I know what I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry and Rita

The first part of the week we got home from a month in the woods, down the street there live a nice couple the lady is 87 and the gent is 99.
The fellow has a great deal of trouble walking and they knew we had had a Handi-Lift put on out RV so my wife (who can't do steps very well) could go traveling.
In front of thier house was a 1995 HR, 36 footer class A.
I thought it was family visiting, but soon found out they had just bought it.
They came up to look at ours and so I gave the gent a ride on the lift, he was so unstable he almost fell of twice, I questioned what they were going to do and was informed they planned to travel. The lady is not able to drive the RV and the gent can hardly walk.
As the visit continued I found that they had paid $50k (That dealer should have been shot) they would have had to tie me up and hold me down to get me to pay $10K, there is about $5,000 in repairs needed.
They said they were planning on hireing a driver.
I just can't fathom thier logic.

$50K! Yikes!  That ought to be considered robbery.

On the other hand, we met an older couple in a campground that weren't much better off physically. He could drive but couldn't walk. She could walk but couldn't drive (eyesight). Together they piloted their 42 ft Newmar all over the country.  They had a lift and she pushed his wheelchair around the campsite, accomplishing the same chores that the rest of us have to do to set up.. A really cheerful couple who did not want to spend their declining years sitting in front of a tv at home. I wish I had that much fortitude...

Poor old folks, gotta love 'em.  Heck, I'm nearly one of 'em.  If it weren't for endangering others around you, it might be a good way to "go" - together on the road. :)

On the other hand, we met an older couple in a campground that weren't much better off physically. He could drive but couldn't walk. She could walk but couldn't drive (eyesight). Together they piloted their 42 ft Newmar all over the country.  They had a lift and she pushed his wheelchair around the campsite, accomplishing the same chores that the rest of us have to do to set up.. A really cheerful couple who did not want to spend their declining years sitting in front of a tv at home. I wish I had that much fortitude...

I read this kind of stuff and think Oh my God, there go my husband and I.  Honestly I hope not as I can't believe that is safe.

I have seen some folks that get out of huge motorhomes that probably shouldn't be allowed to cross the street alone.  That is one thing that scares me.  I'm not trying to be mean to anyone but I pray I know when I need to hang up my keys, but will I? 

I met a very nice couple at Peace River TT, he was 96 and a retired Army General and his wife. She done the driving and he the navigator. They got along fine. She set the MH up in less time than some others I have seen. Go until you can't go no more!

Some dealers/sales people have no conscience. I believe that someday justice will occur.

RE: the older couple, I hope they enjoy their time in their RV as long as they can.

We once knew a 90-year-old lady who had been RVing by herself for many years in a smaller Class C.  When a truck unexpectedly pulled out in front of her she ended up rolling over down into a ditch.  She wasn't hurt and the next morning ordered a new motorhome.  That dear lady finally gave up RVing a couple of years later and not because she wanted to or needed to but because she could no longer find competent help to do the things she could no longer do by herself.  She was very much missed by our group when she hung up the keys.

ArdraF

Wow, that is awesome.

Heck I know about the competent help deal right now.  I can't get people to help while Tom is gone.  Most seem to just want to shortcut everything and charge a lot while doing it.

People who take advantage of others suck. If this is anywhere near Denver let me know, but please, post the dealer.

Don't know how well you know this couple. If I could, I would first make sure they and a family member know just how much they were taken advantage of. Then I would encourage the family to pay a visit to the dealer to make an adjustment to the deal before contacting the media. They would have a good argument considering their age.
It may of been legal but that doesn't make it right.

I know what I think, something sounds fishy about this whole thing.  Perhaps the elderly couple was not quite fortright with the cost of the RV.

I agree the couple may have mis-represented the cost.. However the O/P might wish to check into it and contact the better business folks,, or one of the RV-Action Lines and see if perhaps a partial refund might be in order for the folks in question.

Thanks to assorted medical issues I have serious limits on my physical powress now days.. However I"m still able to sit in a captains' chair and drive the rig many miles without danger.. I do admit though that I don't drive as far in one day as I used to.. And that if I'm starting to feel tired.. I find parking fast.

Last major drive I managed 2x as far as I planned (However that said it turns out I"d planned a lot shorter trip than normal so 2x was only about 4 hours drive time)

Worked out very well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom