years and produces good products.

Google returned a number of links to safety recalls on that year and model. You might want to check them out to ensure there's nothing serious.

Here's a link to a 2001 Ultimate Freedom which includes some specs on the coach. I have no idea which, if any, specs changed between model years.

GT,

In the August 2008 issue of MotorHome magazine on page 47 they have an article about Winnebago's Sightseer 35J. The floor plan shows buck beds with a sofa bed and dinette that makes into a bed and a king size bed in the back. It says it will sleep 8.

This is a gas coach but if Winnebago has this floor plan on this coach they may have it on one of their DP models.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
GT,

In the August 2008 issue of MotorHome magazine on page 47 they have an article about Winnebago's Sightseer 35J. The floor plan shows buck beds with a sofa bed and dinette that makes into a bed and a king size bed in the back. It says it will sleep 8.

This is a gas coach but if Winnebago has this floor plan on this coach they may have it on one of their DP models.

Unfortunately, they do not have this layout in a diesel.  If they did I may have ended up with a DP instead of the Sightseer 35J that we bought.  I will say that I have been relatively pleased with the power of the gas engine, but you still will slow on steep grades (above 5%) unless you flog the engine, which as I learned will result in a steep decline in the amount of fuel in your tank!  If you want to move at high-speed over the hills, stick with a DP.

Also, while listed for 8 adults, in reality it will sleep 4 adults + 4 kids very well, 6 + 2 okay, and 8 in a real pinch and you better have 4 of the 8 adults at 5'6" or less.  We are very comfortable with my wife and I in the main bed, the kids in the two bunks and the Grandparents on the convertible air-bed sofa, and two miniature schnauzers under the dinette, which is what we needed.

You asked, here:

http://www.shorewoodrv.com/Hidden/InventoryDetails/2007/Class%20A%20Diesel/Coachmen/Cross%20Country/389%20DS/tabid/3231/invid/64362/Default.aspx

It's new....Why buy used? 10k over your budget, but maybe able to work something out. A great dealer. No I don't work there, but I have been a customer.

Whatever you do don't buy from Crabbtree in Alma. check out mcclains they seem to have great people in OKC, we live in Siloam Springs Ar. bought from crabbtree, and have been very unpleased with them. The Winnebago we bought has been back to Forest City Iowa 2 times for work.

Thanks a lot for the heads up.

Any word on an Alpine Coach? I'm debating between an 2003 Alpine Coach 40' vs a 2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40'. Both have the similar drive train and space. Price is pretty close between the two of them. Any input? Thanks!

Gene

we looked at a alpine coach early on,(took us a year to find ours) I liked the center entry door, was told less noise up front, and if wifey is asleep no need to wake when fueling up. ;D that's always a plus. I think the winnie is a nice coach too, I'll be honest with you though. I came onto this forum and asked all kinds of questions of these guy's. The one thing they all said, and I should've listened was this... Buy a good used coach first.. you find out what you need and don't need, what you like and don't like, but most of all, all the bug's should be worked out and someone else's expense..lol

Alpine builds excellent coaches (and trailers too), but since they have gone out of business I would have a minor reservation about their coaches. The "reservation" is that Alpines are built on a proprietary chassis (the Peak chassis) and with Western RV out of business there could be problems obtaining some parts. The major components (engine, tranny, axles, etc) are from industry standard suppliers, but there may be some components that are tailored to the Peak chassis and some structural parts that are unique to it.

That said, Alpine is great coach. If I liked it better than the Winnie Ultimate, I'd probably buy it regardless of the chassis question.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and advice. My wife and I have purchased the 2003 Alpine Coach that I discussed earlier. We haven't taken many trips as of yet, but I look forward to it very much. Thanks again!

GT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom