I need opinions on the sale of my motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PastorTravis

Hello everyone. I need a little help as I am trying to sell our 2002 Bounder motor home. I really feel stuck because we have tried all year to sell. Here is what I have done so far.
1. Craigslist ads in multiple cities
2. One paid ad for a month in the online RV Trader
2. A free ad at racingjunk.com
4. Put it by a busy highway with a sign off and on

We are missionaries and leave for an overseas assignment in January so we really need to sell. I'm not looking to make money on it. The payoff is $43,300. I have listed it for $44,000, $43,000, and nothing. No calls.

Just this week I listed it for $39,900. I am resolved to the fact that I will just have to take a loss on it. But I will have to borrow the money to make up the loss so I have to be careful.

My questions:

1. Is the price just too high?
2. Is there better ways to market it? (Should I spend a few hundred on bigger, better ads?)
3. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, I know there is a lot of knowledge on here. If you want to see the rig to see condition and details, go here http://huntsville.craigslist.org/rvs/4710465742.html

According to NADA values you're on the high side of the pricing for a 2002. I sold my 2010 Bounder last year in under 2-weeks on Craig's List. I listed for under the NADA values.

I just looked up the NADA and it says low retail is $39,670 and High retail is $47,790. It is now priced at $39,900. That seems right to me. Is the market for these older units just tough right now or do I need to go lower? Am I expecting too much at that price or is it a fair price?

If you have any park and sell lots in your area check into them.  We tried everything you did and nothing worked when we tried to sell our trailer.  When we left it at a park and sell lot for two months it sold.  If there aren't any lots, try a consignment shop.  What's important is getting the RV in front of buyers.  Difficult to do on paper. 

Camping World and or most other RV lots will sell it for you........ I don't know their fees if any.
I think they get your bottom price and add their profit on top.... You can check with them. I have seen their ads on craigslist this year.
Just food for thought????

The [free] online NADA RV guide isn't really accurate, so get a look at the subscription [paid] version. Your bank probably has it, and many local libraries have it too. Or a friendly dealer might assist you by looking it up. The free version is estimated depreciation, whereas the paid version has some actual market data behind it.

You didn't mention the length of the Bounder, number of slides or other pertinent info, but my gut feel is that your price is high for a private sale, where people are looking for bargains and worried about having no dealer to back up the sale. I'm not saying those worries are really justified, but they are nonetheless a fact.

Take a look at what Bounders have recently sold for at PPL Motorhomes, a major consignment agent. These are actual selling prices, not asking prices. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/class-a-motor-homes.htm

I see a 2002 37 ft Bounder at $21,995 and a 2001 for $30,995.  A couple 2004's in the $34,000-$41,000 range.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Gary I included the link to my ad on Craigslist instead of typing in all the pertinent info. But, it is a 2002 39' Fleetwood Bounder on a Freightliner chassis with 2 slides, 300 Cummins, 7.5 KW generator.

This may just be my hangup, but I never respond to Craigslist or any other ad that does not have a phone number.  If you have something to sell, I want to talk to someone about it, not play the e-mail tag through Craigslist.

I believe the PPL data provided is for gas bounders.  The link below is for the sold diesels. 

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/diesel-motor-homes.htm

I suggest that you take some clearer pictures and a lot of them and from every angle. Post them up on one of the photo sites like Photobucket, then provide a link in your ad. My gut feeling is that the model year plus the price point is probably working against you even though it might easily be worth what you are asking. My guess is that many people that are going to be interested in a $40k rv, are going to be interested in borrowing for it, and that may not be possible on a 12 year old motorhome (not sure). I'm thinking that maybe cash buyers will generally be looking for newer or older and cheaper also. I'm sure there's a buyer for you out there, it looks like a nice RV. Where He guides, He provides.

not sure if going into winter is helping either. I would look at a consignment lot- get some references and check them out. we did that with our TT and the first dealer used it to get people in to buy new ones, I brought it back home and used a friend of mine who owns mid west rv connection and it was sold in spring of this year. I agree get it out in front of people.

The pictures are not good. They need to be from more angles, much clearer and include close-up shots of counters, appliances, beds, storage bins etc.

Is your note assumable....ie can someone else take over payments?  Check with your lending institution....zero down take over payments might appeal to some buyers.  You get to walk away, they get into a motorhome with nothing down.

Yes, my first PPL link was for gas Bounders. The diesels bring a higher price, of course, but you are still near the top side.  I see a 2002 Fleetwood Discovery with two slides for $46,995 and that's a definite step up from the Bounder.  So, I think yours will sell at or near $39,900, but it may not happen as quickly as you like. As has been mentioned, you need a buyer who likes the coach and who has $40k in cash to plunk down. Bank financing is probably not an option on a 13 year old coach.

a year and a half ago, we got financing with a very low interest rate via credit union on our 1998 Motor coach, no problem at all...  They even thought we got an excellent deal.

Could you share where you got that financing?  It's sometimes possible to get such financing, but most larger lenders do not want to deal with the risk. Locally owned banks (there aren't many left!) and credit unions are probably the best bet.

Jimmy & Joan said:
This may just be my hangup, but I never respond to Craigslist or any other ad that does not have a phone number.  If you have something to sell, I want to talk to someone about it, not play the e-mail tag through Craigslist.

X2  You are a pastor, you should be able to talk to people.  Get your contact number on the CL and get rid of the email.  Only deal with people who will call and ask questions and are willing to come and see it.  Email invites scam artists.  I refuse to respond to texts also.

Tom...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom