i read that us older RV owners arent allowed in some RV parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a little worried about this thread then realized he was talking about the age of the rv. I feel better now. ;D

This is a growing trend in the last few years.
It used to only been seen at high class and experiences class a only camp grounds, but the practice is starting to trickal down to regular camp grounds even koas.  They clam it for the safety of the camper and other crap like that.  But the plane truth is .... It's to keep the riffraff out.  ..... The theory is if you can't afford a shiny new camper. Then that means you not going to spend enough money at the camp store or on other activities they sell....  I refuse to go to camp grounds like that..... I also suspect that sooner or later the government will look into this practise and Dean it illegal

robertusa123 said:
It's to keep the riffraff out.  ..... The theory is if you can't afford a shiny new camper. Then that means you not going to spend enough money at the camp store or on other activities they sell....

Oh oh. I'm in trouble now. The RV is 28 years old and only cost $5,500. After spending over 20 grand for a few parts it still looks like a 28 year old RV.

I have had that experience when shopping retail. Salesmen wouldn't come up to me because I looked like riffraff even though I had thousands of dollars in my pocket to spend. You can't always judge a book by its cover.

Tom may be right that it could take 6 months to evict if the system drags on, but it looks like it's more like up to 3 months if all goes "smoothly". This is California FWIW. https://www.upcounsel.com/how-to-evict-a-tenant-in-california

I'm not sure I get the correlation between an older trailer and someone being a deadbeat. We have a 14 YO Nissan Maxima that runs great and looks good for its age and we certainly aren't deadbeats. Why would we want a new one?

We are in So Oregon now and there is an RV park near where we are living. The majority of trailers in the park are well over 10 years old, and many definitely look like it. No one in that park looks like a deadbeat either.

I guess if an RV park can afford to turn away money, more power to 'em.

I understand that it hurts some people's sensitivities but rolling into a campground looking like "Cousin Eddie" from Vacation can sour the image of the campground.  Many people want to go explore the world and see beautiful locales.  Spending precious time and money in a run down trailer park is not appealing.  We've all seen the beautiful older RVs, especially the retros but we have also seen the rolling junk. 

I used to work for a telephone company in Florida.  I went into the best and worst trailer parks imaginable.  Now that I'm an RV owner I think about whether it is an aestheticly pleasing campground or not.  What I've seen is that some campgrounds, particularly with seasonals take on the appearance of the run down trailer parks I saw in Florida.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

Like it or Not, we need to look at this from the PARK owner/operator perspective.

RV parks are like Rental Properties. They have to set Standards. Standards to "Qualify" to rent from them, on a nightly, weekly or monthly "Rental Agreement" basis.

Some Basic, Up Front ways to set some sort of a Standard.. is to State, or Require (say): One Night, pre paid minimum. Rv's over XX years old not accepted.... No Conversion RV's.. We are an Adult park, No dogs over XX pounds....Or the like.

In these days of being "Politically Correct".. some of these "Standards", are offensive to some of us.. but we need to look at "The Big Picture" ?

I'd bet most all of us have pulled in to a RV park, or Area, took a look.. Turned around and left.. cuz it didn't meet [Our] Standards.

The same applies from the Park Owner/Operator/Management perspective ?

I like riff-raff. My favorite attire is shorts flipflops and a tee shirt. All my toys are sharp and very well kept. My wife makes a 6 figure income but you can't tell by our appearance..Oh well if the rich and famous don't like it they can KOJA!!! Oh and there are several RV parks on the Island at Havasu..when you cross the London Bridge..Only one has the 10 year old rule..the other seems to be a circus type atmosphere....

We just spent a couple weeks in a park in Maggie Valley, NC and the online reservation form asked for the age of our motor home, and then once we checked in and got a copy of their rules, they said they had a right to inspect any rv over 10 years old.  Mine is 15 years old but they didn't say anything about it nor requested to inspect it upon arrival.  I think most are worried about Clark Griswald's cousin Eddie showing up.

john owens said:
I like riff-raff. My favorite attire is shorts flipflops and a tee shirt.

Shorts and flip flops are not the point.  Toys that are "Sharp and well kept" is the point or trashy junk yard vs appealing travel destination. 

Hammster said:
Tom may be right that it could take 6 months to evict if the system drags on, but it looks like it's more like up to 3 months if all goes "smoothly". This is California FWIW. https://www.upcounsel.com/how-to-evict-a-tenant-in-california
Yes it can go as quickly as three months but if they hire a lawyer or get legal aid it could take much longer. All the while that space that could have been producing income is not producing income.
I'm not sure I get the correlation between an older trailer and someone being a deadbeat. We have a 14 YO Nissan Maxima that runs great and looks good for its age and we certainly aren't deadbeats. Why would we want a new one?
Because in the past it is always the guy with the duct-tape-mobile that doesn't pay his bills. People driving a new expensive DP generally pay on time.
We are in So Oregon now and there is an RV park near where we are living. The majority of trailers in the park are well over 10 years old, and many definitely look like it. No one in that park looks like a deadbeat either.
If you own a business you are allowed to make your own rules. If you don't like the rules go to another park.
I guess if an RV park can afford to turn away money, more power to 'em.
If a deadbeat doesn't pay his bills it ends up costing them a fortune in the long run.

It is obvious to me that many people posting in this thread have never owned an RV park and had to evict anyone. I have not owned an RV park but I did work as as motel manager for a few years that rented long term and I did have to evict plenty of people. It is not a fun job. What always amazed me is that the deadbeats never have money for rent (I get paid next week) but they have no problem affording their cigarettes, booze and drugs. Pay rent or buy junk, tough choice when you are an addict.

Mpyre said:
If your rig looks like this you may have a problem with the 10 yr rule.

Just guessing but I don't think that slideout is operational

[quote author=john owens]... when you cross the London Bridge..the other seems to be a circus type atmosphere....[/quote]

I know which one that is  ;D

We had a funny experience at "The Palms" in Yuma. We pulled in with our 2016 White Water Retro TT on Tuesday, April 26th. They told us that they would be closing for the season on Friday. When I said we only wanted to stay 2 nights, the lady began writing up our stay. Before she was finished, her phone rang. She told the caller, "Oh. I see," stopped the check in process and said to me, "What year is your RV?" I said, "It's a 2016. It is one month old." "Oh!," she says, "All right then." and continued checking us in.  ;D Even though the park was about 90% empty, the age police were definitely on the job.  That was the only such incident on our 8,600 mile trip, but we still get a chuckle from it.

Last winter I called to reserve at an RV park near tampa, fl They had a 15 year limit on the age of the coach. Mine was 18 years old. They had a spot but would not allow me to reserve it.

I have not run into the RV age discrimination thing... yet.

I do try to keep my ancient rig maintained,  tidy and clean.

Blue Beacon RV wash is my friend.

There are so many RV parks to choose from including the municipal ones which don't seem to discriminate at all.

Not everyone feels the needs to boast their wealth in ultra apparent ways. Not sure I want to be around the company of an RV park that judges their citizens based solely on the age of the RV.

Back
Top Bottom