I need a recommendation for a tent trailer for a special needs person

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasatch Rebel

Hi. My wife and I were thinking about purchasing a tent trailer, probably used, but in great condition. The thing is, my wife is disabled. She's not in a wheel chair, but her disease causes her a lot of problems with climbing stairs, and she also needs a toilet area that is larger than the normal bathrooms you see in tent trailers. I don't want to waste a lot of time going and looking at trailers that aren't going to work for her, so if you can help me narrow things down with some recommendations, I'd really appreciate it.

Toilet areas in tent trailers are nearly always going to be small, mainly because the concept of the trailer is that it is as small as possible.  I think I have seen something - maybe a Casita - where the toilet was not enclosed in a room.  No privacy, but at least no tiny spaces?

I tend to agree with jrabbit.  Any RV I have owned or been in has had a 2 or 3 step entrance. 
A tent trailer is built to be compact.  I've had two pop-ups and one of them was accessory loaded to the hilt.  The largest Jayco had in 1994.  Very small curtained head and shower.  Even a small TT may not have enough available space to accommodate your wife in the bathroom.  I guess it would depend on floorplan at that stage.  If she is willing to sacrifice privacy for comfort, you may find a floorplan that would work for you.

Regardless, I truly hope you find one that works for the both of you. 

jrabbit said:
Toilet areas in tent trailers are nearly always going to be small, mainly because the concept of the trailer is that it is as small as possible.  I think I have seen something - maybe a Casita - where the toilet was not enclosed in a room.  No privacy, but at least no tiny spaces?

Thanks for your suggestion, jrabbit. At this point, since it would be just she and I, the privacy isn't an issue. So yeah, a toilet that isn't enclosed in a room would probably be best actually.

denmarc said:
I tend to agree with jrabbit.  Any RV I have owned or been in has had a 2 or 3 step entrance. 
A tent trailer is built to be compact.  I've had two pop-ups and one of them was accessory loaded to the hilt.  The largest Jayco had in 1994.  Very small curtained head and shower.  Even a small TT may not have enough available space to accommodate your wife in the bathroom.  I guess it would depend on floorplan at that stage.  If she is willing to sacrifice privacy for comfort, you may find a floorplan that would work for you.

Regardless, I truly hope you find one that works for the both of you.

Thanks, denmarc. I think I may be able to build something for the entrance. Unless someone here has seen some kind of accessory that you can buy that would help out with that, I'll probably end up building something. So if I can find one with bathroom accomodations that will work, I can probably make do. I guess I'd entertain other ideas at this point that would be at the lower end of the financial scale. I could probably just put a portapotty in one and have that work, as long as she could use the shower.

orlinsky said:
You might want to think about looking for a unit where you can enlarge the bathroom by removing an internal partition.

Joel

Thanks, Joel. That's a good suggestion.

Have you considered anything other than a tent trailer?  I'm thinking along the lines of a small toy hauler class C.  With a ramp instead of step entrance possible and less need to get in and out as she can ride in it once on board.  And, depending on the floor plan it could have an enlarged bathroom area.  Such a vehicle in your price range that is in good shape would probably be hard to find, but I was just thinking...

I like the toy hauler idea if I was in the same situation. 

Another idea I thought of...
Check around in your local area for companies that manufacture and/or install ramps and lifts for handicapped persons onto transport vehicles.  Such as passenger vans and small buses. 
I used to deliver metal to a couple of these companies here in MI that would take new vans and other transport vehicles and convert them to be handicapped accessable.  I am guessing this undertaking would not be cheap.  But I only mention it in hopes that someone at one of these types of places could offer suggestions for you.  Perhaps some leads for more information pertaining to RVs.

And by all means, grab the phone and the Yellow Pages and call your local RV dealers.  Tell them your situation and see if they can help you at all.  Maybe there is a Service Mgr. somewhere that has ran into this before.  Asking for ideas and suggestions doesn't cost anything!
You can't be the only ones in the country looking for a way to accommodate your needs and enjoy RVing!

Back
Top Bottom