I need good RV insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KANDJCITATION

hello

just wanting some input on a good rv insurance company, have a 4 season 5th wheel and want to insure it correctly.

thanks in advance for everyones help

Try using the Search button above, and you'll find numerous prior discussions on the subject of insurance.

I gotta agree about Progressive. I had a trailer damaged in a hail storm a few years ago. They came to my house. The adjuster admitted he wasn't real familiar with trailer repair. He called the mfg, dealer, some repair places etc. and it was settled with no problems in just a few days.

There are many options that have been discussed here, in my case, I went with GEICO.  My experience with them in past has always been great, the price was excellent, and everyone I spoke with were extremely professional and courtious.

The key is whether or not you are a full-timer.  If it is not your primary residence, give the first nod to your automobile insurance company.  I pay about $40 per YEAR for $6,000 coverage on my 22' Wilderness TT.

I am an insurance underwriter by trade, as a disclaimer.

I went with Geico recently to start insurance on my TT, as I had my vehicles through them.  Rates for full coverage including campsite liability on the Fox were great.  HOWEVER, I recently found out that they do NOT insure fulltimers.  The first three agents I talked with said yes, the supervisor I talked with a few months later said no.

So now I'm in the market too. <g>

meyerhaus said:
The key is whether or not you are a full-timer.  If it is not your primary residence, give the first nod to your automobile insurance company.  I pay about $40 per YEAR for $6,000 coverage on my 22' Wilderness TT.

How do you get $40.00 per year?  I have Progressive and just to check rates for a travel trailer it came up between 20/25 per MONTH!

Did you get a severe discount because that is your job, or can anyone get in on that rate?

PEACE

I have Nationwide and mine is 37.00 for 6 months on a 10,000 5th wheel. Which they bought to replace my travel trailer in 2007.

freelance said:
How do you get $40.00 per year?  I have Progressive and just to check rates for a travel trailer it came up between 20/25 per MONTH!

Did you get a severe discount because that is your job, or can anyone get in on that rate?

PEACE
I don't get a discount for working at the carrier.  We are not a direct writer like Progressive or Gieco; our policies are sold by Independent Insurance Agents, so I actually go through an agent to get my policy.  I do have some no-loss credits, but that's it.  If you lived where I live, own what I own, and have zero losses, your price would be exactly the same.

Geographical location matters...a lot.  The price to insure my Wilderness in Cincinnati is probably pennies on the dollar compared to Philadelphia or another big city.

It can never hurt to have your insurance quoted around.  It doesn't cost you a thing to do it.  All you have to do is get your policy declarations pages together (those are the parts of your insurance policies that have your limits, premiums, and coverages listed), contact your local Independent Insurance Agent (writes with multiple companies) and direct writers (State Farm, American Family, Nationwide), and wait for the quotes to come back.

One thing that you should always keep in mind is that not all insurance policies are created equal.  Most preffered carriers (Chubb, Cincinnati, Fireman's Fund, State Auto, etc.) that you can get through Independent Agents have broader forms than direct writers.  There might be less exclusions and more built-in coverages.  Your agent should be able to provide you with a coverage comparison.  I'm not saying that Geico or Progressive don't have good forms; I've just never seen them.  However, I can tell you that my company's form is great and the price is more than right (it's actually $37 annually with a $500 deductible).

I'd love to tell you for which company I work, but I don't want to (a) get in trouble with my company for giving advice or (b) make it look like I'm trolling for business.

meyerhouse,

Thank you for the detailed response.  You can pm me the name of the company is you wish (I won't tell, I promise!)

I am glad that this subject was brought up because the disparity on the online quote I got from Progressive and what I am reading on the forum is huge.

Definetely will shop around since we are picking up our new toy hauler in a few days.

PEACE

hello to all

just bought a 2004 nu wa champange and would like to find good insurance, since it is the most expensive rv i have ever owned!!

thanks in advance

also, can i change my sign on name easily??

Click the Resources button above and scroll down to RV Insurance. Others will probably jump in with their individual recommendations.

can i change my sign on name easily??

Do you really mean your user name, or maybe the name that appears in your messages in the forum. If the latter, click the Profile button above and select Account related settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Change profile to save the changes.

[quote author=KANDJCITATION]YES, I DID MEAN USER NAME[/quote]

Click the IM icon beneath my avatar to send me a PM with your desired user name and I'll gladly change it for you.

Good catch meyerhaus, thanks. I went ahead and merged the two topics.

meyerhaus said:

WELL, any suggestions on fulltimer insurance?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom