I think there's a "haint" at the top of the hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molaker

I live at the end of a short road leading down to Bull Shoals Lake shore.  We're the last house before Corps of Engineers land begins.  The road is only about 1/8 of a mile long and makes a fairly steep drop from the turn-off down to the lake.  It drops over 100 feet in 500 yards.

A few weeks ago, I had my transmission worked on (new seals) and on the way home from the repair shop, as I turned the corner and started down the hill toward the house, the engine quit.  I was doing maybe 10-15 mph.  My first indication was when I hit the brakes heading down the hill.  Whoa!  I had to really put my weight into it with the loss of power brakes.  I managed to stop, put the thing in neutral and it started right up.  Nary a glitch after that.  I decided it was because the engine was hot and when I let off the gas at the slow speed, it just starved out.

Yesterday, we were returning from a 400 plus mile trip, pulling the Jeep.  It had run fine both ways with no problems whatsoever.  I turned the corner onto our road and started down the hill, again about 10 mph, when it died.  Yikes!  This time I was dragging and extra 4,000 lbs. behind me.  I shoved it in neutral while still moving and tried to start it.  It started right up and never missed another lick.  We came to a pretty abrupt stop, though, because I was still standing on the brakes when it started up.

The thing I cannot figure is this recurrence at almost the precise spot it occurred before, like I hit some kind of force field or whatever.  I've decided it must be a "haint" hanging around up there.

On the other hand, if I had to guess I would had said it was a bad dashpot - but EFI doesn't use such a thing.  So, what should I start looking for?

Tom, that is scary and will have a lot of people thinking about the cause right now. I certainly cannot give you a definite answer. My brain is too small... ::)

One thing I would like to know if you were in DR (high gear) or whether you were shifted down to 1st or second gear while descending that steep hill. That may have prevented it. Yet something must be wrong.

Perhaps a note on that will help in the diagnosis.

Carson FL

ps: I looked at pictures of your area...impressive/awesome...

Not in a lower gear.  Just in drive and coasting just before the bottom drops out.  Then when I stepped on the brakes - nada.

The good news is, you have good brakes and strong legs... The bad news is....... you have to move!!!

::)  (Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!)

Working on a race car last thursday. Installed dual in tank fuel pumps like I have done 50 times in other desert race cars, put the cap back on that was hangin there buy its chain. No remote quick fill on this one. Me and my boy jump in for a quick test spin with the lap top hooked up, going great till we turn down hill and pop blown fuel pump fuse. Wow weird no tools no fuses oh well the siren don't need one right now borrow fuse and we are off till we turn down hill. Pop another fuse, we borrow fuses to get home till we are powering the ECM Fuel pump and ONE cooling fan. Yes there were lots of down hills to get home. So once home I try to remove the fuel fill cap and it won't come off??????? Oh crap it hits me, the chain retainer for the cap is long enough to reach the hot lead on the fuel pumps when we pointed nose down. proof that a fuel rich environment won't go boom without oxygen but scary as hell none the less.

I don't think you have this issue but I think that "certain turn" down the hill shifts the chassis or something to cause a momentary loss of ground.

zukIzzy said:
I don't think you have this issue but I think that "certain turn" down the hill shifts the chassis or something to cause a momentary loss of ground.
A possibility, I suppose.  However, it's a flat corner and I take it very slowly.  I really can't picture anything happening under those conditions that wouldn't happen on many other roads - especially the main road leading down to my road.

As I mentioned in my original posting, I suspect it has something to do with letting off while driving slowly and the A/C running.  Seems like I remember reading somewhere that a computerized system has a mode that basically does what the old dash pot did and prevents the fuel from cutting off too quick when you let off the gas.  I can picture this being able to cause the problem at very slow speeds yet not be a problem at higher speeds where the transmission will put torque on the engine.

Idle air controll should keep it running all the time but they go bad. If it started after working on it start there but don't get fixed on that.

I guess it couldn't be a "sticky" cruise control component that gets turned off when you restart the engine... or an a/c pump that gets locked out for a few moments when you restart the engine... or a bump in the road that pinches a tube somewhere for a short period...or a sudden electrical load that is angle dependent like the fridge...naw, it's gotta be a loose connection somewhere that is intermittant when it's really hot and steep.

it's gotta be a loose connection somewhere that is intermittant when it's really hot and steep.
Actually, I may not have described the road where this happens well enough.  The corner where we turn onto our road is fairly flat and our road remains fairly flat for maybe 100 feet where it begins a gradual incline for another 100 feet or so - then the bottom drops out.  The engine has cut out both times where it is still a gentle slope, just before hitting the steep slope.  So, it's probably not related to the road incline, but more related to speed (lack thereof) and a well heated engine.

Any chance it's a combination of the low idle speed and the work on the engine caused by the steering fluid pump in the corner? 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom