I want to coat my TPO roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfdchief

I want to coat my TPO roof.  It is on a 2000 Four Winds.  I can find roof coating for EPDM roofs but not TPO roofs.  Dicor seems to have "Ultra Sealant Primer and sealant" (in a tube) for TPO roofs but not entire roof coating. 

Why? Is it damaged or worn through?

They make coatings for TPO roofs on buildings, so I see no reason that stuff could not be used on an RV TPO roof too.
http://www.duracoolinc.com/elastomericroofcoatingfortporoofing.html

I've also seen a primer for TPO that enables use of more common elastomeric coatings. Here's one:
http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Commercial/Products/Elastomeric_Liquid_Membranes_Coatings_Sealants_Adhesives/TOPCOAT_TPO_Primer

Thanks Gary.  It is not worn through.  However, it is 15 years old and shows some degrading.  It is rough, not smooth as I suspect it was when new.  I purchased the RV last year, used.  It seems to have been taken realy good care of and I have gone on 4 trips now in both summer, fall and winter weather.  No issues except the oven, as you know.  I just thought that if I could coat the roof, I could increase its life.  I just have not been able to find a roof coating specifically for TPO roofs.  I will check out your links.  Strange, I think, that RV specific roof coatings for TPO don't seem to exist.  I also found some commercial TPO products.  EPDM coatings abound on all RV supplies sites.  Thanks, Steve

The manufacturers of TPO say that it should never need re-coating.  TPO, unlike EPDM, is white all the way through the product.  (EPDM is generally a black sheet with a white coating)

I would clean it and leave it alone.  You may find a clear sealant of some kind to use, but I suspect that just about any coating you choose will ultimately prove unsatisfactory.  JMHO

Well, even TPO can't last forever so eventually needs replacement or coating. If the surface is rough rather than the normal smooth, I too would suspect that deterioration is well-along and start thinking of what to do (and when). It's probably not an urgent problem, though.

I doubt if there is much market for RV TPO coating products. I would expect a TPO roof to last 20 years and probably longer, with little need for coating products. However, Dicor has developed a primer and a lap sealant specific for TPO which they feel is superior to standard RV lap sealants designed for EPDM roofs.

Gary.  I found the Dicor primer and a lap sealant specific for TPO but the lap cement was just that and came in a tube,  not gallons for coating.  So I contacted them and asked.  Here was their reply, "Our 2 part system ? Activator/Cleaner & Acrylic Coating are safe and effective for use on TPO roofs also."

The roof is now 15 years old.  I just wanted to be pro active.

Thanks for that info. Odd that Dicor doesn't mention TPO at all for that product, and strongly emphasizes EPDM. And they are a major supplier of RV TPO roofing membranes too, so it should be right up their alley.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Thanks for that info. Odd that Dicor doesn't mention TPO at all for that product, and strongly emphasizes EPDM. And they are a major supplier of RV TPO roofing membranes too, so it should be right up their alley.
I agree. 

Peterson Industries is proud to be the FIRST Original Equipment Manufacturer in the RV industry to offer Rhino Eco-Coat roof system on our Winslow and Wild Cargo model units.

This new system is virtually problem free and offers many benefits.  Those benefits include:
?Maintenance Free
?100% Seamless
?UV Inhibitor to protect from chalking
?Fire retardant system meets UL 790
?Can be easily patched when new equipment is added to the roof
?Not easily damaged like EPDM and TPO roofing material

Anyone familiar with this product that EXCEL RV is using?

Bob

Gary RV Roamer said:
Gary, I have done more research and there are several places, in instructions and RV 101 videos that state clearly that Dicor's roof coat 2 part system IS compatible with TPO roofing.  Don't know why they don't just state it up front.  Kind of expensive though.  $500 materials to do my roof.  I think maybe this summer I will use their cleaner and inspect it a little further.  I am just afraid that being 15 years old, that it needs rejuvinated.  I don't want it to leak.  The previous owner used some silicone seal in different places on the roof seams and the roof itself.  It seems to be OK but I know that probably wasn't a good idea.  When I got it, there was some signs of minor leaks around the windows and one above the bath.  Didn't seem to have caused to much damage and when I got it I checked and caulked everything.  Haven't detected any leaks since then.

for a DIY person, how much would a new membrane cost?  How much life will $500 worth of coating add?
Might be just as well to roll out a new membrane for 15 years?

blw2 said:
for a DIY person, how much would a new membrane cost?  How much life will $500 worth of coating add?
Might be just as well to roll out a new membrane for 15 years?
Yes.  You may very well be right.  I am still trying to figure that out.  However, I suspect that an new roof, new membrane, which I would have to hire done, will cost thousands.  So, still contemplating. 

Anyone have an opinion on the EPDM coatings advertised on this site, in the advertisement banner above?

You are right to be concerned about roof leaks, but be advised that leaks are rarely through the roof membrane itself. Nearly all leaks will be failures at the edges or around protrusions through the roof (antennas, vents, etc.), i.e. through or around degraded lap sealant. Coating a roof has the advantage of also coating the existing lap sealant, but you can achieve the same results by repairing the existing sealant. Scrape away any loose caulk, clean well, and apply new lap sealant where and as needed.

EPDM is a coated woven fabric to begin with, so subject to continual deterioration. The surface erodes until only the woven, non-waterproof, backing is left.  TPO is more of a solid membrane, almost a rubber sheet, so it remains waterproof as long as it is intact. I can't judge whether yours is on its last legs or not, so you need to make that call yourself.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You are right to be concerned about roof leaks, but be advised that leaks are rarely through the roof membrane itself. Nearly all leaks will be failures at the edges or around protrusions through the roof (antennas, vents, etc.), i.e. through or around degraded lap sealant. Coating a roof has the advantage of also coating the existing lap sealant, but you can achieve the same results by repairing the existing sealant. Scrape away any loose caulk, clean well, and apply new lap sealant where and as needed.

EPDM is a coated woven fabric to begin with, so subject to continual deterioration. The surface erodes until only the woven, non-waterproof, backing is left.  TPO is more of a solid membrane, almost a rubber sheet, so it remains waterproof as long as it is intact. I can't judge whether yours is on its last legs or not, so you need to make that call yourself.
Thanks Gary.  I think at this point, I am going to take a close look at it this summer and go from there.  I do have a better understanding now, and can make intelligent decisions I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom