I think I have the wrong stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimLaJoie

I purchased a 2014 Jayco Jayflight. The stove burns with yellow tipped flames. (no yellow tips on low settings) I run on LPG. On the exterior of the rig I find a capped gas line, with a shutoff valve. It is on the street side which seems odd if being used for a BBQ.
I suspect that this rig may have been hooked up to natural gas at one time and the stove, perhaps, converted.
The stove is a Wedgwood Vision, by Atwood
This is my third RV stove and the other two always burned blue...
If this has been modified for natural gas, can I modify it back?
All help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 13
I purchased a 2014 Jayco Jayflight. The stove burns with yellow tipped flames. (no yellow tips on low settings) I run on LPG. On the exterior of the rig I find a capped gas line, with a shutoff valve. It is on the street side which seems odd if being used for a BBQ.
I suspect that this rig may have been hooked up to natural gas at one time and the stove, perhaps, converted.
The stove is a Wedgwood Vision, by Atwood
This is my third RV stove and the other two always burned blue...
If this has been modified for natural gas, can I modify it back?
All help appreciated
Welcome to the forum.
When you turn the burners down to low, is the flame about 3/16” to 1/4” long?
Are you using a humidifier in the rv?
Or is it real humid where you are?

Please answer all these three basic questions. I may have an answer for you problem but I need answers first.

Last edited:
If you think the capped line may have been an inlet. More likely for a large Propane tank for long term stay than natural gas.... I've seen many RV's with long-term propane.

Try shutting off your tank and turning it on slowly. Or a bad regulator.

If your using the propane stove at a higher altitude such as Big Bear Lake (6,750 feet), California versus in San Diego then the appliance isn't getting enough air creating the yellow tipped flames. Need the right air/fuel mix.

Our Zip Code elevation is 9,917 feet so I'm aware of the reasons why our potato chip bags explode open.

Last edited:
The picture that you posted looks nearly normal to me and it fits with the description of proper flame in the Wedgwood service manual. I suspect that someone may have added the off-side connection to connect to a larger propane tank. According to Wedgwood there is no conversion for the stove to use natural gas, only the standard propane model. Some models do have an adjustable air shutter that might need some adjustment. The first thing that you should do is to check for proper propane pressure as a bad propane regulator could cause you problems.

Last edited:
The capped line is almost surely an inlet for an external propane tank. Common on rigs that are parked long term or used during the winter. Natural gas conversions for RVs are really rare and I don't recall ever seeing a NG burner jet for an Atwood RV stove. Plus an NG conversion would also require mods for the furnace and gas water heater.

I don't think yellow tipped flames at full heat are all that unusual. Your photo looks like other RV stoves I've owned. I doubt if you have anything to worry about.

Welcome to the forum.
When you turn the burners down to low, is the flame about 3/16” to 1/4” long?
Are you using a humidifier in the rv?
Or is it real humid where you are?

Please answer all these three basic questions. I may have an answer for you problem but I need answers first.
Yes, short and blue. Humidity in this rig is 55%. I do not use a humidifier or a dehumidifier. My most common use of the stove is to make coffee, which increases the humidity somewhat.

Yes, short and blue. Humidity in this rig is 55%. I do not use a humidifier or a dehumidifier. My most common use of the stove is to make coffee, which increases the humidity somewhat.
What I was going to say is that I had a similar issue like yours in my home. What we found was that we had a small humidifier in our bedroom. We were using regular tap water.
What was happening when we opened the bedroom door in the morning the humid air would go over above the burners and the flame would go from blue to yellow. The water droplets have contaminants that would burn by the flame and making the flame turn yellow.
We stopped using the humidifier and the flame immediately went back to blue. I put the humidifier on a counter next to the stove, turned it on and the flame immediately turned yellow.
I’ve since read the owners manual and it does recommend using distilled water or purified water.

That external connection is probably NOT an inlet line, it's a line to connect an external gas BBQ or gas operated griddle that runs off the campers propane tanks.

Those quick connects have cut off valves and always have caps on them to keep dirt out.

Click Here.

We need to see a pic of the capped off fitting the OP is referring to.

A 2014 Jayco Jay Flight is apparently a trailer from what Google shows me. It is unlikely that a trailer has a street side inlet such as a "Extend-a-stay" or "Stay-a-while" fittings that are added to motor homes.

So, its necessary to see what the OP is referring to.

Beyond that, the OP needs to check their gas pressure and determine it is at or very close to 11 inch/WC which is about 1/2 psi.

Stoves also have a secondary regulator underneath, attached to them. Attached is a Wedgwood stove burner control valves, manifold and regulator, starter, etc. (randomly pulled from an RV parts suppliers website) and I have circled the regulator.

Charles

Attachments

• 54130__04211.jpg
    54130__04211.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom