I need a smaller awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGiacomo

I have a standard sized awning on my old bounder. It is in good shape, but it must be tough ;), because it has blown over the top a couple of times since i've had it.........it is getting to be a chore for me to handle when the wind comes up.......most of the summer we camp at one or two lakes in our area and  both lakes are near mountain ranges, so the wind is unpredictable...........[direction and speed can change really fast :)]

I know I am pushing my luck with this old awning......I would like to keep my old bounder as near to stock as i can.........so the best place for the awning is in the wound-up and locked-down position ;)

I'm thinking of an awning maybe just 5 or 6 ft wide.........I need to be able to close it fast........and i need to be able to handle it by myself........

We bought a table umbrella with stand.......the fabric actually lets some air through, screens the sun, and is very lightweight .........but i have to tie it down, to the mh and be very careful that we don't hang ourselves on the straps :eek: .........i think we can make this work....but I just thought I would ask here to see if anyone can lead me to an other ideas.....

Why not tie down the awning with a couple of ratchet straps. One on each end.  Get a couple of the cork screw anchors and just screw them into the ground at a slight angle away from the roller tube. Maybe 1 foot at the bottom.

I can do that and have done that, but I'm just trying to protect the stock awning, ........and it is old and heavy like me.........cranky and hard to handle.......I'm just looking for simpler and lighter...........if that is possible........

Would this be in addition to the stock awning? I'm not clear on the goal of "keeping it stock" but adding or replacing the awning. Seems like a conflict. In any case, you can buy awnings starting at about 9 or 10 ft in length.

Have you considered upgrading to a motorized awning instead of the cranky old one? Then you could just push a button to deploy or retract.

I don't know what would be best......but i do know that the wind can, and will come in strong and hard and change directions in a hurry..........we had what the natives called a micro-burst one night that hit so hard that it pulled the closed awning up over the lock tabs.....  buy the time i hit the door everything was calm ???. a matter of seconds!

I guess I need to find one that i can open and close easily about every time we go inside .......... if  there is such a thing..........??

the other side of this bounder has great little spring loaded pull down awnings  for each window.........very simple, very easy, and strong......I'm wondering if someone makes that style............a little longer and wider..........then all i would have to do is to drive a good anchor in the ground and hook the awning strap to it???.......just  thinking .......

I'll keep on shopping

and yes it would be an addition .....i have room for brackets between the door past the kitchen window.

It would not bother me a bit to leave that big old awning nicely rolled up and in place.......my son likes this old bounder as much as i do..........so i'll let him mess with that awning.....when i get ready to pass it on.........or pass on............. ;D

I've had two awning blown off. I now have an electric awning which retracts in about 30 seconds.

However we very seldom extend it and never leave the coach while it is extended. 

Back
Top Bottom