I was told I could use a regular 5th wheel hitch on my short bed truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mud Puppy said:
Ok that helped, how hard is it to be able to get the ball in the slot? I guess not any worse than a TT It sure doesn't look like it would be strong enough but I watched the crush test on it so I guess it is good. Would I have to take off my Morryde king pin box? I kind of like the idea of the cushion effect of that box.
I use the Andersen with the MORYDE and it ride much smoother than the stock hitch that came on the trailer. You wont regret using that combo.

My boss brought his hitch over and I had the hitch guy check it out. There are brackets missing so I won't be able to use that. I was a little scared of the weight also. The hitch guy is going to bring a Companion hitch out and let me try it, again it is heavier than the Andersen and takes up more room, but I will give it a try.

I am sorry I am so concerned about the turning of the FW and hitting the cab of the truck. I did try a Companion hitch that drops in the gooseneck hole. I am happy with the amount of space I had when turning. I weighed the truck and trailer and am over on the RGAWR by 200# so want to do the Anderson hitch. It says it has a 51/4" offset. Offset from where to where. When I measured the Companion it was 8" from where it went into the gooseneck hole to the middle of the pin connector. If any of you that have the Anderson switched from a regular hitch did you really loose 3" of turning space. Sorry again for being so stupid about this turning thing. Cathy

One other question. I cannot see the companion hitch when sitting in the truck and backing to hitch up the trailer so I have to get out and make sure where I am. Does the Andersen sit higher? Would it be easier to see where I am?

I doubt the Andersen will sit any higher.  Two possible solutions:  Balls on a pole with a magnetic base, made for hitching conventional TT could be used to help "see" the hitch. Some FW with a slanted front have a small mirror molded into the cap, so you can see the hitch in the mirror.

I understand your desire to have all the answers.  I'm the same way, but at some point, you must just go for the goal - camping!  There will likely be folks at the campground willing to help guide you back to the hitch.

Mostly I just can't afford to make a $600 to $900 mistake. And want to have stress free towing. I do appreciate all your help and good information. Cathy

When I am backing to hook up I can turn around and see the top of the ball through the back window. It really is very simple to do. Rest assured you wont be wasting time or money with the andersen. :)

Thanks for your info. If I was a taller person I would be able to see the hitch, but I think the ball idea or the mirror would work. Thanks again. I just need to make a decision I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbwrecker
Back
Top Bottom